Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, spence said:

she looked just awful by then didn't she, wasn't known to be another big drinker, but chain smoked big-time

But it gave us one of the most imitated Bette Davis lines (second only to "Fasten your seatbelts...")

I'd post the one from Klinger on M*A*S*H but I can't find it at the moment.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

But it gave us one of the most imitated Bette Davis lines (second only to "Fasten your seatbelts...")

I'd post the one from Klinger on M*A*S*H but I can't find it at the moment.

as great as M(A(S9H is, who saw what i still rank as Altman's finest 1971's Western McCabe & Mrs. Miller

2 hours ago, spence said:

was a bit surprised when everybody attacked The Two Jakes thought it was ok (**1/2)   Keitel stole the show though

I enjoyed THE TWO JAKES myself, though I was a bit annoyed that we never got a satisfactory answer to what became of Noah Cross. He's mentioned once throughout the whole film.

I know John Huston had died 2 years earlier, but he was so subtly evil as Noah Cross in CHINATOWN, Cross should have been a bit more than just a footnote in the sequel....(SPOILER ALERT) especially when we learn the true identity of the other Jake's (Harvey Keitel) wife Kitty (Meg Tilly).

9 minutes ago, MusicalsGalore said:

Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, has to be one of his "Worst" roles. I much preferred him in "The African Queen" and "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" 

I think his turn in Dark Victory is unfortunate and ranks below the other roles listed.  His attempt at an Irish accent is a regrettable choice.  They simply could have eliminated the accent.   It doesn't really add anything to the story.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I think his turn in Dark Victory is unfortunate and ranks below the other roles listed.  His attempt at an Irish accent is a regrettable choice.  They simply could have eliminated the accent.   It doesn't really add anything to the story.

Irish accent?  Are you thinking of LADY FROM SHANGHAI

21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think TRACY's Jekyll and Hyde is thickly sliced ham... and good/bad as it is, that one I don't like.  I'm not a fan though of his CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS "The leetle feeshes..."  and there's a lot to like... except his performance!

HMmmm....  Of the few versions of that story I've seen I prefer TRACY'S version of Jekyll and Hyde most.  And sorry too, me and most of the folks here probably separate when it comes to FREDERIC MARCH and his SKINNY MONKEY version. Looks more like a SATIRE to me.  And not as GOOD a satire as SNL's "Dr. Jekyll and Mister Rogers"  with Dan Ackroyd  when CHRISTOPHER LEE was guest hosting.  :D   And CAPTAIN'S COURAGEOUS?  Well Tracy's performance(to me) is MUCH easier to take than FREDDIE BARTHOLOMEW, who often can be as annoying as Ritchie on "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  :huh:  And IMHO

Tracy's worst film was THE MOUNTAIN ('56) He just seemed too out of place in that one.

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I prefer TRACY'S version of Jekyll and Hyde most.  And sorry too, me and most of the folks here probably separate when it comes to FREDERIC MARCH and his SKINNY MONKEY version.

FREDRIC MARCH's version is light years better maybe 'cause of the hideous makeup.  I won't point out any Oscars, of course MGM bought and destroyed thousands of copies of the 1931 in order to protect SPENCER TRACY's performance and their cash cow.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I assume the thick accent was done to show that the character was a foreigner in contrast to the other all American males in the film,   especially the Reagan character;   These two characters were completely different "types" as demonstrated by how they each interacted with the Bette Davis character.         The he-is-a-foreigner adds to these contrasts and is a fairly common film-making cheap-trick. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

One might think MGM destroyed all those copies of March's "Jekyll ans Hyde" in order to protect Mr. March's reputation

The films are a decade apart, and the 1931 is lewdly pre-code.  It's the only MIRIAM HOPKINS performance I admire.  She's usually fun to watch, but that one!  GREAT Horror movie. 

Thank you TCM that's how I finally got to look at both!  INGRID BERGMAN is the reason to look at the SPENCER TRACY version.  I think TCM also showed the JOHN BARRYMORE silent (1920?)

Hugh Grant in Nine Months (1995).  It's like a hostage video.   I remember this as the first Hollywood movie he did after hitting it big in Four Weddings and a Funeral.   Grant is a child psychologist who reacts childishly when he learns his girlfriend, Julianne Moore, is pregnant.   At one point Hugh Grant is paired with Tom Arnold and they're assaulting a Barney the dinosaur look-alike in a toy store.   It's slapstick garbage.   Robin Williams makes a hammy cameo as a Russian OB-GYN.  

Nine Months review (1995) Hugh Grant - Qwipster's Movie Reviews

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kingrat said:

Bogart as a Frito Bandito character in Virginia City is not inspired casting.

With regards to "not inspired casting" either was the casting of Miriam Hopkins in this western;     DeHaviland was originally cast but was replaced by Brenda Marshall.    In that regard Hopkins is an upgrade,  but Ann Sheridan would have been a better fit.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Judi Dench should have turned down Murder on the Orient Express - please not another debacle with K.B. as Hercule?

I thought JUDI DENCH was wasted because the whole movie was about KB and the moustache.  It does look great with all good performances.   AGATHA CHRISTIE liked the 1974 version and her only criticism was of ALBERT FINNEY's moustache.  She pointed out that she had written that Hercule Poirot had the finest moustache in Europe... I expect that informed KB fer sher. 

• Haha 1