Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skipd55

MGM Silver Anniversary Picture intro omitted

I watched ADAM'S RIB yesterday and was a little disappointed to see the MGM Silver Anniversary Picture intro cut out. This isn't the first time this has happened with this movie. It may be a minor point, but if TCM prides itself on showing movies uncut, then I don't see why this fifteen-second fanfare (which the studio obviously considered important) should be omitted. Those Silver Anniversary releases were something of a prestige issue for MGM, and viewers deserve to know it.

• Thanks 1

My guess would be that at some point the movie was reissued to theaters and since it was no longer the anniversary year that message was removed so as to not make it look like "an old movie".  Things like that were pretty common with reissues.  If that's the case with ADAM'S RIB than it's likely the digital transfer TCM ran was made from a reissue print and not one from the original release. That's not something TCM has control over.

• Thanks 1

Not to belabor a trivial matter, but... I have watched ADAM'S RIB on TCM with the Silver Anniversary intro and without it. The same goes for other 1949 MGM releases (ON THE TOWN comes readily  to mind). It seems somewhat erratic. And, as part of the Turner library, ADAM'S RIB belongs to TCM, doesn't it?  Or has that changed? If Turner (or Warner Media) still owns the film, what wouldn't they have control over as far as the digital transfer is concerned?  Just asking.  

That's certainly what I thought, but I'm afraid to comment on the concept of a TCM "library" anymore, as this seemed to anger a poster on a recent thread.

From what I understand, even though Warner Bros. (or whatever they call it nowadays)  is part of the same parent company as TCM, they're treated   as separate entities.  Warner distributes what use to be the TCM Library and is responsible for providing digital transfers.  For legal reasons, Warner has to treat TCM the same as any other channel  that license movies from them.  TCM doesn't have unlimited access to those movies and must negotiate and pay to show them.  It would be up to the distributor to provide the movie in whatever medium  TCM requires.

That said, and judging from TCM occasionally running an edited version of something or in the wrong format, I've come to the conclusion the TCM doesn't have anyone take a look at what they've received before it actually runs.

• Thanks 1

I guess the only thing I wonder is TCM still seems to show a very heavy MGM/Warner Bros./RKO output, just like they always have (and whatever UA films ended up under MGM's control). Even if they do have to pay to lease these films (and one poster says Casablanca is now a very expensive rental), do they get any kind of discount to show the same films they always have most often?

you can still easily locate the full show i think on youtube