Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Iconic “North by Northwest” monument focus of “woke” forces?

Amid protests over racial injustice and police brutality around the nation, statues that celebrate America's historical figures associated with slavery have come under fire and are being torn down.

Mount Rushmore depicts U.S. presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln in huge granite in South Dakota's Black Hills. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were known enslavers.

ap_19081671420341_custom-2ae1bfad5cef36f

So, when is our woke revisionist priesthood going to insist on blowing up Mount Rushmore? :o

16 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

Our Fathers' doing their part to stop the spread…

Rushmore-surgical-masks-img.jpg

…of a destructive worldwide illness.

This reminds me...didn't the artist Christo just die???

(...this would've been right up his alley, wouldn't ya think?)

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, jakeem said:

It just needs a little updating, that's all.

See the source image

So, I suppose this was your way of sayin', ahem, "Black Presidents Matter", jakeem???  ;)

(...don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't have a problem with this...it would sure be an improvement over the one Tom posted a picture of up there, anyway)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, I suppose this was your way of sayin', ahem, "Black Presidents Matter", jakeem???  ;)

(...don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't have a problem with this...it would sure be an improvement over the one Tom posted a picture of up there, anyway)

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is what you get when you have a nation of kids with nothing else to do. No school, most businesses are closed, no sports, beaches and parks closed. Can't even go to the movies.

Did they really think young people would just sit in the house all summer ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I know what you mean.  This Cronavirus is kind of driving me a little crazy too.  I’m ready for it to be over and for everything to be back to normal.  Not the new normal.  Normal normal.  Nice pictures of Mount Rush More/Alfred Hitchcock’s filming location for North By Northwest everybody.  This is one of my very favorite movies of his.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I know what you mean.  This Cronavirus is kind of driving me a little crazy too.  I’m ready for it to be over and for everything to be back to normal.  Not the new normal.  Normal normal.  Nice pictures of Mount Rush More/Alfred Hitchcock’s filming location for North By Northwest everybody.  This is one of my very favorite movies of his.

giphy.gif

"Just think Leo. Sixty years from now some people will be saying two of these fellows shouldn't be up there!"

--"Hrumph!"

• Like 1

I'm sure people with expertise in such things, armed with drills and sledge hammers could do the job.

That would leave a large space in the mountain, so why not replace it with this. Yes, they're English,

but, as far as I can tell, they were never slaveholders. 

R-8322290-1546869682-8413.jpeg.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I'm sure people with expertise in such things, armed with drills and sledge hammers could do the job.

That would leave a large space in the mountain, so why not replace it with this. Yes, they're English,

but, as far as I can tell, they were never slaveholders. 

R-8322290-1546869682-8413.jpeg.jpg

Well, there WAS that one night they were in Poughkeepsie for a gig and when they wouldn't let that one cute little blonde groupie leave they became so fond of.

(...but then again I suppose that could possibly be considered her own fault for being so good at what she did)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well, there WAS that one night they were in Poughkeepsie for a gig and when they wouldn't let that one cute little blonde groupie leave they became so fond of.

(...but then again I suppose that could possibly be considered her own fault for being so good at what she did)

In defense of Purple, she was a strange kind of woman. There were also complaints from the roadies

about the work load. I went to a Deep Purple concert in New York, though it wasn't in Poughkeepsie,

at least I don't think it was in Poughkeepsie. 

11 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

In defense of Purple, she was a strange kind of woman. There were also complaints from the roadies

about the work load. I went to a Deep Purple concert in New York, though it wasn't in Poughkeepsie,

at least I don't think it was in Poughkeepsie. 

Hey, all I wanna know is if they performed MY favorite song of theirs?

That being, "(My) Woman from Tokyo".

(...I remember rockin' to it with those old hollow tube style earphones while on that TWA flight from LAX to HNL back in the early-'70s...my first ever non-rev flight anywhere when I first started with the airlines)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Hey, all I wanna know is if they performed MY favorite song of theirs?

That being, "(My) Woman from Tokyo".

(...I remember rockin' to it with those old hollow tube style earphones while on that TWA flight from LAX to HNL back in the early-'70s...my first ever non-rev flight anywhere when I first started with the airlines)

I don't think they did. This concert was the year before My Woman from Tok-kay-o was released.

I liked that song too, though not as much as Smoke on the Water. 

6 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

So, when is our woke revisionist priesthood going to insist on blowing up Mount Rushmore? :o

(searches YouTube)

...Oh, c'mon, SOMEONE'S got to have a clip of that theater silence-your-cellphone ad, about Michael Bay paying off park rangers so he can blow up the real Mount Rushmore for one of his Transformers movies!  ("Robots...from space!")

8 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Amid protests over racial injustice and police brutality around the nation, statues that celebrate America's historical figures associated with slavery have come under fire and are being torn down.

Mount Rushmore depicts U.S. presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln in huge granite in South Dakota's Black Hills. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were known enslavers.

ap_19081671420341_custom-2ae1bfad5cef36f

Oh, I get it.  You're just trying to provoke.  Didn't have anything else to do today?  I tried provoking a rock, once.  It just sat there.  Most provoking.

With regard to the reference.  I am sure all the persons represented in that gargantuan offense to the natural beauty of the area, had they the opportunity to see it, would have been horrified at the appropriation of their images for quasi-deification--to say nothing of the monuments on the Mall.  Had they the choice, they would have demurred, saying the place was good enough as it was.

11 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Oh, I get it.  You're just trying to provoke.  Didn't have anything else to do today?  I tried provoking a rock, once.  It just sat there.  Most provoking.

With regard to the reference.  I am sure all the persons represented in that gargantuan offense to the natural beauty of the area, had they the opportunity to see it, would have been horrified at the appropriation of their images for quasi-deification--to say nothing of the monuments on the Mall.  Had they the choice, they would have demurred, saying the place was good enough as it was.

Oh, I dunno about that, slayton.

It was said Thomas up there had QUITE the ego, ya know.  ;)

(..oh sure, not NEARLY an ego the size of the blowhard CURRENTLY holding the office, but still...)

thomas-jefferson-gravestone-complete.jpg

HERE WAS BURIED
THOMAS JEFFERSON
AUTHOR OF THE DECLARATION OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE
OF THE STATUTE OF VIRGINIA FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
AND FATHER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA.

Thomas Jefferson's gravestone, designed by himself.

Jefferson said, “On the faces of the Obelisk the following inscription, & not a word more.”  He continued by writing, “because by these, as testimonials that I have lived, I wish most to be remembered.”

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

thomas-jefferson-gravestone-complete.jpg

HERE WAS BURIED
THOMAS JEFFERSON
AUTHOR OF THE DECLARATION OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE
OF THE STATUTE OF VIRGINIA FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
AND FATHER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA.

Thomas Jefferson's gravestone, designed by himself.

Jefferson said, “On the faces of the Obelisk the following inscription, & not a word more.”  He continued by writing, “because by these, as testimonials that I have lived, I wish most to be remembered.”

Okay, OKAY, already!

(...maybe I was thinkin' of Teddy up there instead)  ;)

LOL

14 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Bully!

Yes, there was certainly Teddy's "Bully", alright.

But THEN there was ALSO Sam the Sham's  "WOOLY Bully" TOO!

(...people tend to forget that now days, ya know)