On 7/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, ... said:

Forget it.

used to be 'Lawrence'

:blink:

now where the heck did HE go???

:huh:

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, you have to remember here Tom that not every American has as good an ear for such things as I have!  ;)

And, with this great ear that I have for this sort'a thing perhaps being best exemplified by my ability to ALSO hear Ben Mankiewicz's propensity of pronouncing the word "actor" as "AAACK-tor" and similarly to how that talking duck that hawks insurance in those television commercials (well at least down here in the states anyway) pronounces the name of the insurance company he's promoting. AND, which it seems I'm one of the few Americans OR Canadians for that matter who can hear AND properly recognize that TOO!!! LOL

(...oh and btw, that "aboot" thing up there that you wrote would of course be more a Scottish accent thing than it ever would be Canadian, and as it seems so many of my fellow Americans also get wrong quite often)

I have to agree with you, Dargo.  Aboat and Aboot are just exaggerations but Canadians DO pronounce words like that a bit differently.   I couldn't hear it myself but I have had Canadian actors 'corrected' by American directors when they hear the "Canadianisms" coming through when they are supposed to be playing American characters.

When I moved to London it was easier to pick up on the distinctiveness.  I started to be able to recognize voices from Minnesota because they sounded more Canadian than those from other States.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, misswonderly3 said:

I do think all the tired cliches about Canada that I sometimes see on this site have had their day. Not even so much because they're mildly (and only mildly) insulting to Canada, as because they are tired and also untrue.

Canadian films have come a long way from MST's 80's Rowsdower & Teenage Nightmare type movies. They are typically high quality productions and definitely well acted. I sometimes think not breaking big in Hollywood acting results in a better balance of work/sanity/family life that Canadians have cultivated.

Canada is just more civilized, less populated & slower paced than the US. Toronto is like "Little NY" and my least favorite Canadian  city. There is nothing wrong with FBC, supplementing industry of culture & the arts. Imagine US government dollars spent that way.

The most notable accent quirk (aside from spelling ie "behaviour") I picked up from Canada is "pro-cess" and "pro-gress" instead of the NY "prah-cess" and "prah-gress". I'd say about 200 miles south along the Canadian border has a hybrid accent-most notable in the midwest "Fargo" accent.

I loved that old I AM CANADIAN commercial-we have those black squirrels now too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, and then there's this one...

Bob-and-Doug-McKenzie.jpg

You travel only a bit further north of Toronto and people start to sound like Bob and Doug Mckenzie, eh.

But generally to most people the difference between urban Canadian and urban American (other than New Yawk)  is like trying to distinguish between Australian and Kiwi.  I try my best to figure that out as most Kiwis don't like to be asked what part of Australia they come from.

Two days late but:

Happy birthday to Canada.

Happy birthday to my sister (59).

Happy birthday to my cat Rocky (15). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

So rosebette, regarding this French Canadian accent that was kind of as you said a "French version of Cockney English" that you said your grandparents spoke.

I've been wondering for years now and ever since I watched this episode of F-Troop first-run back in the '60s, IF perhaps it might have sounded anything like the one Larry Storch spoke in this clip from that sitcom ;) ...

'Fffraid not... This doesn't represent any accent I've heard anywhere!  Very funny,  though.  The French-Canadian vs. Parisian French accent differ mostly in pronunciation of vowels.   French-Canadian accent has more of a long "A" sound in words like bien, demain, etc.  We also say "Eh" a lot.  By the way, Banff is in Western Canada, whereas my folks all came from Quebec.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rosebette said:

'The French-Canadian vs. Parisian French accent differ mostly in pronunciation of vowels.   French-Canadian accent has more of a long "A" sound in words like bien, demain, etc.  We also say "Eh" a lot.  By the way, Banff is in Western Canada, whereas my folks all came from Quebec.

There is several regional accents in the Québec province which is normal,but overall the French in Québec is better then the one from France which Anglicised everything,it is incredible the English words in France now.. and i'am not talking about 'shopping' hélas...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rosebette said:

'Fffraid not... This doesn't represent any accent I've heard anywhere!  Very funny,  though.  The French-Canadian vs. Parisian French accent differ mostly in pronunciation of vowels.   French-Canadian accent has more of a long "A" sound in words like bien, demain, etc.  We also say "Eh" a lot.  By the way, Banff is in Western Canada, whereas my folks all came from Quebec.

LOL

Loved the "'Fffraid not" here, rosebette!

Nope, actually I didn't really think Larry Storch (who btw is still with us at age 97) had nailed that particular accent there, as I figured he was just doing what many people might think of as your standard French-Canadian (fur trapper) accent. And yeah, that is probably my favorite episode of that old sitcom. 

And yes again, I did know that Banff(ff-ff ;) ) is located out west in the province of Alberta, as my birth mother with whom I reconnected back in 2007 lived in the Banff and Lake Louise area for a few years back in the 1960s and before she moved back to her hometown of Kelowna BC. I'd occasionally fly up to Kelowna to visit her and until she passed away about a year and a half ago now. 

(...she was a lovely lady, and I was so glad my wife initiated this reconnection)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Imagine US government dollars spent that way.

We'd get the politicized Federal Theatre Project, or things similar to what were proposed in the Shirley Temple movie Stand Up and Cheer.

12 hours ago, Fedya said:

We'd get the politicized Federal Theatre Project, or things similar to what were proposed in the Shirley Temple movie Stand Up and Cheer.

Many of the greatest plays (made into wonderful movies) were part of the WPA. Same for gorgeous public art mural paintings & sculptures. I live next to a beautiful park with cobblestone stairs, newels & drainage sluices built by out of work masons during the Depression. 

With so many out of work, seems like a good idea to get people employed. 

• Like 2

One -Third of the Nation is pretty awful, although it does have the hilarious scene if Sidney Lumet's fever-dream with the tenement talking to him.  :lol:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fedya said:

Back then the "Department of Amusement" won't fill empty stomachs.  Amusing the movie flopped, even Shirley waking people from their slumber couldn't save that turkey.

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Many of the greatest plays (made into wonderful movies) were part of the WPA. Same for gorgeous public art mural paintings & sculptures. I live next to a beautiful park with cobblestone stairs, newels & drainage sluices built by out of work masons during the Depression. 

With so many out of work, seems like a good idea to get people employed. 

A dangerously decrepit old building sat on a piece of prime real estate (a "carpet the area with $100 bills, and the land is worth more than the money" situation). Owners were desperate for years to tear it down, but two walls of the lobby had murals painted at that time. 

I was handed the job of guarding a company's interest in the performance/liability of the firm which coordinated the work (and listened to diatribes from every side) of the engineers who figured out how to keep those walls intact, the demolition company which tore down the rest of the building, the security company responsible for seeing no one came in and cut out sections of the murals (wherever there's art, there are thieves and collectors willing to pay big for unique pieces), an architectural/engineering firm and general contractor to build a standalone room safely incorporating the walls, said room then to be incorporated into the new building, and every city agency, art committee, heritage group, and nutjob on the Eastern Seaboard who wanted credit for saving the works (seriously, more than one wanted their name on a plaque in the room attesting to their efforts).

Fortunately, I was able to duck out of having my contract renewed for a third year, so I don't know how it all ended. 

I saw pictures of the murals. Meh. As someone is wont to say, "not to my taste." On the other hand (you have different fingers . . . ahem) -- it was actual art, it was important to real people (not just art historians), and all it took was money to save them, so why not? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1