Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Carl Reiner has died

I'm glad that some of Your Show of Shows exists (My Favorite Year is supposed to recount Mel Brooks' experience when he had to keep an eye on Errol Flynn).  My favorite Dick Van Dyke episode was what I called Unni Ups (the one with the flying saucer that Rob sees).  Evidently, Rose Marie was upset that Mary Tyler Moore was the lead female role - she didn't understand that this was a story about Carl Reiner and his family/home life.  Oh Rob!!!

Recently rewatched All of Me.  Very cute.  Hope TCM shows some of his movies (either as director or an actor).

2 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I'm glad that some of Your Show of Shows exists (My Favorite Year is supposed to recount Mel Brooks' experience when he had to keep an eye on Errol Flynn).  My favorite Dick Van Dyke episode was what I called Unni Ups (the one with the flying saucer that Rob sees).  Evidently, Rose Marie was upset that Mary Tyler Moore was the lead female role - she didn't understand that this was a story about Carl Reiner and his family/home life.  Oh Rob!!!

Recently rewatched All of Me.  Very cute.  Hope TCM shows some of his movies (either as director or an actor).

I'm sure they will.  They posted a tribute to their Twitter account a few hours ago already.  Haven't had TCM on today to know whether they've aired it yet or not.

The first time I ever saw Carl Reiner was on Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows."

Carl Reiner, along with, Mel Brooks  Neil Simon and the wonderful Selma Diamond created television sketch / improvisational comedy shows.

Imogene Coca was very brave to be the only woman on the show because she was the one who usually did get a lot of pie and water in the face. Her ability as a physical comedian and her contribution to Classic television comedy hasn't been mentioned enough.

If you watch those shows today, you will be amazed at how modern they seem-- SNL is a direct copy of that genre.

My favorite show was their take off on "From Here to Eternity".

May God Bless Rob Reiner and his entire family.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I'm glad that some of Your Show of Shows exists (My Favorite Year is supposed to recount Mel Brooks' experience when he had to keep an eye on Errol Flynn). 

(Now, see, I always thought it was young Neil Simon...)

My favorite Dick Van Dyke episode was what I called Unni Ups (the one with the flying saucer that Rob sees). 

(Rob & Buddy think the inventors of the flying saucer are enemy spies: )

Inventor:  "This new invention will make us the rulers of the toy world!"

Buddy:  "...You guys are toys??"

• Like 1

Everyone should read the tributes by his friends that are pouring in for Carl Reiner. He was so loved and so admired by so many. Very touching.

• Like 2

I have a Carl Reiner story that I hold very dear to me.
I figured I'd share it today, on the day of his passing, because I hope it will bring some other people some joy the way it does me......

......So even your heroes get it wrong sometimes. But I love that my dad made the joke funnier. Thanks Carl for inspiring my dad to be a writer. And thanks for being so kind, generous and warm. He tried to follow in your footsteps in all of those things and I'm trying to follow in his.

-long thread, but really touching, funny story
:)
  • Like 1

I love Carl! RUSSIANS... is one of my favorites of all time, as well as DICK VAN DYKE, which I've been binge watching lately. Also enjoyed his frequent appearances on CAROL BURNETT. I only recently saw sketches from YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS for the first time  and didn't realize he was an actor as well as a writer on that brilliant show. I wish ENTER LAUGHING was available to stream or buy, as it is a semi-autobiographical film that is also hilarious. I hope TCM shows it for his inevitable tribute. Thanks for the laughs, Carl!

91RhbZYOiSL._AC_SX679_.jpg

MV5BNTcxZTJkOGItZDIzNi00OGMzLWIwODMtODU2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think some of my favorite episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show are It May Look Like A Walnut.  The one where Rob and Laura first meet and perform You Wonderful You on stage.  The one where Rob invites Buddy to stay at their house.  Talk To The Snail.  The one where Laura tries to die her hair blonde.  The one where Rob and Laura get stuck in the bathroom at the hotel and wasn’t there one where Rob and Laura decide to elope?  I love them all.  Great classic TV show.  One of my all time favorites.

• Like 2

The Man With Two Brains and All of Me are the keepers for me.  The former certainly has the funniest punchline involving Merv Griffin.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Per: https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/carl-reiner-dead-died-dick-van-dyke-1234694208/?fbclid=IwAR2ICceK6rQa-Ddo5tjRLo7xh94wRpU081HWPZRid5C56KS_BI_ajSBE_kM

Carl Reiner, the writer, producer, director and actor who was part of Sid Caesar’s legendary team and went on to create “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and direct several hit films, has died. He was 98.

He died of natural causes on Monday night at his home in Beverly Hills, his assistant Judy Nagy confirmed to Variety.

Reiner, the father of filmmaker and activist Rob Reiner, was the winner of nine Emmy awards, including five for “The Dick Van Dyke Show.” His most popular films as a director included “Oh God,” starring George Burns, in 1977; “The Jerk,” with Steve Martin, in 1979; and “All of Me,” with Martin and Lily Tomlin, in 1984.

Reiner remained in the public eye well into his 80s and 90s with roles in the popular “Ocean’s Eleven” trio of films and on TV with recurring roles on sitcoms “Two and a Half Men” and “Hot in Cleveland.” He also did voice work for shows including “Family Guy,” “American Dad,” “King of the Hill,” and “Bob’s Burgers.”

He first came to prominence as a regular cast member of Sid Caesar’s “Your Show of Shows,” for which he won two Emmys in 1956 and 1957 in the supporting category. He met Mel Brooks during his time with Caesar. The two went on to have a long-running friendship and comedy partnership through the recurring “2000 Year Old Man” sketches.

looong life

3 hours ago, skimpole said:

The Man With Two Brains and All of Me are the keepers for me.  The former certainly has the funniest punchline involving Merv Griffin.

and don't forget the jerk and dead men don't wear plaid, of which tcm should air more often

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jakeem said:

Reiner was a concerned citizen until the end...

Carl Reiner, his daughter Annie, and Mel Brooks 2 days ago for Mel's birthday.

5:17 PM · Jun 30, 2020·Twitter Web App

and mel is already 94 himself

net you he chose westwood, cem   since i was there in 1999  lots celebs have also chosen the tiny 3 & 1/2 acre park

EbyiVyzXYAYOYND?format=jpg&name=small

Wow, his daughter is the spitting image of her dear Mother Estelle.

I tuned in to TCM last night to see the REMEMBERS spot & I knew he had just passed. They must have had that in the waiting (probably one ready for others too)

Am I the only gal who found Carl a super handsome guy? Being handsome made him funnier, just like Lucy being pretty made her funnier, maybe unexpected.

I loved Carl's body of work, especially OH GOD which I often use to introduce younger people to the joys of classic film. It has that extra level of personal philosophy to the humor. I also very much enjoy his Steve Martin period, especially DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID and ALL OF ME (glad to see others like All Of Me too)

I just recently borrowed from the library IF YOU'RE NOT IN THE OBIT, EAT BREAKFAST *(2017) an HBO special on being 90+. It was WONDERFUL!

if-not-obit-eat-breakfast-poster.jpg

*after a famous George Burns joke.

That guy was so talented-writer, actor, director for TV, theater, movies for decades. 

Thank you-thank you-thank you for making the world a better place-rest in peace, Carl.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, skimpole said:

I just love ALL OF ME. Truly hilarious film.

Steve Martin was just brilliant in that. His channeling Lily Tomlin's character is too funny.

• Like 3

Recently rewatched All of Me.  Very cute.  Hope TCM shows some of his movies (either as director or an actor).  This didn't post yesterday.  I hope they run The Russians are Coming (with Alan Arkin).  I read the memoir he wrote after his wife died.  I recommend it.  In the flying saucer episode, I believe it was supposed to say "Merry Christmas."  I also love the Christmas episode of Dick Van Dyke.  Carl Reiner was one of those rare individuals who knows when to end a tv series.

By the way, knowing what it is like to be all alone in a house, there is a great episode where Laura is left alone while Rob and Jerry go fishing.  

Carl Reiner seems like one those celebrities who are so genuine that you think you would like to just sit down and have a conversation with them.

11 hours ago, David Guercio said:

I think some of my favorite episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show are It May Look Like A Walnut.  The one where Rob and Laura first meet and perform You Wonderful You on stage.  The one where Rob invites Buddy to stay at their house.  Talk To The Snail.  The one where Laura tries to die her hair blonde.  The one where Rob and Laura get stuck in the bathroom at the hotel and wasn’t there one where Rob and Laura decide to elope?  I love them all.  Great classic TV show.  One of my all time favorites.

I believe you're thinking of the episode where Laura gets her big toe stuck int the hotel's bathtub faucet.  Love that one too.  And since you also mentioned it, I never cared too much for walnuts until seeing this---  ;) 

14 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

I love Carl! RUSSIANS... is one of my favorites of all time, as well as DICK VAN DYKE, which I've been binge watching lately. Also enjoyed his frequent appearances on CAROL BURNETT. I only recently saw sketches from YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS for the first time  and didn't realize he was an actor as well as a writer on that brilliant show. I wish ENTER LAUGHING was available to stream or buy, as it is a semi-autobiographical film that is also hilarious. I hope TCM shows it for his inevitable tribute. Thanks for the laughs, Carl!

MV5BNTcxZTJkOGItZDIzNi00OGMzLWIwODMtODU2

Hilarious is right!  And since I read the book first, it's another of those rare "as good as the book" movies.  Excellent writing and superb directing.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TomJH said:

I think that one of the funniest episodes on The Dick Van Dyke Show was "Coast to Coast Big Mouth" when Laura blurts out on television that Alan Brady is bald. Carl Reiner and Mary Tyler Moore are both hilarious in this sequence. The magic that special comedy talents could do when blessed with great writing like this.

Yes, "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" is probably my favorite episode of one of my favorite TV shows -- and Carl Reiner is a big reason for both.  I've always admired anyone who can be funny -- like someone who can draw or write a beautiful tune, they have a talent that can enhance others' lives.  And Carl certainly had a talent for "funny."

Besides "The Dick Van Dyke Show," I love Carl's performances with Sid Caesar on his TV shows and as "Whittaker Walt" in THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!" (a movie my wife and I watch yearly); his script for THE THRILL OF IT ALL (and his cameo appearance); and his movie THE COMIC (starring Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney as silent movie actors), among other things he did.  

Reiner's book "My Anecdotal Life" is like hearing sweetly humorous stories from an old friend.  I'd highly recommend it.   (I should re-read it myself!)

And I admire Carl's active life, continuing to interact with the world through his tweets up until his very last day.

Carl Reiner left the world a better place by being part of it for 98 years.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

TCM will be paying tribute to Carl Reiner with an evening of his films on July 28. Here is the line-up, per http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-07-28:

8:00PM ENTER LAUGHING (1967)

10:00PM ALL OF ME (1984)

12:00AM THE COMIC (1969)

2:00AM WHERE'S POPPA? (1970)

3:30AM OH, GOD! (1977)

Great (actually not great).  They removed Insignificance for this.

• Like 1

his best film is The Comic with Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney.