Links:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-29

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 12.17.55 PM 2.jpeg

Dorothy Dandridge is Star of the Month.

Spotlight-- Honoring Our Medical Heroes.

Special Theme-- To Be Announced.

End of Summer Concert Tour-- Concert films airing over Labor Day Weekend.

Essentials-- Jacques Tourneur; Damon Runyon; and Marius Goring.

There's a 24 hour salute to Mickey Rooney on what would have been his 100th birthday.

Also-- Leonard Maltin has a night focusing on short films. Not sure if this will be a regular series.

• Thanks 4

Huh.  So TCM finally decided to premiere All that Jazz.

17 hours ago, skimpole said:

Hope you are looking forward to it.

I like the idea of the concert films over the Labor Day weekend. I don't think TCM has done anything on this scale before. I'm especially looking forward to Otis at Monterey, which seems to be the full set, of which Monterey Pop featured an excerpt. I used to have an LP with Otis' set from Monterey on one side and Jimi's on the other, but it will be nice to see the actual footage of both. 

• Like 2

I'm into '60s rock as much as I assume James Jazz Guitar is into ... jazz guitar, so I'm pretty pumped. It looks like quite a treasure trove. I generally don't watch too many of the documentaries, but I might dive into quite a few of these

• Like 1

The End of Summer Concert Tour runs four evenings.

Stars getting primetime spotlights-- Bob Fosse; Ursula Andress; Meryl Streep

1    special theme: women make film
2    bob fosse
3    spotlight: honoring our medical heroes
4    end of summer concert tour

5    end of summer concert tour
6    end of summer concert tour
7    end of summer concert tour
8    special theme: women make film
9    back to school
10  spotlight: honoring our medical heroes
11   ursula andress
12  essentials: directed by jacques tourneur
13  star of the month dorothy dandridge
14  leonard maltin's short film showcase
15  special theme: women make film
16  if i could turn back time
17  spotlight: honoring our medical heroes
18  the open road
19  essentials: damon runyon
20  star of the month dorothy dandridge
21  meryl streep
22  special theme: women make film
23  100th birthday tribute: mickey rooney
24  spotlight: honoring our medical heroes

25  civil war westerns
26  essentials: starring marius goring
27  star of the month dorothy dandridge
28  americans with disabilities act
29  special theme: women make film
30  class acts

OK, I get it. They are putting Dorothy Dandridge on Sunday nights so there are only 4 hours of films (truncated by Silent Sunday Nights at midnight) and she only has three nights. I thought it would be hard to fill up the schedule with her films since she didn't make that many and only lived until age 43. 

20 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

OK, I get it. They are putting Dorothy Dandridge on Sunday nights so there are only 4 hours of films (truncated by Silent Sunday Nights at midnight) and she only has three nights. I thought it would be hard to fill up the schedule with her films since she didn't make that many and only lived until age 43. 

Well she did appear in enough films for a fourth night, but as you can see the first Saturday in September is taken up by the concert film series.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Well she did appear in enough films for a fourth night, but as you can see the first Saturday in September is taken up by the concert film series.

I know she had cameos in tons of films, but I wasn't sure about rights problems, condition of the early films, etc. 

8 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I know she had cameos in tons of films, but I wasn't sure about rights problems, condition of the early films, etc. 

In the 1940s she was often assigned the specialty act numbers with other African American musical performers. Sort of like what happened to Lena Horne.

Dandridge is fantastic in a Republic musical called ATLANTIC CITY (1944) where she appears alongside Louis Armstrong. It was digitally restored by Paramount a few years ago. But TCM doesn't seem to show many Paramount films unless they are directed by Billy Wilder or Preston Sturges; or if they star John Wayne. Priorities, I guess. 

I strongly urge readers to seek out ATLANTIC CITY. You will get a real sense of how she does a show-stopping number.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.20.38 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

In the 1940s se was often assigned the specialty act numbers with other African American musical performers. Sort of like what happened to Lena Horne.

Dandridge is fantastic in a Republic musical called ATLANTIC CITY (1944) where she appears alongside Louis Armstrong. It was digitally restored by Paramount a few years ago. But TCM doesn't seem to show many Paramount films unless they are directed by Billy Wilder or Preston Sturges; or if they star John Wayne. Priorities, I guess. 

I strongly urge readers to seek out ATLANTIC CITY. You will get a real sense of how she does a show-stopping number.

It's not on youtube. It's not on DVD/Blu. That's just like Paramount to restore something, not release it to the public, and give take down notices on youtube to anybody that does. 

7 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

It's not on youtube. It's not on DVD/Blu. That's just like Paramount to restore something, not release it to the public, and give take down notices on youtube to anybody that does. 

You're right. I just checked. It used to be on Amazon Prime.

Several years ago Paramount took control of the Republic Pictures library, which has about 1000 titles including serials. The folks at Paramount digitally restored about 700 of these films, more than two-thirds.

After they were restored, a batch of the Republic "A" titles with big name stars were released on DVD/Blu-ray. Other films like ATLANTIC CITY (1944) which had novelty value, were not issued on DVD but made available on Netflix then later on Amazon Prime for streaming. 

Hopefully they will make this title available again in the future. It's well worth seeing.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, skimpole said:

I'd also say that Postcards from the Edge is a long overdue premiere. Early 90s Columbia title, obviously the story of Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher, and had played at a TCM film Festival. it's a natural for the channel and its a surprise it didn't turn up already like many other early 90s Columbia/TriStar  titles have (River Runs Through It, Prince of Tides, Remains of the Day, Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, Awakenings, etc.) 

• Like 1

Mickey Rooney was born on September 23, 1920 as Ninnian Joseph Yule Jr.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 4.15.58 PM

TCM's tribute for him includes the following films:

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 4.22.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 4.22.32 PM

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Only 8 films for Dandridge... with that type of yardstick, we could have had Mae West as an SOTM by now......

Earlier I created a thread about films that are legally prevented from being shown on TCM. One of the titles I mentioned is PORGY AND BESS (1959). Undoubtedly TCM would have aired it in September if they had been able to do so. It's one of her most important showcases as a lead actress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porgy_and_Bess_(film)

Just now, TopBilled said:

Earlier I created a thread about films that are legally prevented from being shown on TCM. One of the titles I mentioned is PORGY AND BESS (1959). Undoubtedly TCM would have aired it in September if they had been able to do so. It's one of her most important showcases as a lead actress.

Absolutely. But its been held in a sort of limbo for years. Two more to add to your thread of films that cannot be seen: The blue Veil (1951) and Death of a Salesman (1951)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Absolutely. But its been held in a sort of limbo for years. Two more to add to your thread of films that cannot be seen: The blue Veil (1951) and Death of a Salesman (1951)

Thanks for mentioning those two.

There's another one that seems to have legal issues-- the MGM comedy REMAINS TO BE SEEN (1953). And Dorothy Dandridge has a role in it.

According to MovieCollector's database, it only aired once on TCM, back in 1995.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remains_to_Be_Seen

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for mentioning those two.

There's another one that seems to have legal issues-- the MGM comedy REMAINS TO BE SEEN (1953). And Dorothy Dandridge has a role in it.

According to MovieCollector's database, it only aired once on TCM, back in 1995.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remains_to_Be_Seen

Also Where Were You When the lights Went Out. Based on a French play, its the rare MGM film that has never been on TCM and has been AWOL since an early 90s VHS release. Ditto 1959's Ask Any Girl, but I don't know what that was based on.

• Like 1

I was wondering what the special theme was, so I rechecked it.  It's not complete yet, but apparently it's women directors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd almost forgotten about all those blank spots. Looks like they've only partially filled them in. Just two films on the schedule for the night of September 1 so far, for example: Merrily, We Go to Hell from Dorothy Arzner (Paramount, 1932) and I, You, He, She, a 1975 French film from Chantal Ackerman.

• Like 1

There seems to be some kind of "women in the old west" theme for the evening of the 16th. What caught my eye was Strange Lady in Town (1954) with Greer Garson and Dana Andrews. I had no idea she'd done a western, though I think in real life she married a rancher (or was he a horse breeder?). Leonard Maltin called it unsuccessful, but I'm still going to check it out. It must be one of her final films, though I remember well Sunrise at Campobello a number of years later.

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

There seems to be some kind of "women in the old west" theme for the evening of the 16th. What caught my eye was Strange Lady in Town (1954) with Greer Garson and Dana Andrews. I had no idea she'd done a western, though I think in real life she married a rancher (or was he a horse breeder?). Leonard Maltin called it unsuccessful, but I'm still going to check it out. It must be one of her final films, though I remember well Sunrise at Campobello a number of years later.

Don't pay attention to Maltin on that one. It's a decent, well-made picture. It was Garson's first film after leaving MGM. She was freelancing and signed to do the picture at Warner Brothers. TCM aired it when she was Star of the Month last time.

What might be of greater interest is that the hit television series Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman borrows heavily from STRANGE LADY IN TOWN, which is also about a female doctor during the frontier days.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skimpole said:

I was wondering what the special theme was, so I rechecked it.  It's not complete yet, but apparently it's women directors. 

Thanks. I just edited my earlier post where I had listed the primetime themes. I changed all the ones that said "special theme tba" to "special theme: women make film."