• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bogie56

Canada Day, eh

Wednesday, July 1

255px-Flag_of_Canada_(Pantone).svg.png

220px-Mary_Pickford_cph.3c17995u.jpg220px-Walter_Huston_-_1950.jpg220px-Deanna_Durbin_in_Yank_Magazine.jpg220px-Perry-Mason-Pidgeon-1963.jpg220px-Wray,_Fay_01.jpg220px-Raymond_Massey_1961_(cropped).JPG220px-Marie_Dressler_-_1930.jpg220px-JohnIreland.jpg

Still no Canada Day TCM?  What about featuring some of these people on July 1: Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Green, John Ireland, William Shatner, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, Matheson Lang, Donald Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Laura Linney, Chief Dan George, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Francis Mankiewicz, Joanna Shimkus, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Brendan Fraser, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan and Raymond Burr.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

You have to admire the Canadians for their wit and sophistication for coming up with the name

Canada Day. Well done. But I have to admit I still prefer the English Graham Greene to the

Canadian one.

Oh, whew--I thought I had to celebrate with early 80's Canadian Film Development Corporation tax-shelter movies.  🇨🇦🏒 😩

Fortunately, a quick check on IMDb showed that included Meatballs (1979), Heavy Metal (1981), and David Cronenberg:

s-l400.jpg

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 1

255px-Flag_of_Canada_(Pantone).svg.png

220px-Mary_Pickford_cph.3c17995u.jpg220px-Walter_Huston_-_1950.jpg220px-Deanna_Durbin_in_Yank_Magazine.jpg220px-Perry-Mason-Pidgeon-1963.jpg220px-Wray,_Fay_01.jpg220px-Raymond_Massey_1961_(cropped).JPG220px-Marie_Dressler_-_1930.jpg220px-JohnIreland.jpg

Still no Canada Day TCM?  What about featuring some of these people on July 1: Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Green, John Ireland, William Shatner, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, Matheson Lang, Donald Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Laura Linney, Chief Dan George, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Francis Mankiewicz, Joanna Shimkus, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Brendan Fraser, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan and Raymond Burr.

Bogie, we Canadians on this website have talked about this idea for years. As you note, there is no lack ot Canadian cinematic talent to program on July 1st.

Oh well, at least you started this thread !

(ps:  just once I'd like to see a thread or even just a post about Canada here and not see everyone lapse into cliched jokes about Mounties or snow  and South Park memes.)

3 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Bogie, we Canadians on this website have talked about this idea for years. As you note, there is no lack ot Canadian cinematic talent to program on July 1st

Oh well, at least you started this thread !

(ps:  just once I'd like to see a thread or even just a post about Canada here and not see everyone lapse into cliched jokes about Mounties or snow  and South Park memes.)

Well, why not take this opportunity to take the thread in a more productive direction.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Well, why not take this opportunity to take the thread in a more productive direction.

Yes, that's a nice suggestion GGGGerald  (hey, I remembered all 4 G's !)   You're right, it would be a more positive way to contribute to the thread.

I guess I'll just say by way of excuse for not doing that is,  I actually have done that very thing,  eg,  made a list of good Canadian films, with little commentaries about the actors, directors, etc.,  for Canada Day threads in past years.  I honestly don't expect people to remember those suggestions, but at the same time, I don't seem to have the energy to do it again this year.

I do think all the tired cliches about Canada that I sometimes see on this site have had their day. Not even so much because they're mildly (and only mildly) insulting to Canada, as because they are tired and also untrue.

5 hours ago, ... said:

Forget it.

OK who's nobody? :blink:

My screen snapshot

forget-it.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Yes, that's a nice suggestion GGGGerald  (hey, I remembered all 4 G's !)   You're right, it would be a more positive way to contribute to the thread.

I guess I'll just say by way of excuse for not doing that is,  I actually have done that very thing,  eg,  made a list of good Canadian films, with little commentaries about the actors, directors, etc.,  for Canada Day threads in past years.  I honestly don't expect people to remember those suggestions, but at the same time, I don't seem to have the energy to do it again this year.

I do think all the tired cliches about Canada that I sometimes see on this site have had their day. Not even so much because they're mildly (and only mildly) insulting to Canada, as because they are tired and also untrue.

Yes, I TOO say it's "aboat" time these sorts of things stop, MissW!  ;)

(...sorry, just couldn't resist...and btw, Happy Canada Day up there...you guys are the best, OR as I often say, "Canadians are very much like we Americans, EXCEPT they're usually not nearly as infuriatingly cocksure about themselves as unfortunately we Yanks are much too damn often")

• Thanks 1

I would settle for a handful of American Mountie movies on Canada Day.  We do have a sense of humour.  Spelled hum-o-u-r, as you know, Dargo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I have suggested once before a way to save links to posts so that in times like this one, you could be able to link to the thread you made rather than to type it all over again.

I have a friend in BC that I chat with often. It seems that although Canada is the second largest country in the world, people there seem to be happy to stay under the radar. She lives in a ski village and she's happy that most don't think of Canada when they think of ski vacations. That keeps the crowds down.

So what you would prefer is to discuss great Canadian cinema, and not the stereotypical stuff. Okay, got it !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hamradio said:

340?cb=20140915233518&path-prefix=rockya

Oh, please.  Can't you think of anything a little more original?

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yes, I TOO say it's "aboat" time these sorts of things stop, MissW!  ;)

(...sorry, just couldn't resist...and btw, Happy Canada Day up there...you guys are the best, OR as I often say, "Canadians are very much like we Americans, EXCEPT they're usually not nearly as infuriatingly cocksure about themselves as unfortunately we Yanks are much too damn often")

Nobody says "aboat" or even "aboot".      I get so tired of that.

Still, Dargo, thanks for the nice friendly Canada Day  wishes.  ☺️

45 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Nobody says "aboat" or even "aboot".      I get so tired of that.

Still, Dargo, thanks for the nice friendly Canada Day  wishes.  ☺️

You're welcome, MissW.

(...but still I insist that my Canadian family there Kelowna BC say "aboat" all the time, and so maybe that's more a western Canada thing than it is prevalent there in your Toronto area)

• Like 1

"South Park Bigger, Longer, Uncut" (1999)

Canadian Ambassador....This is not aboot diplomacy, it's aboot dignity, it's aboot respect.

....release Terrance and Phillip or we'll give you something to cry aboot.

maxresdefault.jpg

Like to post the clip but it contains profanity.

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

You're welcome, MissW.

(...but still I insist that my Canadian family there Kelowna BC say "aboat" all the time, and so maybe that's more a western Canada thing than it is prevalent there in your Toronto area)

I'm sure they only talk that way in Kelowna when they say they're getting on a boat. You should take an aboot face on this one, Dargo. While Canada is a large country and there can be some variations in speech, I'm sure, I've never heard any Canadian pronounce "about" any way other than that.

Besides, you Yanks are always thinking that others have accents or "funny speech." I know this after being told about my "Australian" accent when I took a trip to Vegas.

6 hours ago, TomJH said:

I'm sure they only talk that way in Kelowna when they say they're getting on a boat. You should take an aboot face on this one, Dargo. While Canada is a large country and there can be some variations in speech, I'm sure, I've never heard any Canadian pronounce "about" any way other than that.

Besides, you Yanks are always thinking that others have accents or "funny speech." I know this after being told about my "Australian" accent when I took a trip to Vegas.

Well, you have to remember here Tom that not every American has as good an ear for such things as I have!  ;)

And, with this great ear that I have for this sort'a thing perhaps being best exemplified by my ability to ALSO hear Ben Mankiewicz's propensity of pronouncing the word "actor" as "AAACK-tor" and similarly to how that talking duck that hawks insurance in those television commercials (well at least down here in the states anyway) pronounces the name of the insurance company he's promoting. AND, which it seems I'm one of the few Americans OR Canadians for that matter who can hear AND properly recognize that TOO!!! LOL

(...oh and btw, that "aboot" thing up there that you wrote would of course be more a Scottish accent thing than it ever would be Canadian, and as it seems so many of my fellow Americans also get wrong quite often)

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...oh and btw, that "aboot" thing up there that you wrote would of course be more a Scottish accent thing than it ever would be Canadian, and as it seems so many of my fellow Americans also get wrong quite often)

Well, you got that right, Dargo. I can't speak for how any Scots living in Canada may say "about." All bets on pronunciation are off there.

What about all those French-Canadians with their peculiar accents?  I'm of 100% French Canadian descent, with some of my grandparents speaking only French.  However, it had a peculiar accent, and when I studied French in high school and college, I couldn't get trained out of the accent.  Sometimes, people would say "bien" as "bane", for instance, and mix lots of French with Americanisms.  However, when I visited the very cosmopolitan Montreal a few years ago, I was surprised at the beautiful French the people spoke and realized that my French grandparents, mostly millworkers and resettled rural folk, were speaking the French version of Cockney English.

• Like 5

Belated Happy Canada day to our northern neighbours 😉.

I watched a few episodes of 'Letterkenny' yesterday since I wasn't sure about which films I could find that were Canada-centric.

Besides film stars, the Dominion has given us some great musical talent that I enjoyed listening to in my formative years..."When I think about those nights in Montreal....."  Ah, to be young again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rosebette said:

What about all those French-Canadians with their peculiar accents?

b0a27b9010d1b7af28bf36209775f431.jpg

:lol:

2 hours ago, rosebette said:

What about all those French-Canadians with their peculiar accents?  I'm of 100% French Canadian descent, with some of my grandparents speaking only French.  However, it had a peculiar accent, and when I studied French in high school and college, I couldn't get trained out of the accent.  Sometimes, people would say "bien" as "bane", for instance, and mix lots of French with Americanisms.  However, when I visited the very cosmopolitan Montreal a few years ago, I was surprised at the beautiful French the people spoke and realized that my French grandparents, mostly millworkers and resettled rural folk, were speaking the French version of Cockney English.

So rosebette, regarding this French Canadian accent that was kind of as you said a "French version of Cockney English" that you said your grandparents spoke.

I've been wondering for years now and ever since I watched this episode of F-Troop first-run back in the '60s, IF perhaps it might have sounded anything like the one Larry Storch spoke in this clip from that sitcom ;) ...

• Haha 1