Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Det Jim McLeod

Two Male Stars Paired Together In Films

19 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

Yes, I know the one. The Westerner.

Great movie, wouldn't ya say?

(...btw...welcome to the boards)

My two favorite guys together in Classic Hollywood have always been Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy--

San Francisco

Test Pilot

Boom Town

In these movies Clark Gable always played the jerk who got the girl that Spencer Tracy really deserved and could have treated right.

In "San Francisco" they had Spence play a priest, so he didn't have to look so bad at losing the girl.

But he still was **** off that Gable didn't treat her right.

In "Test Pilot" they had to kill Spence off because he could do a death scene better than Clark Gable. LOL

And in "Boom Town", he has to beat up Clark Gable and threaten Hedy Lamarr because their affair is upsetting Gable's wife, Claudette Colbert, who was also the love of Spence's life.

But in real life, both men reportedly loved Loretta Young.

But I don't know how they worked that one out?????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

My two favorite guys together in Classic Hollywood have always been Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy--

San Francisco

Test Pilot

Boom Town

In these movies Clark Gable always played the jerk who got the girl that Spencer Tracy really deserved and could have treated right.

In "San Francisco" they had Spence play a priest, so he didn't have to look so bad at losing the girl.

But he still was **** off that Gable didn't treat her right.

In "Test Pilot" they had to kill Spence off because he could do a death scene better than Clark Gable. LOL

And in "Boom Town", he has to beat up Clark Gable and threaten Hedy Lamarr because their affair is upsetting Gable's wife, Claudette Colbert, who was also the love of Spence's life.

But in real life, both men reportedly loved Loretta Young.

But I don't know how they worked that one out?????

So, was it Gable's fault that you ladies always go for the bad boy type???  

LOL

;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fedya said:

Clark Gable and Leslie Howard were in both A Free Soul and Gone With the Wind.  Two stars and two movies which need no introduction.

Ah, but one of the films now has an introduction, courtesy of HBO Max and film scholar Jacqueline Stewart of TCM.

ZV6BWam9?format=jpg&name=small

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

Ah, but one of the films now has an introduction, courtesy of HBO Max and film scholar Jacqueline Stewart of TCM.

Saaay, maybe they should ALSO have someone in an intro explain the consequences of falling for those bad boy types every time they show A Free Soul now days TOO?!!!

(...AND considering some might not get what THAT movie is actually about EITHER!)

LOL

• Haha 1

Buster Keaton and Jimmy Durante made three films together-

SPEAK EASILY -1932, THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER- 1932, WHAT! NO BEER?- 1933.

6b9da19f210a1a02db118bfbe97cc7ec.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 12:53 AM, Princess of Tap said:

San Francisco

I have always admired both actors and had seen many of their solo films but I never saw one they made together, so I watched San Francisco On Demand today.

I thought it was great entertainment, I give it 8/10. Gable is the charming scoundrel and Tracy is the pious priest, both are excellent. Gable hires goody goody  Jeanette MacDonald as a singer in his wild tavern, they fall in love though Tracy does not approve. even though both guys grew up together and have respect for one another. They don't have many scenes together but when they do there are fireworks, both at the top of their game.

• Like 1

I'm surprised I overlooked this team of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, they made so many films together. Cushing usually the force of good and Lee the evil. My favorite is Horror Of Dracula (1958). Lee as the evil Dracula and Cushing the stake pounding Van Helsing.

All The Films Where Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter ...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I'm surprised I overlooked this team of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, they made so many films together. Cushing usually the force of good and Lee the evil. My favorite is Horror Of Dracula (1958). Lee as the evil Dracula and Cushing the stake pounding Van Helsing.

All The Films Where Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter ...

I can't believe I overlooked this pairing either, as I have several of their films they did together on DVD.

My favorite of their on-screen teamings is HORROR OF DRACULA as well. They were such good friends in real life too.

• Like 1

Anyone also mention SIDNEY POITIER and his three picture collaboration with BILL COSBY?

UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT('74)

LET'S DO IT AGAIN('75)

A PIECE OF THE ACTION('77)

Which Poitier also directed.

Sepiatone

• Like 3

How about Alan Ladd and William Bendix;    They made the following Paramount films together from 1942 - 1947:

The Glass Key

China

The Blue Dahlia

Two Years Before the Mast

Calcutta

220px-The-Glass-Key-1942-Poster.jpg

• Like 1

Another pair,  that were also very close friends,  is Bogart and Peter Lorre, who made 5 films together,  two directed by another close friend,  John Huston (oddly the first and last ones): 

The Maltese Falcon

All Through the Night

Casablanca

Passage to Marsellie

Beat the Devil

AND of course there is Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet who made 7 films together.     

The Maltese Falcon

Casablanca

Passage to Marsellie

The Mask of Dimitrios

The Conspirators

Three Strangers 

The Verdit

THEN,   Greenstreet and Bogie also made 5 films together,    3 films that had all 3 of these actors,   along with Across the Pacific and Conflict.     (what was Peter on vacation when these two were made,,,,  he could have played Mr. Moto in Across the Pacific,,,,  Ok non-PC casting but back in those days,,,,,).

Humphrey Bogart with Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet The ...

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Anyone also mention SIDNEY POITIER and his three picture collaboration with BILL COSBY?

UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT('74)

LET'S DO IT AGAIN('75)

A PIECE OF THE ACTION('77)

Which Poitier also directed.

Sepiatone

I saw all three of these. The first two were very funny, the third was pretty good too, but got a little preachy.

On 7/2/2020 at 5:22 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Maltese Falcon

Bogart and Lorre have their best scenes together in this one.

• Like 1

When Cary Grant and Ralph Bellamy appeared in the same film, Grant always got the girl.

hqdefault.jpg

The Awful Truth (1937)

8a0f9dbaf14b6c4db93cb3caaec2d59e.jpg

His Girl Friday (1940)

In fact Swithin, I've just thought of another actor who in two different films doesn't get the girl after she picks Cary Grant over him.

Randolph Scott, in both the 1932 pre-code Hot Saturday, and in 1940's My Favorite Wife.

(..."Favorite" spelled of course withOUT that...well, YOU know)  ;)

• Haha 1