Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dorothy Dandridge as SOTM September 2020

To my knowledge, this will be only the third time in TCM's history that a Black performer has been honoured as Star of the Month, and the first time that performer will be someone other than Sidney Poitier.

Sundays, September 13 - 27

September 13

CARMEN JONES (1954)

BRIGHT ROAD (1953)

SUN VALLEY SERENADE (1941)

September 20

TAMANGO (1959)

TARZAN'S PERIL (1951)

THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS (1951)

September 27

ISLAND IN THE SUN (1957)

THE DECKS RAN RED (1958)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thank you. It's about time Dandridge was honored like this. 

A very good decision.

Yes, it is,  especially for TCM to feature someone other than the great Sidney.

But I do wonder if there has ever been a SOTM will less films shown. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes, it is,  especially for TCM to feature someone other than the great Sidney.

But I do wonder if there has ever been a SOTM will less films shown. 

And if this will be a trend going forward. 

Dandridge obviously appeared in more than the 8 films TCM has chosen to spotlight.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2020 at 4:45 PM, TopBilled said:

And if this will be a trend going forward. 

Dandridge obviously appeared in more than the 8 films TCM has chosen to spotlight.

I hope it doesn't mean they're doing this half-heartedly, though it's possible they're truly hampered by a dearth of quality material, which should then be part of the discussion around these films by whoever hosts them, why such a stellar performer was in effect locked out of A-List Hollywood. (As if we don't know why.) Even among the 8 films there seem to be clunkers. I shudder to think of what she may have been asked to do in Tarzan's Peril, and The Harlem Globetrotters sounds like an iffy showcase too. The big hole at the center of this line-up is, of course, Porgy and Bess. I know the Gershwin estate is committed on keeping it from the public according to his wishes, but exceptions have been made and I find it inconceivable that TCM wouldn't have the will and the clout to bring it about. Back in the 1980's a local Boston movie host negotiated a one-time screening in his time slot and that's my only viewing to date. Come on, TCM; it won't happen unless you try to make it happen. Yes, I know there are problems with stereotypes, but given the current climate the whole series of Dandridge films should probably be carefully curated and contextualized anyway to be sure she's honored in the fullest way.

Having said that, I've been looking forward to some of these films for years. This may seem silly, but I remember a scene in To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar, in which Wesley Snipes' character engages an older local woman who is something of a recluse and a savant. She lives in the shuttered family movie house with lots of memorabilia and they bond over Dorothy Dandridge, listing her movies in a kind of call-and-response way. I specifically remember Tamango and The Decks Ran Red, as well as one not on the schedule, Malaga. As I said, silly, but I've been wanting to see them ever since.

• Like 2

It was occurring to me that the rescheduling of the Oscars telecast next year provides an ideal opportunity for TCM to honour Black History Month in a more substantial way on air in February. And they can still do the usual Oscar month in April or whenever that ends up happening.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I wish they would have anted up the money to show ATLANTIC CITY (1944), a Republic musical that gives her a few moments to shine. Plus it also features Louis Armstrong.

Is money truly a barrier to specific movies being shown? I wonder what TCM's financial situation really is. This same problem seems to come up again and again. The cruises are obviously on hold but I'm sure the Wine Club is thriving with so many people indoors and I have no doubt they're offloading lots of trinkets to the Backlot. Maybe I'm being unfair, but who else besides TCM would be clamoring for the rights to Atlantic City, so how expensive could it actually be? Or is it because TCM is basically the only market that the fees are high? I get the idea of penny-pinching in the day-to-day programming at least, but when they themselves choose specific stars or themes to highlight, shouldn't the purse strings be a little looser? Are they really comfortable with "Here's the great Dorothy Dandridge in...Tarzan's Peril"???  It's easy to criticize, I know, but it does bug me. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Is money truly a barrier to specific movies being shown? I wonder what TCM's financial situation really is. This same problem seems to come up again and again. The cruises are obviously on hold but I'm sure the Wine Club is thriving with so many people indoors and I have no doubt they're offloading lots of trinkets to the Backlot. Maybe I'm being unfair, but who else besides TCM would be clamoring for the rights to Atlantic City, so how expensive could it actually be? Or is it because TCM is basically the only market that the fees are high? I get the idea of penny-pinching in the day-to-day programming at least, but when they themselves choose specific stars or themes to highlight, shouldn't the purse strings be a little looser? It's easy to criticize, I know, but it does bug me. 

I think TCM is too top heavy salary-wise. Ben Mankewicz was making $200,000 a year when Robert Osborne was still alive and in the lead role. I can only imagine how much Ben's salary increased with Robert gone. Not to mention all the other hosts' salaries and the executives' salaries.

I don't think they're putting the money back into acquiring rare films like they should. My view.

• Thanks 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

I think TCM is too top heavy salary-wise. Ben Mankewicz was making $200,000 a year when Robert Osborne was still alive and in the lead role. I can only imagine how much Ben's salary increased with Robert gone. Not to mention all the other executives' salaries.

They're not putting the money back into acquiring rare films like they should.

Yeah, I guess I should have suspected that. I was hoping the business model wasn't quite so industrial, with the money flowing to the top, but it makes sense at least.

Just now, DougieB said:

Yeah, I guess I should have suspected that. I was hoping the business model wasn't quite so industrial, with the money flowing to the top, but it makes sense at least.

I see you quoted me, but I had slightly revised my previous comment in order to also reference other hosts' salaries. Plus to remind readers that this is my view. But I do know how much Ben was earning because he used to post about it on social media.

• Like 1

This has to be the lowest amount of SOTM films ever. Lower than even Grace Kelly. What about Joan Bennett? Still waiting. :( Why bother? Some of these films are hardly worth showing.. If they wanted to pick a black performer, they could've made a better choice than this!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tamango was pretty harrowing but appropriate for the current social climate, taking place almost entirely on a slave ship. I was only familiar with the title, not the movie, and it quickly became obvious why. It was a French production, which Donald Bogle said had a very limited release in this country, though in target areas like Detroit it had been very enthusiastically received. Dorothy's character was basically being kept by the white captain but eventually sided with the (probably doomed) slave revolt, so it was a fairly complicated and morally ambiguous role, which she handled well. It definitely showed her range, though it was depressing seeing such an elegant and sophisticated being tamped down to meet the requirements of the role. I passed on the Tarzan movie because I realized  I'd seen it before, but now I'm looking forward to Island in the Sun. It's basically soapy melodrama, but it's beautifully filmed with a great cast. Dorothy's best roles only highlight the sad fact that she rarely got the types of parts she deserved.

• Like 1

I really want to see "Sun Valley  Serenade",  I had no idea she starred in a" Little Rascals" film.   "Bright Road" is really good.  I have to catch her biopic starring Halle Berry as well.    "Paper Doll" was also a cute short film.  I like the Mills Brothers as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...