Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudy's Girl

Happy Birthday, America!

I know it's a little early, but fireworks have already been going off where I live. America will soon be 244. What are some patriotic films that you like? Here are a few ideas.

* I respectfully ask no politics in this thread, please.

Annex%20-%20Hutton,%20Betty%20(Annie%20G

I watch this every fourth of July! (Sorry, no clip. Video wouldn't let me.)

AFI20_YANKEEDOODLEDANDY_6273_DigitalElem

I love The Andrews Sisters!

I know this song isn't patriotic, but they were wartime favorites. Taken from In the Navy (1941) not 1943.

• Like 1

TCM will only be showing 3 July 4th related films;

John Paul Jones (1959),    1776 (1972) and Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942).

One could say their The Essential prime-time line-up is related to the holiday;  Small Town Americana 

All musicals like The Music Man,  Bye Bye Birdie,  On the Town and Take Me out to the Ball Game which if I'm not mistaken all have scenes that take place around the holiday.   

(with what looks like Noir Alley showing The Sign of the Ram (1948))

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY does it for me, every time.

James Cagney is so energetic in it, and I just adore the songs in it. It's easy to see why it was his favorite film (for which he won his only Oscar for).

• Like 2

Thankfully, Disney+ is showing Johnny Tremain (1957), and the Disneyland episode featuring "Ben & Me"--

So, between that and "Hamilton", I can take a break from my traditional annual singalong viewing of 1776 (1972).  

(On disk, that is, not its new Columbia-Orphan showable status on TCM, which is how they got to show Bye Bye Birdie, too.)   🦅 🔔

I'm more of a Decoration Day "visit our family and friends monuments" type of guy than a Fourth Of July "Lite 'Em Up BANG BANG BANG" type of guy, but am planning a nice quiet time with family.  My family members who served in WWII are gone, but not forgotten.  My one humble storyteller of an old uncle who served would probably just chuckle and say "what do you want to watch that old junk for".  Must be a generation gap thing, plus he is no longer around to tell us stories.  😁

• Like 2

Patriotic movie, ya say?

Well, I've always thought THIS one which in essence sings the praises of America's institutions, but at the same time also warns of the dangers to a lack of properly shepherding them, is just about the most patriotic movie that's ever come out of Hollywood...

tumblr_p4h3jzhAtR1wlpbg7o3_400.gif

(...and which stars one of THE most REAL patriotic men who ever graced the silver screen)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SansFin said:

N1Y7wnj.jpg?1

Although most, with home fireworks, fall into the three categories of:

• Like 1

I have Kodachrome prints of most of Warner Bros' (filmed in Technicolor) historical shorts from the 30's and early 40's. My favorite is Michael Curtiz' SONS OF LIBERTY with Claude Rains.

I'll be posting this on my FB page on the 4th, but since we're ahead of schedule here, below is a link to my upload of Edward G. Robinson's outstanding recording of Edward Everett Hale's THE MAN WITHOUT A COUNTRY (also one of the Warner shorts). I never get tired of listening to this.

23 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I'll be posting this on my FB page on the 4th, but since we're ahead of schedule here, below is a link to my upload of Edward G. Robinson's outstanding recording of Edward Everett Hale's THE MAN WITHOUT A COUNTRY (also one of the Warner shorts). I never get tired of listening to this.

Oh-hoho, well, yesss, that's, er...Oh, wait, sorry, Edward Everett HALE.  I always get them confused.

54454.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oh-hoho, well, yesss, that's, er...Oh, wait, sorry, Edward Everett HALE.  I always get them confused.

54454.jpg

Pssst, hey Eric.

I thought of this one too yesterday.

(...but decided THIS one was even beneath ME!)  ;)

Re: Happy Birthday, America!

Your thread title reminded me of the scene in "Smokey and The Bandit".  Even though it's NOT a 4th of July movie, it was filmed during the 1976  Bicentennial where the banner below stood out.

8a-waynes-e1496450801715.jpg?w=399&h=215

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 6:52 PM, SansFin said:

N1Y7wnj.jpg?1

EjDhr5V.png

For some reason there is a large increase in the number of people purchasing and shooting off fireworks right now.  Even in states and municipalities where they are illegal.  Theories link it to people confined to home too long, not going out enough or just plain bored.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheCid said:

For some reason there is a large increase in the number of people purchasing and shooting off fireworks right now.  Even in states and municipalities where they are illegal.  Theories link it to people confined to home too long, not going out enough or just plain bored.

There's buffoons in my neighborhood that set off fireworks two weeks BEFORE and 'bout THREE weeks AFTER the 4th.  And that's gone on for at least six years BEFORE the pandemic.  So, what's their excuse?  Anyway...

Your movie picks work for me too, RUDY'S GIRL.   I would only add the more contemporary THE PATRIOT( 2000) .

Sepiatone

I don't really know if Independence Day counts since it is an alien movie, but this speech of Bill Pullman's is good for flag-waving.

1 hour ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I don't really know if Independence Day counts since it is an alien movie, but this speech of Bill Pullman's is good for flag-waving.

It is considered an Independence Day movie

Also a mystery film...how in the heck did Jeff interface the 1990's laptop into an alien computer system THOUSANDS of years ahead of us beside it is an ALIEN computer system!? :wacko:

Uploading-Virus-Independence-Day.jpg

UPLOADING PLOTHOLE  

• Like 2