Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old Film Lover

1960s Film -- Old House/Dysfunctional Family/Murder Themes

Hi!  I'm trying to recall the name of a film I saw 50 years or so ago on TV -- I think it was originally a feature film but I suppose it could have been a TV movie -- about a sort of family reunion in the old family home.  I think the setting was American.  A young married couple, or a couple about to be married, returns to the old family home -- I think of the bride.  They stay over at least one night, maybe for a weekend.  The family contains a number of suspicious characters, and there is at least one "black sheep" character -- I think a fairly young blonde-haired guy.  One or more of the family members is insane and/or has some grudge against other members or regarding the ownership of the estate.  Some people are murdered or almost murdered over the weekend.  At one point either the man or woman of the newlyweds says to the other: "I shouldn't have brought you back here to my family" or the like.  I seem to recall some threatening scenes in a garage or in a guest house out in the back yard, and I seem to recall that the house was a bit out of the way from the rest of civilization, but not a really ancient mansion, and I don't recall any butlers, maids, or servants, just family members.  I think that the house had two stories, and that at some point the bride and groom or engaged couple are separated, with the man perhaps giving the woman a gun and telling her not to leave her room.  I think the newlyweds want to leave but for some reason can't -- maybe the car has been sabotaged or the like.  Near the very end of the film it is finally revealed which of the creepy family members is behind the terror.  It was probably in black and white but might have been in color.  I'm guessing from what I remember of the acting and camera styles that the film was from the early 1960s, but it might have been a bit later.  I don't recall any big-name stars.  It seems to me it was a moderately good drama as a time-passer, and though it wasn't a classic but in many ways routine, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  (P.S. I thought for a minute it might be the 1964 creepy house movie starring Pat Boone, but that one seems to be a comedy with Boone singing, and this one isn't a comedy and there's no singing.)  Any ideas?

From your description, I decided it couldn't be James Whale's The Old Dark House (1932), with Melvyn Douglas, Lilian Bond, Charles Laughton, and Gloria Stewart, despite the plot similarities.

But it was remade in 1963 by William Castle, and starring Tom Poston and Robert Morely:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/27813/The-Old-Dark-House/

Click on the READ THE FULL SYNOPSIS icon for a longer description.

4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

From your description, I decided it couldn't be James Whale's The Old Dark House (1932), with Melvyn Douglas, Lilian Bond, Charles Laughton, and Gloria Stewart, despite the plot similarities.

But it was remade in 1963 by William Castle, and starring Tom Poston and Robert Morely:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/27813/The-Old-Dark-House/

Click on the READ THE FULL SYNOPSIS icon for a longer description.

Thanks very much for this reply, but I have both versions of The Old Dark House and it's neither of those.  In this film, the actors are pretty much no-name folks, nobody famous like Morely or Karloff.  That's why I think it was either a TV movie or a 1960s or 1970s "B" film with mediocre actors in it.   It seems to me that not only the married couple but at least one other person who hasn't been to the old family home in years shows up, and in my hazy memory I think that person might be the family black sheep with murder on his mind.  I had thought that it might be The Shuttered Room, ca. 1967, which also had a young married couple coming back to an old family estate, but I recently watched it, and that's not it.  In The Shuttered Room there aren't a whole mess of family members all staying overnight in the house, only the married couple, with the dysfunctional family members residing elsewhere in the nearby community.  But The Shuttered Room gives an idea of the sort of cast -- second-string actors like Carol Lynley and Gig Young.  And both films have a line something like:  "I never should have brought you back here to your/my family."

My World Dies Screaming (1958)

young married couple - check

one "black sheep" character -- I think a fairly young blonde-haired guy - check

regarding the ownership of the estate - check

house had two stories - check

the bride and groom or engaged couple are separated, with the man perhaps giving the woman a gun and telling her not to leave her room - check

maybe the car has been sabotaged - check

Thanks to HelenBaby2 and MovieCollectorOH for further suggestions.  I have Two on a Guillotine but haven't watched it yet.  Will find out.  But "My World Dies Screaming" -- also known as "Terror in the Haunted House" -- sounds as if it might be the one.  I see that on ebay copies in DVD are very expensive, copies in VHS somewhat less so.  (In both cases using "Terror in the Haunted House" title).  If anyone has either a VHS or DVD copy and has any further information to share -- e.g., actual running time (often what's written on the case is wrong), quality of picture or sound, etc., I'd be glad to hear.  

Here it is for free on Youtube.  I probably should have posted it above.  Enough to match your points from your first post which I did above.