Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I dunno, even though he only has a small role in it, the original LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960) is ABSOLUTELY HORRID.

(Maltin gives it ***1/2 stars, I'd give it an outright F.)

There aren't many ROGER CORMAN films I like (the original NOT OF THIS EARTH I love) but JACK NICHOLSON's bit as the masochist is one of the few parts of LITTLE SHOP I like. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

There aren't many ROGER CORMAN films I like (the original NOT OF THIS EARTH I love) but JACK NICHOLSON's bit as the masochist is one of the few parts of LITTLE SHOP I like. 

THE TOMB OF LIGEA and THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH are both surprisingly decent.

Other than that though...

(PS- I just know CORMAN is gonna kick the bucket sometime soon and I'm gonna have to keep my yap shut out of common decency as all the obits calling him a "GENIUS AUTEUR GUERILLA FILMMAKER VISIONARY WHO CHANGED THE ART OF THE MEDIUM" start rolling out. For the record, ROGER CORMAN is- in my opinion- one of the absolute worst directors EVER.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

For the record, ROGER CORMAN is- in my opinion- one of the absolute worst directors EVER.

Oh no, you don't know how BAD BAD kin git!  Think : ANDY MILLIGAN  LARRY BUCHANAN  AL ADAMSON  WILLIAM GREFE ... :D

As far as Nicholson, I'll give him a pass on the early movies.  I think that Bill Murray did the Nicholson part in the remake with Rick Moranis (now a musical version).  He made some clunkers at the height of his popularity:  Missouri Breaks, that thing with him, Warren Beatty and Stockard Channing (something to do with fortune), The Two Jakes shouldn't have been made.  Unfortunately, unlike other actors, Nicholson began playing himself.

Now, would love to see what people come up with for Bette Midler.  Hocus Pocus is watchable only on TV (it is really dreadful), but she was in two remakes that didn't need to be remade:  The Women (the original with Norma Shearer is a period piece) and (I think she is in this) The Stepford Wives (the original with Katherine Ross was very scary - especially if you are a woman).

On a side note, Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard in Romeo and Juliet?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I dunno, even though he only has a small role in it, the original LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960) is ABSOLUTELY HORRID.

(Maltin gives it ***1/2 stars, I'd give it an outright F.)

What were you expecting?   Given the subject matter, cast and director I think it lived up to it's expectations.  ;) 

And really, audiences loved the movie due mostly to it's (and maybe intended) campiness  and Nicholson once said that upon seeing it on the big screen for the first time, "The audience was laughing so hard I could barely hear the dialogue."  :D  That it did well and was successful must mean it was "great", eh?  ;) :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Hocus Pocus is watchable only on TV (it is really dreadful)

I like that movie quite a bit!  KATHY NAJIMYOMRI KATZ

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That it did well and was successful must mean it was "great", eh?

:rolleyes: ... No.  But it is well worth noting.  Hell, people love them later STAR WARS movies and they're very successful.  Sometimes our personal tastes part with the crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

JACK NICHOLSON : THE TERROR (1963) Boring.

Have to agree with you there. That movie was a bore, even with him and the great Boris Karloff in here.

Sorry Sepiatone, but once again I have to disagree with you on this. I love THE DEPARTED and though Jack was at the top of his game in there.

For the most part I enjoy Jack's performances, whether he's restraint or wildly overplaying it.

Where Jack was too over-the-top even for my taste, where even I couldn't find anything to enjoy about it, was GOIN' SOUTH (in which he also directed). It didn't help that his character was too obnoxious.

• Thanks 1

And just want to add this, I also like THE MISSOURI BREAKS and THE FORTUNE, though I can understand why a lot of folks might not find either movie to their taste.

And Jack IMO is one of the best things about REDS, a well-made movie but a bit too overlong for me. He played a very convincingly Eugene O'Neill. I heard that even O'Neill's daughter (whom he disowned for marrying Charlie Chaplin as I heard it) sent him a personal compliment about it.

And I just thought of another clunker that had Gene Hackman in it (as well as featuring Mickey Rooney, Richard Widmark, Candice Bergan and Edward Albert)…. 1977's THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE, directed by none other than Stanley Kramer.

Kramer was past his critical acclaim and not directing and producing very much projects as he was in the 50's and 60's. His films were tagged as 'films with a message" but THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE was such an unholy mess of a movie, I haven't the least bit idea what he was trying to say with that one. If he was just out to entertain the audience he failed with me.

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

And just want to add this, I also like THE MISSOURI BREAKS and THE FORTUNE, though I can understand why a lot of folks might not find either movie to their taste.

And Jack IMO is one of the best things about REDS, a well-made movie but a bit too overlong for me. He played a very convincingly Eugene O'Neill. I heard that even O'Neill's daughter (whom he disowned for marrying Charlie Chaplin as I heard it) sent him a personal compliment about it.

I agree, THE MISSOURI BREAKS is not exactly likeable, but MARLON BRANDO is a damned creepy character in that one.  I thought JACK NICHOLSON was good. 

I don't care much for WARREN BEATTY, but JACK NICHOLSON is good in REDS

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

And I just thought of another clunker that had Gene Hackman in it (as well as featuring Mickey Rooney, Richard Widmark, Candice Bergan and Edward Albert)…. 1977's THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE, directed by none other than Stanley Kramer.

Kramer was past his critical acclaim and not directing and producing very much projects as he was in the 50's and 60's. His films were tagged as 'films with a message" but THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE was such an unholy mess of a movie, I haven't the least bit idea what he was trying to say with that one. If he was just out to entertain the audience he failed with me.

Can it be worse than SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE tho?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Can it be worse than SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE tho?

OMG, you got me there! Now that was a real stinker!

Come to think of it, I think SUPERMAN IV just might beat out THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE (though just barely) but still I believe LOOSE CANNONS ranks as Hackman's absolute worst, but the other 2 films are close behind.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

OMG, you got me there! Now that was a real stinker!

Come to think of it, I think SUPERMAN IV just might beat out THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE (though just barely) but still I believe LOOSE CANNONS ranks as Hackman's absolute worst, but the other 2 films are close behind.

I' am a Gene Hackman completist -i'am missing only Banning-his swan song was  his worst : MOOSEPORT  (sorry i cannot insert the ' great' poster).He cashed his check and retired.Since Scarecrow was a stiff in 73,Hackman always selected his roles with the value of the paycheck coming with it,he passed on many good ones but no more art films for him as a result: a rich guy with many stinkers, unfortunately...

• Like 1

I just saw Mooseport (not a Tim Allen fan, but then, there probably is a thread about TV stars who could never become major film stars - include Tim Allen, Debra Messing, Henry Winkler among those).    As for Star Wars, only like the three original Lucas movies.  As for another Ford (Harrison) franchise, I find the second installment of Indy, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom unwatchable - and no offense to the second Mrs. Spielberg, but her incessant screeching was unbearable. 

As for comments on box office receipts, cheaply made horror films often top the list.  Also, depends upon release date of film (e.g., summer vs. fall) and competition.

Interesting comment re: Hackman and paycheck.  Some actors will take a large paycheck to finance or star in a film with a better film.

35 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Interesting comment re: Hackman and paycheck.  Some actors will take a large paycheck to finance or star in a film with a better film.

Not Gene, for his first divorce maybe …. but paycheck was the incentive,you would never believe what he turned down...

2 hours ago, nakano said:

I' am a Gene Hackman completist -i'am missing only Banning-his swan song was  his worst : MOOSEPORT  (sorry i cannot insert the ' great' poster).He cashed his check and retired.Since Scarecrow was a stiff in 73,Hackman always selected his roles with the value of the paycheck coming with it,he passed on many good ones but no more art films for him as a result: a rich guy with many stinkers, unfortunately...

Here's one nobody mentions:  Hackman phoning in a day's work--almost literally as well as figuratively--as the offscreen voice of God in Two of a Kind (1983).  The one-day-at-the-mike boredom is more palpable than his onscreen one in Superman IV.

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I just saw Mooseport (not a Tim Allen fan, but then, there probably is a thread about TV stars who could never become major film stars - include Tim Allen, Debra Messing, Henry Winkler among those).   

Tim Allen wasn't in WELCOME TO MOOSEPORT, Ray Romano was.

Indeed there are a lot of TV actors who are quite popular on their shows but can't quite make the transition onto the big screen. If I recall MOOSEPORT was no blockbuster hit, and I don't recall seeing Romano in any other feature film since then.

Allen did make the SANTA CLAUSE movies, the first one was a hit, I don't know about the other two. His other movies outside of that have only been so-so.

There are exceptions to the rule. Robin Williams started out on TV's MORK AND MINDY and had quite a successful film career. Ron Howard started out as Opie Taylor on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, became Richie Cunningham in HAPPY DAYS, and moved behind the camera and became a successful, Oscar-winning director.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nakano said:

Not Gene, for his first divorce maybe …. but paycheck was the incentive,you would never believe what he turned down...

What film roles did Gene Hackman turn down?  

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Of course, Nicholson's early movies weren't all that great, but it'd be hard for me to choose which one, between THE TERROR and HELL'S ANGELS ON WHEELS('67) was worse.

After he became "hot stuff" (after EASY RIDER) in my opinion, THE DEPARTED ('06) was Nicholson at his "over-the-top-psycho" worst.

But THE TWO JAKES ('90) is close on it's heels.

Sepiatone

I've always thought if The Two Jakes had been edited better, it would have actually been a fairly good follow-up to Chinatown.

(...but alas, it seems as if director Jack got a case of "Cimino-itis" after filming ended)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Some actors will take a large paycheck to finance or star in a film with a better film.

Correct.   E.g.  Leslie Howard taking the role of Ashley Wilkes because Selznick agreed to finance and produce Intermezzo.   

Intermezzo: A Love Story

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Correct.   E.g.  Leslie Howard taking the role of Ashley Wilkes because Selznick agreed to finance and produce Intermezzo.   

Intermezzo: A Love Story

Yes, but then again, Leslie WAS always so good at playing that "torn between two lovers"(feeling like a fool...loving both of you is breaking all the rules...ahem...sorry, couldn't resist) oh so damn sensitive, over-intellectualizing type, ya know.

(...and so NATUARALLY Selznick wanted him and ONLY him for that role in his Civil War flick, and so I guess one could say Leslie had David by the "short hairs" here!)

LOL

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, but then again, Leslie WAS always so good at played that "torn between two lovers"

I always think of him as "the dying dreamer" (GWTW ... PETRIFIED FOREST)...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I always think of him as "the dying dreamer" (GWTW ... PETRIFIED FOREST)...

Yep, as James here would probably tell ya (and considering as James has mentioned a time or two around here that The Petrified Forest is one of his favorite films of all time if not his actual favorite) Leslie's traveling intellectual/dying dreamer character in that movie would seem to typecast him as that type, and because he WAS so good in that type of role.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stoopnagle said:

What film roles did Gene Hackman turn down?  

He wanted to be in Klute but Jane Fonda wanted Donald Sutherland but it was in 1971 After the stiff of Scarecrow in 1973 Hackman mainly concentrated on acting for money, turning down such films as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) and Network (1976) for roles in films like March or Die (1977) and Lucky Lady (1975) that offered him fatter paychecks.He was the first choice to play Dr. Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs (1991) he was also offered a chance to direct it.
One of the lead roles in Network (1976)the lead role of Roy Neary in Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)the leading role in Sorcerer (1977) that went to Roy Scheider,the role of Dr. Berger in Ordinary People (1980)) he said'I didn't turn it down, we couldn't make a deal.'Turned down the lead roles in Jaws (1975), and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3