Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Carl Reiner has died

Per: https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/carl-reiner-dead-died-dick-van-dyke-1234694208/?fbclid=IwAR2ICceK6rQa-Ddo5tjRLo7xh94wRpU081HWPZRid5C56KS_BI_ajSBE_kM

Carl Reiner, the writer, producer, director and actor who was part of Sid Caesar’s legendary team and went on to create “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and direct several hit films, has died. He was 98.

He died of natural causes on Monday night at his home in Beverly Hills, his assistant Judy Nagy confirmed to Variety.

Reiner, the father of filmmaker and activist Rob Reiner, was the winner of nine Emmy awards, including five for “The Dick Van Dyke Show.” His most popular films as a director included “Oh God,” starring George Burns, in 1977; “The Jerk,” with Steve Martin, in 1979; and “All of Me,” with Martin and Lily Tomlin, in 1984.

Reiner remained in the public eye well into his 80s and 90s with roles in the popular “Ocean’s Eleven” trio of films and on TV with recurring roles on sitcoms “Two and a Half Men” and “Hot in Cleveland.” He also did voice work for shows including “Family Guy,” “American Dad,” “King of the Hill,” and “Bob’s Burgers.”

He first came to prominence as a regular cast member of Sid Caesar’s “Your Show of Shows,” for which he won two Emmys in 1956 and 1957 in the supporting category. He met Mel Brooks during his time with Caesar. The two went on to have a long-running friendship and comedy partnership through the recurring “2000 Year Old Man” sketches.

• Thanks 8
  • Sad 3

Long life. Long productive life.

Rest in peace.

• Like 2

16466526_6.jpg?v=8D035E6BDC38EA0

R.I.P. 'Whittaker Walt'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somehow I always thought he'd live to be 2,000 years old, too.

Image result for mel brooks get smart

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The Russian Are Coming is a great favorite. RIP, Carl.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Oh no!  Good night CARL.  We all loved you! 

Yea,  Carl was great!      My wife and I have been watching the Dick Van Dyke show and I had pointed out to her that it was rather odd the two male actors were still alive,  especially Carl who had to be the oldest cast member in the show.

Funny man that left a legacy of fine work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not Alan Brady! This is so sad. But at least there are plenty of Dick Van Dyke episodes to remember him by.

And The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! is another great example.

I could go on!

• Like 3

A great and creative television pioneer who made TV comedy what it still remains today.  Didn't do too bad as a director too. 

I loved how by just showing up he managed, and without trying, to steal all those scenes from the other cast members of those "Ocean's" movies("Ocean's Eleven('01) Twelve('04)  and THIRTEEN('07). )

Rest in a well deserved Peace, Carl.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Reiner was one of the many stars of Stanley Kramer's 1963 madcap comedy "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."

See the source image

His death means that the actress Barrie Chase -- one of Fred Astaire's favorite dance partners -- is now the last surviving member of the primary cast. She is pictured below with Dick Shawn during a dance scene.

See the source image

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RIP Carl. You led a very active and productive life and provided many wonderful works of entertainment.

• Like 1

What a genius.  What a talent.  We are fortunate to have had this Renaissance Man (actor/writer/producer/director) in our midst.  Watching "The Dick Van Dyke Show"  as a child inspired me to go into television writing and production.  He will be missed.

• Like 4

Does TCM just have those "Remembers" segments ready to go for everyone over a certain age the way they say the network news shows used to do with their tributes? That seemed really fast.

I think that one of the funniest episodes on The Dick Van Dyke Show was "Coast to Coast Big Mouth" when Laura blurts out on television that Alan Brady is bald. Carl Reiner and Mary Tyler Moore are both hilarious in this sequence. The magic that special comedy talents could do when blessed with great writing like this.

• Like 9

He also wrote my favorite episode -- "What's in a Middle Name? -- when Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) explained to his son Ritchie (Larry Mathews) why his middle name was Rosebud.

Pin on TV Show: The Dick Van Dyke show...>>>

• Like 3

He was smart enough to retool his original pilot, Head of the Family, and step aside from the starring role:  

RIP...and thanks for the laughter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shutoo said:

He was smart enough to retool his original pilot, Head of the Family, and step aside from the starring role:  

RIP...and thanks for the laughter

I just can't imagine Barbara Britton in capri pants.

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I think that one of the funniest episodes on The Dick Van Dyke Show was "Coast to Coast Big Mouth" when Laura blurts out on television that Alan Brady is bald. Carl Reiner and Mary Tyler Moore are both hilarious in this sequence. The magic that special comedy talents could do when blessed with great writing like this.

Up to that episode, we were never even supposed to SEE Alan Brady--He always had his back to the camera, sitting in his Big Office chair, except for the special "Christmas With Alan Brady" episode, where he was disguised in a Santa suit.

Reiner as a director was...hit or very miss, but he hit with John Denver and George Burns in Oh, God! (1977), and the Steve Martin's Early Movie Career Trilogy:

dead-men-dont-wear-plaid-9.jpg

Reiner:  "Schweinhundt!"
Martin:  "Jerk!"
Reiner:  ".... 😡 !!"

- Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

I just can't imagine Barbara Britton in capri pants.

See the source image

As Miss Britton didn't have such a bad bod herself, I could.

(...BUT, she'd never be as funny as Mary here was saying "OOOH Rooooob!")

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm wondering how Mel is taking this news.

And yep Tom, Carl was especially hilarious in that DVDS "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" episode. 

(...R.I.P., funny man, and thanks for all the many laughs you gave us...the world can never have enough of 'em, as you knew)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I'm wondering how Mel is taking this news.

And yep Tom, Carl was especially hilarious in that DVDS "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" episode. 

(...R.I.P., Carl)

I feel badly for both Mel Brooks and Dick Van Dyke with this sad news about the death of their dear friend after all these years of shared laughter together.

• Like 3

True, but I've heard there wasn't a day in which Carl and Mel didn't get together at one of their homes.

(...well, until this whole Covid thing came about anyway)

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

True, but I've heard there wasn't a day in which Carl and Mel didn't get together at one of their homes.

(...well, until this whole Covid thing came about anyway)

gettyimages-684324662.jpg?quality=80&str

That's Norman Lear sharing the moment with three of the world's great comedy performers. This photo was taken in May, 2017.

• Like 6

I also enjoyed his script for The Thrill of It All, especially the scene with Doris Day's first TV commercial, where she gets distracted by Reiner himself playing a character who uses the words : " You Pig!" and thus introduces the commercial by saying "Hello, my name is Beverly Boyer, and I'm a pig."

• Like 2