Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Democrats want John Wayne's name, statue taken off airport

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — In the latest move to change place names in light of U.S. racial history, leaders of Orange County’s Democratic Party are pushing to drop film legend John Wayne’s name, statue and other likenesses from the county’s airport because of his racist and bigoted comments.

The Los Angeles Times reported that earlier this week, officials passed an emergency resolution condemning Wayne’s “racist and bigoted statements” made in a 1971 interview and are calling on the Orange County Board of Supervisors to drop his name, statue and other likenesses from the international airport.

5ef8c23270e0e.image.jpg?resize=750,533

The resolution asked the board “to restore its original name: Orange County Airport.”

In a 1971 Playboy magazine interview, Wayne makes bigoted statements against Black people, Native Americans and the LGBTQ community.

He said, “I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

Wayne also said that although he didn’t condone slavery, “I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves.”

The actor said he felt no remorse in the subjugation of Native Americans.

“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. … (O)ur so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival,” he said. “There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

Wayne also called movies such as “Easy Rider” and “Midnight Cowboy” perverted, and used a gay slur to refer to the two main characters of the latter film.

Orange County Supervisor Don Wagner told the Times that he had just heard about the Democratic resolution and was unaware of its wording or merit.

:o

I live in the O.C.  and this gets mentioned every time there is a national race-issue.    Pols will talk about it,,,,  a very small group of activist will complain,,,and then it will be forgotten.

Of course maybe this time will be different,  but I doubt it. 

PS:  I always wanted the airport to be named after a great actor,  Claire Trevor;  She did much better work then Wayne and contributed a lot more to Orange County CA than he did.      

Claire Trevor - Autographed Signed Photograph | HistoryForSale ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Why name it after any actor?  Maybe Mickey Mouse would be more appropriate?  Isn't Disneyland in Orange County?  Maybe just The OC Airport?

This is the whole problem of naming things after people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I never thought John Wayne was all that good.  He made some good movies and he was a decent actor - with the right screen play and director.  

5 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Re; Democrats want John Wayne's name, statue taken off airport

ColorlessQuestionableDaddylonglegs-size_

Are the conservatives that pushed to have the airport named after Wayne also cuckoo?    

I guess the shocked emoji on the original OP indicates this is the first you've heard of this, but this topic has come before multiple times on these message boards. My recollection is every time it's brought up, it was by someone who was opposed to the idea. 

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I live in the O.C.  and this gets mentioned every time there is a national race-issue.    Pols will talk about it,,,,  a very small group of activist will complain,,,and then it will be forgotten.

Of course maybe this time will be different,  but I doubt it. 

John Wayne's name clearly suggests a legacy of racial intolerance and historical shame--

Let's return the airport's name to the more understanding historical name of its California city:  Santa Ana.

260px-Santaanna1.JPG

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are the conservatives that pushed to have the airport named after Wayne also cuckoo?    

They're the same ones who wanted Reagan's face on the $20 (and push Alexander Hamilton off the $10, he wasn't president!), because every great recently-deceased uber-conservative Republican who became famous in the mainstream must be canonized in time for the funeral.

They've approved a clause in Arnold Schwarzenegger's will to rename Austria after his death, and insisted that all shotguns over a certain caliber are now to be referred to as "Hestons".

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, GGGGerald said:

I say just change it to Jimmy Stewart Airport, someone who actually flew planes in service to this country.

AND played Charles Lindbergh in the movies.  Perfect.  👍

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

How about changing it to He Walks Like A Little Girl Airport.

Not a bad name.      I also like:  He only served his country,,,  on film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

How about a compromise - "The John Wayne Was A Racist Airport."

Well I said it once before and I'll say it again--

It's not everyday that a self-confessed racist gets an airport named after him. LMREO

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well I said it once before and I'll say it again--

It's not everyday that a self-confessed racist gets an airport named after him. LMREO

This way I figure John Wayne fans, racists and anti-racists can all celebrate the airport's new name.

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes what is Wayne's connection to the OC?

What about the Native Americans from whom the land was stole in the first place?  Still say, don't name it after anybody.

44 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Yes what is Wayne's connection to the OC?

Wayne had a large home on Balboa Island in Newport Beach,   but he didn't stay there that often.     Thus he really didn't have much of a connection to the O.C.

This is why I was only partly joking about Claire Trevor;    She donated money and her time to promote the arts in the O.C.  and was highly involved with the political leadership to make that happen.    Thus Trevor had a much more solid connection to the O.C. than Wayne and she was the better actor.

(but yea,,    to your point,,,,  naming an airport after an actor \ celebrity is lame to begin with).

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

(but yea,,    to your point,,,,  naming an airport after an actor \ celebrity is lame to begin with).

Yeah, makes it sound like they were part owners in it, like Roy Rogers Restaurant, the Beverly Garland Hotel, or the Lawrence Welk trailer campground.

(And TBH, how much time did Ronald Reagan spend in Washington, before they renamed the second DC airport after him?...In absence of the $20 bill.)

On 6/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, Vautrin said:

How about changing it to He Walks Like A Little Girl Airport.

hey, the man suffered football injuries in college.:P