Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Missed opportunities in Hollywood

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 10.01.46 AM

Too bad Donald Crisp and Irving Bacon never developed an act. They could have called themselves Crisp Bacon.

Penny Marshall and Jude Law might have played a nightclub and billed themselves as Marshall Law.

A retrospective of films featuring Cynthia Nixon, Ronald Reagan and Mae Busch could be called Nixon/Reagan/Busch.

How about Miriam Hopkins, Anthony Hopkins and Bob Hoskins going into business as Hopkins, Hopkins & Hoskins? Though that does sound more like a legal firm.

Maybe William S. Hart and George Burns as Hart Burns. 

Oh I know. Someone could have sent Roseanne Barr on tour with Jack Lemmon as Lemmon Barr. And when J.L. needed time off John Candy could have filled in. I bet a show featuring Candy Barr would have been a lot of fun. Not sure how much the tickets would have cost. Maybe:

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 10.03.04 AM.png

• Haha 4

Well TB, all I can say after readin' THAT is...

triston_by_skyraptor.jpg

;)

(...okay, it wasn't too bad actually and was rather clever, but your post here reminded me of the time I ran into Jay Leno for the umpteenth time at some motorcycle meet in SoCal, and after I told him a joke that I flubbed up, his reply was "Uh-huh, comedy is a little harder than it looks, isn't it!")

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well TB, all I can say after readin' THAT is...

triston_by_skyraptor.jpg

;)

(...okay, it wasn't too bad actually and was rather clever, but your post here reminded me of the time I ran into Jay Leno for the umpteenth time at some motorcycle meet in SoCal, and after I told him a joke that I flubbed up, his reply was "Uh-huh, comedy is a little harder than it looks, isn't it!")

Thanks Dargo. Sometimes these threads are a way to mention names that don't otherwise get mentioned. If a film scholar comes to the site and does a search on William S. Hart, he/she might wonder why an influential star and philanthropist of early Hollywood is neglected in our discussions. So I have just added him into the mix.

I think unfunny is funny too. Everything's funny if you think about it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Dargo. Sometimes these threads are a way to mention names that don't otherwise get mentioned. If a film scholar comes to the site and does a search on William S. Hart, he/she might wonder why an influential star and philanthropist of early Hollywood is neglected in our discussions. So I have just added him into the mix.

Yes, this is very true, TB.

Yes, in fact I think more people should (Fredric) March right on down to their local library in order to become more familiar with those old influential movie stars of yore.

;)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yes, this is very true, TB.

Yes, in fact I think more people should (Fredric) March right on down to their local library in order to become more familiar with those old influential movie stars of yore.

;)

I also wanted to create a whimsical thread because there's too much seriousness re: the virus and racism. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I also wanted to create a whimsical thread because there's too much seriousness re: the virus and racism. 

Well then, maybe you could take a page out of MY playbook around here, and when someone starts a thread with topics such as those, (Mt.) Rush(more) to sidetrack it a bit by posting nonsensical replies into it?

(...hey, it always works for ME anyway, and as I'm sure you know!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Well then, maybe you could take a page out of MY playbook around here, and when someone starts a thread with topics such as those, (Mt.) Rush(more) to sidetrack it a bit by posting non-sensical replies into it?

(...hey, it always works for ME anyway, and as I'm sure you know!) ;)

LOL

Yes, I can't even remember the last thread you started.

Typically you show up on already created threads, like a vaudeville performer coming in to liven up the party.

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, I can't even remember the last thread you started.

Typically you show up on already created threads, like a vaudeville performer coming in to liven up the party.

WAIT!!! Are YOU sayin' here...

tenor.gif?itemid=10491629

;)

(..btw, yes, I think the last thread I started around here might have been that "Crushing on that newly discovered by you actor/actress who died a long time ago" thread, and that WAS quite a few weeks back, to be sure)

• Haha 2

So you blew your big chance with Leno? How sad!

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

So you blew your big chance with Leno? How sad!

LOL

Yeah, I know huh!  ;)

(...good thing though I still have THIS place to try out my "material", ain't it!)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, I know huh!  ;)

(...good thing though I still have THIS place to try out my "material", ain't it!)

Yes. LOL 

Lucky us! :) 

• Thanks 1

Missed an opportunity pairing  Edward Everett Horton and  Robert Armstrong after their role in "Little Big Shot". (1935)  They were the perfect duo in that film how they tricked, conned people.

The hotel scene with Edgar Kennedy doing the keys /  hat trick was a riot. :lol:

little-big-shot.png

• Like 1

oh, Warner Brothers missed an opportunity with Sybil Jason how they bungled the handling of making here a child star 7 ways to Sunday.

sjlbs27.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Missed an opportunity pairing  Edward Everett Horton and  Robert Armstrong after their role in "Little Big Shot". (1935)  They were the perfect duo in that film how they tricked, conned people.

The hotel scene with Edgar Kennedy doing the keys /  hat trick was a riot. :lol:

little-big-shot.png

Don't recall this one ham, but I'd say whenever they teamed EEH with anyone, it was always a lot of fun to watch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Too bad JOSEPH COTTEN and JOHN CANDY didn't develop an act... :rolleyes:  (groan)

As a kid I would love watching how it was made.

image.png.1642b4a4e25c207a9a3d87f0c1984b9a.png

• Like 1

Think part of the problem with John Candy  he WAS paired with cotton candy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Think part of the problem with John Candy  he WAS paired with cotton candy. 

Are you talking about a specific film?

I think his best work is in PLANES TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES and ONLY THE LONELY.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I love me some JOHN CANDY and you are spot on!  I dig it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Are you talking about a specific film?

wow that one went over your head! :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hamradio said:

wow that one went over your head! :lol:

Well I was afraid you were making a comment about his weight and that he liked eating too much sweet stuff.

So I was trying to give you a chance to say you were referring to a costar in one of his films. :) 

47 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Well I was afraid you were making a comment about his weight and that he liked eating too much sweet stuff.

So I was trying to give you a chance to say you were referring to a costar in one of his films. :) 

"Stripes" (1981)

Dewey Oxburger.....My name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. You might have noticed that, uh, I've got a slight weight problem.

hqdefault.jpg

Hollywood should had paired him up with John Goodman or Chris Farley. 

Boom baba boom. :lol:

snl_0813_04_motivational_speaker.png

(or Lard*** Hogan)

lindberg+la8.jpg

:P