Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Rob Reiner also directed two of my favorite films: This is Spinal Tap and The Princess Bride. I think it's interesting that he and Penny Marshall were married.  Did they ever do a project together?

Before they were a couple, they both auditioned for parts in "All in the Family." Reiner, of course, was cast as Mike Stivic. Marshall lost the role of Gloria Bunker to Sally Struthers.

Reiner and Marshall played the lead characters in the 1978 ABC TV-movie "More Than Friends," which he co-wrote.

See the source image

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Reiner maintained writing status along with his other titles connected with the show.  He was at the top of a long list of contributing writers.  I wonder if he had anything to do with that line?  :D   Another good one from another episode---

Reiner scripted the "It May Look Like a Walnut" episode, and until the first cast read-through,  producer Sheldon Leonard reportedly didn't want to do the script because he couldn't understand a page of it.   😵

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I mostly remember Sheldon Leonard as the salesperson of the Handy Dandy company who sells Lucy Ricardo a cheap vacuum cleaner and then nickels and dimes her to death to purchase all the "accessories" (e.g. a power cord to power the vacuum).  He's also in the Errol Flynn film, Uncertain Glory.  But I do know who he and Danny Thomas are, and did know that they produced countless shows together. 

Leonard didn't invent the "Hey, bud..." racetrack tout on Jack Benny's radio show, but he did continue it on the 50's TV show.  To this day, when you imitate a back-alley con-man, there's a good chance you're probably imitating Leonard's voice.

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

One of my favorite episodes is the one where Laura can't stop opening Rob's mail.  He ends up using this incident as fodder for The Alan Brady Show which upsets Laura.  Then as a test, Rob buys an inflatable raft and has it sent to the house.  Laura can't resist, opens the mail and the raft and it auto-inflates in the living room--the raft is enormous.  Laura is trying to figure out how to deflate it and hide the evidence that she once again opened Rob's mail--but he comes home and the cat's out of the bag.

Rob:  [can't contain his laughs] "Um, honey....(snicker!)...Did any mail come for me today?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Leonard didn't invent the "Hey, bud..." racetrack tout on Jack Benny's radio show, but he did continue it on the 50's TV show.  To this day, when you imitate a back-alley con-man, there's a good chance you're probably imitating Leonard's voice.

Lucille Ball imitated him as Lucy Ricardo in the "freezer" episode, where she and Ethel try to unload a side of beef outside the local butcher shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marianne said:

You know something, this discussion thread has made me realize that all the episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show are my favorites! But appearances by Alan Brady are always a plus.

(This episode is a good one. I love that toy on the table: "Water Rocker Launcher with Nuclear War Head"! Look out: atomic laughs are coming right at you.)

President Kennedy could give this toy "Water Rocket Launcher with Nuclear War Head" to his son after watching this episode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

...What is a good Ritchie episode where he doesn’t yell his lines the entire time? 

While Larry Mathews pretty much always yelled his lines, the one episode in which I always thought it was "acceptable" and actually in keeping with the episode's plot was this one...

DVD-41.png

...and where Ritchie is being constantly harassed by a flying bird and thus resorts to wearing this pith helmet and these sunglasses. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love The Jerk (1979).  It's my favorite Reiner film.  My family quotes it all the time.

"You mean I'm gonna stay this color?!?"

"The Lord loves a working man.  Don't trust whitey.  See a doctor and get rid of it."

"The new phone book's here!!  The new phone book's here!!"

 

The Jerk.jpg

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Lucille Ball imitated him as Lucy Ricardo in the "freezer" episode, where she and Ethel try to unload a side of beef outside the local butcher shop.

“Tell ya what I’m gonna do”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wayne said:

I love The Jerk (1979).  It's my favorite Reiner film.  My family quotes it all the time.

"You mean I'm gonna stay this color?!?"

"The Lord loves a working man.  Don't trust whitey.  See a doctor and get rid of it."

"The new phone book's here!!  The new phone book's here!!"

My favorite line is when he picks up some white bread bland-o pop station and can keep the beat for the first time in his life and informs his black family, "This is the music that tells me to go out there and BE somebody!"

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say I've probably watched Coast to Coast Big Mouth at least a dozen times over the years if not more, and yet while watching it again tonight during this CBS tribute to Carl Reiner, I noticed I laughed out loud more times during that half hour than I can recall doing so while watching any sitcom I've watched in recent memory.

(...and so I'd say a true testament to the comedy genius that was Carl Reiner)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Gotta say I've probably watched Coast to Coast Big Mouth at least a dozen times over the years if not more, and yet while watching it again tonight during this CBS tribute to Carl Reiner, I noticed I laughed out loud more times during that half hour than I can recall doing so while watching any sitcom I've watched in recent memory.

(...and so I'd say a true testament to the comedy genius that was Carl Reiner)

I also love the part when Rob and Laura are fighting about Laura telling secrets, causing Rob to tell another secret, leading to Laura being upset with Rob for keeping a secret from her, causing Rob to have to defend himself for not telling a secret to Laura who is currently on the hot seat for telling a secret that Rob told her that she was supposed to keep secret.

(sorry that was the longest sentence ever, but I took artistic license.  This needed to be written in this convoluted fashion). 

Did anyone else think that Rob and Laura had a very strange kitchen set-up? Why aren't the dishes in the kitchen where the food is prepared?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I also love the part when Rob and Laura are fighting about Laura telling secrets, causing Rob to tell another secret, leading to Laura being upset with Rob for keeping a secret from her, causing Rob to have to defend himself for not telling a secret to Laura who is currently on the hot seat for telling a secret that Rob told her that she was supposed to keep secret.

(sorry that was the longest sentence ever, but I took artistic license.  This needed to be written in this convoluted fashion). 

Nicely done actually, speedy! ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I also love the part when Rob and Laura are fighting about Laura telling secrets, causing Rob to tell another secret, leading to Laura being upset with Rob for keeping a secret from her, causing Rob to have to defend himself for not telling a secret to Laura who is currently on the hot seat for telling a secret that Rob told her that she was supposed to keep secret.

(sorry that was the longest sentence ever, but I took artistic license.  This needed to be written in this convoluted fashion). 

Did anyone else think that Rob and Laura had a very strange kitchen set-up? Why aren't the dishes in the kitchen where the food is prepared?

In lots of houses back then (maybe even today?), the "good" dishes (china, along with the silver and crystal) were kept in a buffet or a china cabinet in the dining room, while the everyday stuff was in the kitchen.  My mom only used her good stuff on holidays (and we only used the dining room on holidays or birthdays), but I knew families that ate dinner on their best dinnerware, while breakfast and lunch used their everyday dishes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have the entire series of The Dick Van Dyke Show on Blu Ray.  I should really take the time to watch the series.  I know I've seen many episodes from all my years watching Nick at Nite, but with the exception of a few episodes, I don't really remember a lot of specific scenes.  I do enjoy the show though, it's very funny and well written. . . .

The only blight on this entire series is Ritchie.  Ritchie is the worst child actor ever.  Thankfully, he isn't really featured all that much (not like Ron Howard in The Andy Griffith Show) but when the episode is Ritchie-centric, ugh! I'm to Ritchie as Alan Brady is to Mel: "Shut up Ritchie." 

Ritchie is pretty good in his scenes for the episode "My Husband Is a Check-Grabber." Rob learns that one of his bad habits is showing up in his son, and he and Ritchie learn a lesson about friendship. (Ritchie: "Ellen loves me for my own self," or something like that.) Ritchie comes across as just a cute little kid.

He may not have been the best child actor.

Spoiler alert: There's a great episode (Boy #1, Boy #2) where he and his friend Freddie audition for a commercial that Mel Cooley is directing, and neither one of them gets the part because they are both so bad!

Link to post
Share on other sites

What bothered me about Ritchie was....

You'd figure two good lookin' people like Rob and Laura Petrie would have a better looking kid,  and too, inherit their self confidence and esteem instead of being the insecure little dweeb the writers made him out to be. 

ROB REINER now, did make a slight appearance in '67's ENTER LAUGHING as one of the actors auditioning for the part that RENI SANTONI's character gets.  And incidentally, the only time THE JERK got a laugh from me was when Martin's character was writing his folks a letter and his "inner voice"-over said(something like) "I'll be able to send some money for you as I'll  soon be working.  My girlfriend promised to give me a b l o w j o b. "  :D 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Though SINATRA is my #1 idol,  Tracy's still my fav actor ever & like 1960's Ocean's Eleven as good (***) still think Clooney and company's 2000 rehash was good (***)as well & of course Reiner had a role in it, that scene towards the end with all of them gathering to Claire de lune is marvelous

his roles as Saul is probably his finest big screen works

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marianne said:

Ritchie is pretty good in his scenes for the episode "My Husband Is a Check-Grabber." Rob learns that one of his bad habits is showing up in his son, and he and Ritchie learn a lesson about friendship. (Ritchie: "Ellen loves me for my own self," or something like that.) Ritchie comes across as just a cute little kid.

He may not have been the best child actor.

Spoiler alert: There's a great episode (Boy #1, Boy #2) where he and his friend Freddie audition for a commercial that Mel Cooley is directing, and neither one of them gets the part because they are both so bad!

all of them are gone already from that show, except of course for Van Dyke, i believe is 95 now

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

My favorite line is when he picks up some white bread bland-o pop station and can keep the beat for the first time in his life and informs his black family, "This is the music that tells me to go out there and BE somebody!"

Both Ebert & Siskel slammed The Jerk when is came out, but i personally think it was fun   Nobody=-(that i'ver seen yet) cites the fun (***) Dead Men't Don't wear plaid though, TCM once in awhile airst it, but not enough  My fav of his though is John Candy's finest work as an actor 1987's Planes, Trains & Automibles

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 3:33 PM, jakeem said:

Before they were a couple, they both auditioned for parts in "All in the Family." Reiner, of course, was cast as Mike Stivic. Marshall lost the role of Gloria Bunker to Sally Struthers.

Reiner and Marshall played the lead characters in the 1978 ABC TV-movie "More Than Friends," which he co-wrote.

See the source image

Speaking of All in the Family  Carroll 0'Connor hated Struihers to his dying day

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

What bothered me about Ritchie was....

You'd figure two good lookin' people like Rob and Laura Petrie would have a better looking kid,  and too, inherit their self confidence and esteem instead of being the insecure little dweeb the writers made him out to be. 

ROB REINER now, did make a slight appearance in '67's ENTER LAUGHING as one of the actors auditioning for the part that RENI SANTONI's character gets.  And incidentally, the only time THE JERK got a laugh from me was when Martin's character was writing his folks a letter and his "inner voice"-over said(something like) "I'll be able to send some money for you as I'll  soon be working.  My girlfriend promised to give me a b l o w j o b. "  :D 

Sepiatone

Speaking of Reni Santoni, he was in Dead Men Don't wear plaid, a lot as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

This may not be the right thread to announce this but I am a semi-fan of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  I watch the show off and on but I do admire the writing and acting in the television series.  A favorite television hobby of mine is to watch the very first episode of a television series, that is, if I like the series.  I thought I had seen the first episode in the series of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  I was wrong.  I have never seen the original pilot which became the "The Dick Van Dyke" television series, "Head of the Family",  which was turned down, rejected by television network programming executives.  The "Decades" network is going to broadcast the "Head of the Family" pilot on Friday July 10 at 9:30 P.M. Eastern Time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spence said:

all of them are gone already from that show, except of course for Van Dyke, i believe is 95 now

Not quite. Ritchie still lives. I wonder if his neighbours complain about his shouting.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...