Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Washington owner Dan Snyder announces team will review nickname

In a move that was long past due, Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder announced Friday the team will undergo a “thorough review of the team’s name.”

The team said it has been discussing internally a name change with the league in recent weeks.

Snyder said in a statement:

“This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community is proud to represent on and off the field.”

Head coach Ron Rivera said in a statement it was an “issue of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Dan Snyder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans and our Military.”

In a separate statement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed the discussions and said, “We are supportive of this important step.”

The announcement comes after weeks of pressure for the team to change it.

For years, Snyder had bluntly rejected any and all calls for him to change the team name. Snyder went so far as to declare he would “never,” in all caps, change the name in 2013.

So what changed on a topic where Native American protesters, the White House and the United Nations Human Rights Council found only deaf ears? In a word: money.

Two of the team’s biggest financial partners signaled they wanted a name change. FedEx, which owns the naming rights to the team’s stadium, recently revealed it informed the team it wanted to see a new name at FedEx Field. Nike, the league’s official uniform supplier, did more showing than telling when it wiped the team’s products from its online store.

Our PC world never ends for Democrats, they keep harping until they get their way, then move on to the next one and start harping again.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Our PC world never ends for Democrats, they keep harping until they get their way, then move on to the next one and start harping again.

Newsflash:  The year is 2020, not 1820.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

In a move that was long past due, Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder announced Friday the team will undergo a “thorough review of the team’s name.”

The team said it has been discussing internally a name change with the league in recent weeks.

Snyder said in a statement:

“This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community is proud to represent on and off the field.”

Head coach Ron Rivera said in a statement it was an “issue of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Dan Snyder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans and our Military.”

In a separate statement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed the discussions and said, “We are supportive of this important step.”

The announcement comes after weeks of pressure for the team to change it.

For years, Snyder had bluntly rejected any and all calls for him to change the team name. Snyder went so far as to declare he would “never,” in all caps, change the name in 2013.

So what changed on a topic where Native American protesters, the White House and the United Nations Human Rights Council found only deaf ears? In a word: money.

Two of the team’s biggest financial partners signaled they wanted a name change. FedEx, which owns the naming rights to the team’s stadium, recently revealed it informed the team it wanted to see a new name at FedEx Field. Nike, the league’s official uniform supplier, did more showing than telling when it wiped the team’s products from its online store.

Having respect for others is a matter of first having respect for yourself.

2 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Justin Trudeau wore blackface and is still running the country. That is much worse than a simple name.

You know that he has apologized for those youthful indiscretions.  Now you are just trolling which is your want.

You have no problems with your President sexually assaulting 22 women, do you?  Which he has NOT apologized for.

11 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Justin Trudeau wore blackface and is still running the country. That is much worse than a simple name.

A simple name that shows a lack of respect for a native people who have been maligned in this country for centuries.

Redskins is a pejorative descriptor of Native Americans.  Always has been.  It never should have been adopted as a name for a sports team.  That would be similar to calling the Atlanta Falcons, the Atlanta (insert N word).  Or maybe the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas W e t ba c ks s.

• Thanks 2

This name change falls under what I have been saying related to private companies and branding;  this is NOT censorship,  it is just capitalism.  

Because nothing politically really changed (i.e.  the so called PC folks have been calling for this change for over 2 decades)  as it relates to getting Sydner to consider a name change.   His motive is purely financial.

"Two of the team’s biggest financial partners signaled they wanted a name change. FedEx, which owns the naming rights to the team’s stadium, recently revealed it informed the team it wanted to see a new name at FedEx Field. Nike, the league’s official uniform supplier, did more showing,  than telling,  when it wiped the team’s products from its online store."

49 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

And this name change falls under what I have been saying related to private companies and branding;  this is NOT censorship,  it is just capitalism.  

Because nothing politically really changed (i.e.  the so called PC folks have been calling for this change for over 2 decades)  as it relates to getting Sydner to consider a name change.   His motive is purely financial.

"Two of the team’s biggest financial partners signaled they wanted a name change. FedEx, which owns the naming rights to the team’s stadium, recently revealed it informed the team it wanted to see a new name at FedEx Field. Nike, the league’s official uniform supplier, did more showing,  than telling,  when it wiped the team’s products from its online store."

I'm confused as how this relates to my post.

Elizabeth Warren pretended to be Native American to advance her career, then ran for president and was never asked a question about it by Democrats during the debates. Now suddenly they want to care.

• Like 1

How about the Washington Embarrassments, since they've sucked for so long.

They could keep the red color scheme. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

Elizabeth Warren pretended to be Native American to advance her career, then ran for president and was never asked a question about it by Democrats during the debates. Now suddenly they want to care.

Why do you continue with the fake news?    Didn't you even read what you posted?   It was Fed Ex and Nike that are the main reason Snyder is looking into changing the name.   These are US corporations.       There are not owned by the Democratic party.

As for Warren:   yea, she was a fraud and phony;  if your point was selective outrage:  I agree 100% - it is a common partisan tacit.     Something you should know  well since you use that tacit in about 80% of what you post here!

Phoenix officials are set to begin the process of changing the names of two streets:

Squaw Peak Drive and Robert E. Lee Street.

One name is seen as demeaning to indigenous Native American women
and the other as glorifying the Confederacy.
4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Phoenix officials are set to begin the process of changing the names of two streets:

Squaw Peak Drive and Robert E. Lee Street.

One name is seen as demeaning to indigenous Native American women
and the other as glorifying the Confederacy.

a street named after him does not mention the confederacy.

one of the first things I remember reading about the civil war when I was a kid is how brilliant a military strategist Robert E. Lee was recognized as being even before the civil war.

Robert E. Lee does not imo deserve this level of demonization.

TOP 25 QUOTES BY ROBERT E. LEE (of 145) | A-Z Quotes

Robert E. Lee Painting by John Adams Elder

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

a street named after him does not mention the confederacy.

one of the first things I remember reading about the civil war when I was a kid is how brilliant a military strategist Robert E. Lee was recognized as being even before the civil war.

Robert E. Lee does not imo deserve this level of demonization.

TOP 25 QUOTES BY ROBERT E. LEE (of 145) | A-Z Quotes

Robert E. Lee Painting by John Adams Elder

How odd you should pick the 4th of July to honor an American traitor.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

How odd you should pick the 4th of July to honor an American traitor.

Well he does support the current President, another American traitor.  Something like 68% of Trump supporters would welcome election interference by Vladimir Putin AGAIN according to one poll.  They see nothing wrong with it at all even though it upends the entire concept of free democratic elections.  Heck the Republican Party is all about voter suppression and Republican supporters are just fine with that too.  They see their class of Americans as being more important than the other class.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Well he does support the current President, another American traitor.  Something like 68% of Trump supporters would welcome election interference by Vladimir Putin AGAIN according to one poll.  They see nothing wrong with it at all even though it upends the entire concept of free democratic elections.  Heck the Republican Party is all about voter suppression and Republican supporters are just fine with that too.  They see their class of Americans as being more important than the other class.

It's funny you should say class--

Because all these run of the mill trump supporters don't even belong to the upper classes. .

The upper classes are the ones who are definitely running the show. And I'm not even talking about upper middle class people who are comfortable in life--

I'm talking about Millionaires and Billionaires.

Some lower class whites-- chiefly those lacking a substantial higher education--

Have racial and bigotry hatreds-- fueled by low self-esteem--

Which are driving them to stay with the virtually lily-white Republican Party. 

But, the Republican party is ironically, the millionaire and billionaire party. Who operate the Republican party for their own 1% self-interest.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

It's funny you should say class--

Because all these run of the mill trump supporters don't belong to the upper classes. .

The upper classes are the ones who are definitely running the show. And I'm not even talking about upper middle class people who are comfortable in life--

I'm talking about Millionaires and Billionaires.

Some lower class whites-- chiefly those lacking a substantial higher education--

Have racial and bigotry hatreds-- fueled by low self-esteem--

Which are driving them to stay with the virtually lily-white Republican Party. 

But, the Republican party is ironically, the millionaire and billionaire party. Who operate the Republican party for their own 1% self-interest.

I'm reading David Frum's Trumpocalypse.  He talks about how the "heartland" has come to mean "real" Americans which is just Republican phoney messaging.  A, it makes the GOP appealing to those voters and B, it marginalizes people who live in cities as not being as genuine a citizen or representative of the population or culture.  It gives more power to the rural population because as Sen. Cotton said, they deserve it.  This is HS of course because a far greater number of people live in urban environments.

I'm not going to pull the book out but he also looks at some Red States  which traditionally vote about 57% democrat because of the large black population and people who live in the cities.  Yet when it comes to dividing up the Congressional seats based on that same vote, Republicans usually take 6 out of the 7 Congressional seats.  This is due to careful gerrymandering.  Hardly democratic or fair.

• Thanks 1