Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Iconic “North by Northwest” monument focus of “woke” forces?


Recommended Posts

Amid protests over racial injustice and police brutality around the nation, statues that celebrate America's historical figures associated with slavery have come under fire and are being torn down.

Mount Rushmore depicts U.S. presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln in huge granite in South Dakota's Black Hills. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were known enslavers.

ap_19081671420341_custom-2ae1bfad5cef36f

So, when is our woke revisionist priesthood going to insist on blowing up Mount Rushmore? :o

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

Our Fathers' doing their part to stop the spread…

Rushmore-surgical-masks-img.jpg

…of a destructive worldwide illness.

 

This reminds me...didn't the artist Christo just die???

(...this would've been right up his alley, wouldn't ya think?)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jakeem said:

It just needs a little updating, that's all.

See the source image

So, I suppose this was your way of sayin', ahem, "Black Presidents Matter", jakeem???  ;)

(...don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't have a problem with this...it would sure be an improvement over the one Tom posted a picture of up there, anyway)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, I suppose this was your way of sayin', ahem, "Black Presidents Matter", jakeem???  ;)

(...don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't have a problem with this...it would sure be an improvement over the one Tom posted a picture of up there, anyway)

See the source image

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what you get when you have a nation of kids with nothing else to do. No school, most businesses are closed, no sports, beaches and parks closed. Can't even go to the movies.

Did they really think young people would just sit in the house all summer ?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean.  This Cronavirus is kind of driving me a little crazy too.  I’m ready for it to be over and for everything to be back to normal.  Not the new normal.  Normal normal.  Nice pictures of Mount Rush More/Alfred Hitchcock’s filming location for North By Northwest everybody.  This is one of my very favorite movies of his.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I know what you mean.  This Cronavirus is kind of driving me a little crazy too.  I’m ready for it to be over and for everything to be back to normal.  Not the new normal.  Normal normal.  Nice pictures of Mount Rush More/Alfred Hitchcock’s filming location for North By Northwest everybody.  This is one of my very favorite movies of his.

giphy.gif

"Just think Leo. Sixty years from now some people will be saying two of these fellows shouldn't be up there!"

--"Hrumph!"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure people with expertise in such things, armed with drills and sledge hammers could do the job.

That would leave a large space in the mountain, so why not replace it with this. Yes, they're English,

but, as far as I can tell, they were never slaveholders. 

 

R-8322290-1546869682-8413.jpeg.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I'm sure people with expertise in such things, armed with drills and sledge hammers could do the job.

That would leave a large space in the mountain, so why not replace it with this. Yes, they're English,

but, as far as I can tell, they were never slaveholders. 

 

R-8322290-1546869682-8413.jpeg.jpg

Well, there WAS that one night they were in Poughkeepsie for a gig and when they wouldn't let that one cute little blonde groupie leave they became so fond of.

(...but then again I suppose that could possibly be considered her own fault for being so good at what she did)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well, there WAS that one night they were in Poughkeepsie for a gig and when they wouldn't let that one cute little blonde groupie leave they became so fond of.

(...but then again I suppose that could possibly be considered her own fault for being so good at what she did)

In defense of Purple, she was a strange kind of woman. There were also complaints from the roadies

about the work load. I went to a Deep Purple concert in New York, though it wasn't in Poughkeepsie,

at least I don't think it was in Poughkeepsie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

In defense of Purple, she was a strange kind of woman. There were also complaints from the roadies

about the work load. I went to a Deep Purple concert in New York, though it wasn't in Poughkeepsie,

at least I don't think it was in Poughkeepsie. 

Hey, all I wanna know is if they performed MY favorite song of theirs?

That being, "(My) Woman from Tokyo".

(...I remember rockin' to it with those old hollow tube style earphones while on that TWA flight from LAX to HNL back in the early-'70s...my first ever non-rev flight anywhere when I first started with the airlines)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Hey, all I wanna know is if they performed MY favorite song of theirs?

That being, "(My) Woman from Tokyo".

(...I remember rockin' to it with those old hollow tube style earphones while on that TWA flight from LAX to HNL back in the early-'70s...my first ever non-rev flight anywhere when I first started with the airlines)

I don't think they did. This concert was the year before My Woman from Tok-kay-o was released.

I liked that song too, though not as much as Smoke on the Water. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

So, when is our woke revisionist priesthood going to insist on blowing up Mount Rushmore? :o

(searches YouTube)

...Oh, c'mon, SOMEONE'S got to have a clip of that theater silence-your-cellphone ad, about Michael Bay paying off park rangers so he can blow up the real Mount Rushmore for one of his Transformers movies!  ("Robots...from space!")

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Amid protests over racial injustice and police brutality around the nation, statues that celebrate America's historical figures associated with slavery have come under fire and are being torn down.

Mount Rushmore depicts U.S. presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln in huge granite in South Dakota's Black Hills. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were known enslavers.

ap_19081671420341_custom-2ae1bfad5cef36f

So, when is our woke revisionist priesthood going to insist on blowing up Mount Rushmore? :o

Oh, I get it.  You're just trying to provoke.  Didn't have anything else to do today?  I tried provoking a rock, once.  It just sat there.  Most provoking.

With regard to the reference.  I am sure all the persons represented in that gargantuan offense to the natural beauty of the area, had they the opportunity to see it, would have been horrified at the appropriation of their images for quasi-deification--to say nothing of the monuments on the Mall.  Had they the choice, they would have demurred, saying the place was good enough as it was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Oh, I get it.  You're just trying to provoke.  Didn't have anything else to do today?  I tried provoking a rock, once.  It just sat there.  Most provoking.

With regard to the reference.  I am sure all the persons represented in that gargantuan offense to the natural beauty of the area, had they the opportunity to see it, would have been horrified at the appropriation of their images for quasi-deification--to say nothing of the monuments on the Mall.  Had they the choice, they would have demurred, saying the place was good enough as it was.

Oh, I dunno about that, slayton.

It was said Thomas up there had QUITE the ego, ya know.  ;)

(..oh sure, not NEARLY an ego the size of the blowhard CURRENTLY holding the office, but still...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

thomas-jefferson-gravestone-complete.jpg

 

HERE WAS BURIED
THOMAS JEFFERSON
AUTHOR OF THE DECLARATION OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE
OF THE STATUTE OF VIRGINIA FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
AND FATHER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA.

Thomas Jefferson's gravestone, designed by himself.

Jefferson said, “On the faces of the Obelisk the following inscription, & not a word more.”  He continued by writing, “because by these, as testimonials that I have lived, I wish most to be remembered.”

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

thomas-jefferson-gravestone-complete.jpg

 

HERE WAS BURIED
THOMAS JEFFERSON
AUTHOR OF THE DECLARATION OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE
OF THE STATUTE OF VIRGINIA FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
AND FATHER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA.

Thomas Jefferson's gravestone, designed by himself.

Jefferson said, “On the faces of the Obelisk the following inscription, & not a word more.”  He continued by writing, “because by these, as testimonials that I have lived, I wish most to be remembered.”

Okay, OKAY, already!

 (...maybe I was thinkin' of Teddy up there instead)  ;)

LOL

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Bully!

Yes, there was certainly Teddy's "Bully", alright.

But THEN there was ALSO Sam the Sham's  "WOOLY Bully" TOO!

(...people tend to forget that now days, ya know)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...