Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SunAndMoon

"Guilty pleasure" movies

I dislike the term "guilty pleasure." If it's a pleasure, you shouldn't have to feel guilty about it, and if it makes you feel guilty, it's not really a pleasure. But I couldn't come up with a better title for this thread, so here we are.

Not all of these are guilty pleasures in the strictest sense, but they are movies I sincerely love, regardless of how time, critics, or public opinion have treated them.

All Through the Night (1941)
Beyond the Rocks (1922)
Evita (1996)
Gangster Wars (1981)
The Great Gatsby (2013)
Guys and Dolls (1955)
Hello, Dolly! (1969)
The Karate Kid (1984)
Les Misérables (2012)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
Prince of Foxes (1948)
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
TRON (1982)

What movies are your so-called guilty pleasures?

• Like 3

The Big Lebowski (1998)

The Wrong Man (1993)

Sin City (2005)

Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)

Kill Bill  Vol. 1 & 2 (2003)

The Pink Panther (1963)

True Romance (1993)

After the Fox (1966)

Siesta (1987)

Age Of Consent (1969)

Dark City (1998)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, but am aware that not everyone does. But I don't consider it a guilty pleasure, just a pleasure for my own personal taste.

Other 'guilty' pleasure movies that I don't feel a bit awkward about liking are THE FOG (1980), CREEPSHOW, MISS CONGENIALITY, THE NAKED GUN movies.

But I have to confess there are movies that I like that I do wish that I did not so I guess that would deserve the label 'guilty pleasure'. THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK and NINE 9 1/2 WEEKS come to mind. And even though I do consider it Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece, I still feel uncomfortable (though that was the movie's point) watching certain scenes of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE even though I can't turn away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Night Listener Poster

The Night Listener (2006) In one of his serious roles, Robin Williams plays a radio talk show host who receives calls from a young boy claiming to be a big fan. The boy also has serious medical conditions according to his mother (Toni Collette). She also says the boy was molested by a group of pedophiles. While the story is intriguing, it is often so over the top that it becomes funny. Williams becomes suspicious of the mother's story and goes to the small town where they live. He is met with hostility by the townspeople, this may be serious material but the way Williams is treated is so ridiculous. In one unintentionally hilarious scene a big fat cop uses a cattle prod on him! This is the only movie I can think of that I consider a "guilty pleasure" since I feel a bit guilty about laughing at it, but still somehow enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

Now THAT is a guilty pleasure movie!  Another is...

STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989)

• Like 2

I always thought guilty pleasures were those films that were so bad, or in such bad taste, that no one is supposed to like them (like Plan 9... or like many of the John Waters films).   

Mine, probably because one of our local stations always ran it (it must've been especially cheap to show):  Zardoz

Why the costume designer didn't win an Oscar is beyond me 🙂

Zardoz_zed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

THE FOG (1980)

I consider that movie "dumb"... I really like it too.  Definitely a guilty pleasure.  Anything ADRIENNE BARBEAU I like. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't consider them guilty pleasures either.  I just consider what is on TV that might amuse me (and my mother - who is not an easy person to live with).  That is different from paying money to see a film.  I like Robert Downey Jr. and I watched Due Date.  I rewatched the second Bridget Jones (and started the first).  I like Kevin Kline and watched him in In and Out (Tom Selleck and his right-hand guy in Blue Bloods both in it) and The Big Chill, Silverado and some film I can't remember that is similar to Dead Poet's Society.  Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire and the original Jumanji.  One film that I saw the end of again (and only watched on TV) is Keeping Up with the Steins.  It is about a boy's Bar Mitzvah and having had a Bat Mitzvah and know that my parents kept it inexpensive and very hamisha or family, friends, etc. at our house (the night after - girls always got Friday night slots while boys got Saturdays).  Gary Marshall stars as the boy's grandfather and Doris Roberts is his grandmother (with Daryl Hannah as his grandfather's new-age girlfriend and, I think, Jeremy Piven and Jamie Gertz as parents - plus Richard Benjamin as a Rabbi).  Like Big, Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail (as well as the original Shop Around the Window).  Also a sucker for Nick for Nora (or Norer -- to make it rhyme since my parents were from the Bronx).

• Like 3

I discovered Keeping up with the Steins and found it laugh out loud funny.    I would say Mel Brooks movies are my guilty pleasure, especially Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and High Anxiety.  I even like Men in Tights.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, rosebette said:

I discovered Keeping up with the Steins and found it laugh out loud funny.    I would say Mel Brooks movies are my guilty pleasure, especially Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and High Anxiety.  I even like Men in Tights.

I like that one also have the DVD. Zardoz

• Like 1

"Guilty pleasures" works fine.  Trouble is that some people's "guilty pleasures" might be someone else's favorite movies and which they don't feel "guilty" about.  ;) 

A few of mine are...

ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES

HEAD w/The Monkees

CAN I DO IT TILL I NEED GLASSES?

BRONCO BILLY

BUGSY MALONE

I'll have to give more some added thought.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I hated this movie the first time a friend showed it to me on an RCA disc player. But now I find it addictive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Silver Chalice is the first one that comes to mind. And Susan Slade.

Great idea for a thread.

Possible definition for "guilty pleasure" is a movie that is not politically correct, which a person shouldn't like, but probably still does.

• Thanks 1

The Lords of Flatbush (1974)

What's New Pussycat (1965) 

The Devil's Advocate (1997)

Murder By Death (1976)

The Warriors (1979)

Fright Night (2011)

Green Card (1990)

Bugsy Malone and The Blues Brothers were mentioned above.  I like them both, too but never really thought of them as guilty pleasures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

The Lords of Flatbush (1974)

Peebs, The Lords of Flatbush has one of the scariest scenes I've ever seen in a movie. It's the scene where Sylvester Stallone's girlfriend and her BFF railroad poor Stallone into buying a way too expensive engagement ring with the money he's saved for the car of his dreams. Now that's scarier than any horror movie!

• Haha 2

It isn't politically correct to like Woody Allen these days but I still find Sleeper makes me laugh (and I like the soundtrack).  Wasn't there an earlier Fright Night?  Saw that one years ago as well as Edward Hermann camping it up in The Lost Boys (also Overboard - original with Goldie and Kurt).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

It isn't politically correct to like Woody Allen these days but I still find Sleeper makes me laugh (and I like the soundtrack).  Wasn't there an earlier Fright Night?  Saw that one years ago as well as Edward Hermann camping it up in The Lost Boys (also Overboard - original with Goldie and Kurt).

I racked my brain trying to come up with a film that might fit this category and the only one I could think of was Overboard.        I was about to post that and then saw that you just did!

Overboard is silly and corny and I know I should just turn-away,,,   but there is something charming that keeps me watching  (I assume it is the actual romance of Goldie and Kurt that hooks me).

PS:   For T.V. viewing it is the serial Dark Shadows;    I'm watching this on decades and one 'game' my wife and I are playing is which of us can point out the mistakes;  most of them are flubbed reading of their lines,  but sometimes there are also background shadows of crew members! 

E.g.   3 nights ago Barnabas,  who was in the year 1789,  was talking about the new country and the justice system and the Salem witch hunts (I guess Salem was close to Collinport \ Colinwood).   He gets all fired up and yells out:   in this new land one is innocent until proven innocent! 

Yes,  "proven innocent";     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kingrat mentioned Susan Slade. I love all these soap opera films. Parrish, Summer Place, Susan Slade. I also love  Gidget, Tammy movies,The Trouble With Angels, The Parent Trap, Yours, Mine and Ours, With Six You Get Eggroll. I'm a sucker for these kinds of movies, they're just relaxing and fun to watch.

• Like 4

HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1

PITCH PERFECT

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Wasn't there an earlier Fright Night? 

Yes, with Roddy MacDowell, who's fantastic in it! I would call it a guilty pleasure of mine.

• Like 1

Another possible definition -- liking movies that defy age or gender expectations.

For instance, a grown man enjoying Shirley Temple movies. Guilty as charged!

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Kingrat mentioned Susan Slade. I love all these soap opera films. Parrish, Summer Place, Susan Slade. I also love  Gidget, Tammy movies,The Trouble With Angels, The Parent Trap, Yours, Mine and Ours, With Six You Get Eggroll. I'm a sucker for these kinds of movies, they're just relaxing and fun to watch.

I love The Trouble with Angels!  I'd also add The World of Henry Orient (1964).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, with Roddy MacDowell, who's fantastic in it! I would call it a guilty pleasure of mine.

Yep, but I do like the remake, too.  I think I may be in the minority here on that one, though.