Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Det Jim McLeod

Two Male Stars Paired Together In Films

This is for two actors who were paired together in more than one film but each were successful on their own as well. So this is not for regular comedy teams like Laurel & Hardy or Abbott & Costello. I thought of a few examples with my favorite of their  films together,  You can comment on the ones I have or list more of your own.

Burt Lancaster & Kirk Douglas- Burt was the usually the more strait laced stolid one and Kirk his more roguish partner, but not every time. Favorite-Gunfight At The OK Corral (1957)

Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi- They were usually enemies pitted against each other, Karloff usually the dominant role and Lugosi sometimes a supporting heavy. My favorite is Son Of Frankenstein  (1939) the only time they were on the same side, both evil. Boris played the Monster for the last time and Bela was the wily Ygor, who uses the Monster for his revenge schemes.

Bing Crosby & Bob Hope-Bing was the laid back crooner who was often a con man who uses his wisecracking, slightly dim friend Bob as the patsy. Favorite-Road To Morocco (1942)

Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau-they  were friends or frienemies in their films together, Lemmon was the average guy drawn into a scheme by his more shady friend Matthau. My favorite was The Odd Couple (1968) with Jack as neurotic neat freak  and Walter as the grumpy slob.

Paul Newman & Robert Redford-two fun loving guys who operate on the other side of the law. Newman was the older more experienced one and Redford the younger more impulsive one. Favorite is The Sting (1973)

• Like 4

Although only for one movie(that I know of) and both at near the height of their popularity, both JERRY LEWIS and TONY CURTIS were thrown together in BOEING, BOEING( '66).

As were Curtis and Lemmon in SOME LIKE IT HOT. ('59)

If your intent is about those who made more than just one flick together, I'll have to get back to ya.

Sepiatone 

I always loved the teaming of James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart in all their films together, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, THE OKLAHOMA KID and especially THE ROARING TWENTIES.

They were always enemies in all of their movies together and (SPOILER ALERT) Cagney's characters always ended up killing Bogart, exception being THE OKLAHOMA KID.

Actually in THE ROARING TWENTIES, they were somewhat allies for a brief period, until it came to a bitter end.

Doesn't change the fact that I loved Cagney and Bogart together.

Also loved Bogey's teaming with Edward G. Robinson. In all their films together (again SPOILERS) Bogart and Robinson usually ended up killing each other, exception being KEY LARGO where Bogart's Frank McCloud got the best of Robinson's Johnny Rocco and guns him down. The only film where a Bogey character shot and killed a character of Robinson's and was allowed to live in the end.

And I like to give a big shout-out to the teaming of Errol Flynn and Alan Hale as well. Hale was Flynn's co-star in many a film, my favorite being Hale's Little John opposite Flynn's Robin Hood in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

ames Cagney and Pat O'Brien made 9 films together:

!!!

Was somebody making a cameo here? What movie was it that Cagney and O'Brien were hanging out with Spencer Tracy sitting one row behind them?

9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

As were Curtis and Lemmon in SOME LIKE IT HOT. ('59)

If your intent is about those who made more than just one flick together, I'll have to get back to ya.

Curtis & Lemmon were also in The Great Race (1965) together so that's a good example

• Thanks 1

I forgot about that.  But probably because I found that movie forgettable!  ;) 

Sepiatone

I suppose Burton and O'Toole only ever really did Beckett together, but Burton dropped in for a cameo in What's New (last word I probably can't type).

17 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I always loved the teaming of James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart in all their films together, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, THE OKLAHOMA KID and especially THE ROARING TWENTIES.

That's a GREAT example, Bogart was  two faced  and turned into a sniveling coward when faced with the barrel of Cagney's gun.

16 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I suppose Burton and O'Toole only ever really did Beckett together, but Burton dropped in for a cameo in What's New (last word I probably can't type).

They were in Under Milk Wood (1972) together though I never saw that one. Becket is great though.

• Thanks 1

These guys did four films together: "Silver Streak" (1976), "Stir Crazy" (1980), "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" (1989) and "Another You" (1991). It might have been six if they had co-starred in "Blazing Saddles" (1974) and "Trading Places" (1983).

Feeling Cool Gene Wilder GIF by Laff

• Like 3

Two other pairings that I can think of that would fit the OP's criteria would be Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre, who appeared in 9 films together, as well as Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson, who made 11 films together.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

These guys did four films together: "Silver Streak" (1976), "Stir Crazy" (1980), "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" (1989) and "Another You" (1991). It might have been six if they had co-starred in "Blazing Saddles" (1974) and "Trading Places" (1983).

Have you got the right case?!

hqdefault.jpg

:lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

They were originally going to co-star in 1982's Hanky Panky, but Pryor left the production, and the role was turned into a female part which went to Gilda Radner. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

They were originally going to co-star in 1982's Hanky Panky, but Pryor left the production, and the role was turned into a female part which went to Gilda Radner. 

I had forgotten all about "Hanky Panky." Wilder and Radner met and fell in love while filming the picture. They were married from 1984 until her death from ovarian cancer in 1989.

See the source image

Clark Gable and Leslie Howard were in both A Free Soul and Gone With the Wind.  Two stars and two movies which need no introduction.

Charles Laughton, Ray Milland (in a small role) and Maureen O'Sullivan (technically not a male star) were all in Payment Deferred in 1932, and The Big Clock 16 years later.

8 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino (Never acted together in Godfather II).  Just acted together in The Irishman.  Also, a Michael Mann film.

Don't forget Heat (1995) heat-1995-c2a9-warner-_-dr-08.jpg

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

!!!

Was somebody making a cameo here? What movie was it that Cagney and O'Brien were hanging out with Spencer Tracy sitting one row behind them?

I assume the photo was taken at an actual sporting event.    I.e. it isn't from a movie or related to the making of a movie.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

...Bing Crosby & Bob Hope-Bing was the laid back crooner who was often a con man who uses his wisecracking, slightly dim friend Bob as the patsy. Favorite-Road To Morocco (1942)

And then there was the series of buddy pictures that Warner Brothers would make in response to these from Paramount...

OIP.tOQaVZyc8nBtTYGbqAg3PgHaF1?pid=Api&r

58 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Don't forget Heat (1995

He did say "Also, a Michael Mann film".

Crosby and Astaire did two films together, Holiday Inn and Blue Skies.

Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan did Pride of the Yankees, Meet John Doe and Sergeant York.

Burt Lancaster and Nick Cravat (who sometime played his sidekick who had smaller parts in some of the films) - They include, The Flame and the Arrow, The Crimson Pirate, Run Silent, Run Deep, and the Scalphunters.

Rock Hudson and Tony Randall - Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, and Send Me Now Flowers.

Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra - Oceans 11, Robin and the 7 Hoods, and Some Came Running.

Please, who can forget John Wayne and Ward Bond together - Fort Apache, The Searchers, The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, The 3 Godfathers, The Wings of Eagles, Hondo, They Were Expendable, The Long Voyage Home, Operation Pacific, Shepherd of the Hills,  and A Man Betrayed.

Howard Keel and Keenan Wynn in Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me Kate and Neptune's Daughter.

Henry Fonda and John Carradine - The Grapes of Wrath, Drums Along the Mohawk, Jesse James, 

Tyrone Power and Don Ameche - Alexander's Ragtime Band and In Old Chicago. 

How is that for Two Men Together?

15 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

...Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan did Pride of the Yankees, Meet John Doe and Sergeant York.

Don't forget one of (I think) the best westerns ever made in which these two starred together and in which they become "frenemies", Oneeyeopen...

the-westerner.jpg

The Westerner

(...and my favorite pairing of the two)

• Like 1