Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SunAndMoon

"Guilty pleasure" movies

Anything with Maria Montez. Arabian Nights, Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, Cobra Woman, Gypsy Wildcat - all hokum, all fun.

arabian-nights-lobbycard-maria-montez-19

Universal horror films of the '30s and '40s. I grew up with them on late night television. Some are better than others but, no matter how silly and weak some of them may be, these atmospheric horror treats, which really aren't so horrifying, continue to entertain me. Karloff, Lugosi and Chaney will always have a special place in my child's heart.

image-w1280.jpg?1576032329

Craeture.jpg

image-asset.jpeg?format=2500w

Universal-02.jpg?resize=1000,520

universal-horror-collection-vol-1.jpg

bride%20of%20frankenstein%20main%20(Cust

kharismummy02-1.jpg?w=696

• Like 2

ICE STATION ZEBRA  (1968)

This is my favorite Arabian Nights (talk about guilty "pleasures") - 

6 hours ago, fxreyman said:

ICE STATION ZEBRA  (1968)

Good pick here, Rey.

I've always wondered why this film has always been pooh-poohed so much over the years. And so because it has, I guess I would call it one of my "guilty pleasures" too.

(...and no, I don't allow my finger and toe nails to grow to exorbitant lengths, just in case anyone might now be wondering about that) 

And now MY Number One "guilty pleasure" of all time...

queen-of-outer-space.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Good pick here, Rey.

I've always wondered why this film has always been pooh-poohed so much over the years. And so because it has, I guess I would call it one of my "guilty pleasures" too.

(...and no, I don't allow my finger and toe nails to grow to exorbitant lengths, just in case anyone might now be wondering about that) 

You mean like this... at the 34 second mark...

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Good pick here, Rey.

Yeah I think I have read very many reviews indicating that Ice Station Zebra was Howard Hughes favorite film and that he would screen the film hundreds of times. But I really enjoy the film along with Where Eagles Dare and Breakheart Pass.

• Like 1

1970's Little Fauss and Big Halsy.

Not that I actually do feel any guilt about liking this movie - but I remember well how most of the critics told us we should abhor it. One of them quipped "Redford should have known better".

I've seen it about 10 times. Redford looks the best he ever looked - virile, tanned and athletic. He's at the bare-chested sexiest condition of his career.

And, he's a total cad - not heroic in any way. A selfish, womanizing user of anyone he can - and that especially includes his diminutive co-star Michael J. Pollard.

Pollard, incidentally, is brilliant in this movie.

Critics hated it, but I thought it was terrific.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, fxreyman said:

Yeah I think I have read very many reviews indicating that Ice Station Zebra was Howard Hughes favorite film and that he would screen the film hundreds of times. But I really enjoy the film along with Where Eagles Dare and Breakheart Pass.

And what's kind'a funny here is that Ice Station Zebra is actually a very plausible story compared to Where Eagles Dare.

(...still gotta admit though that there are few "guilty pleasures" more pleasurable than watchin' two guys absolutely annihilate a whole Nazi regiment, and even as unbelievable as that is)

On 7/10/2020 at 7:33 PM, Dargo said:

And now MY Number One "guilty pleasure" of all time...

queen-of-outer-space.jpg

Yes !! Zsa Zsa is so beautiful in this one...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nakano said:

Yes !! Zsa Zsa is so beautiful in this one...

Yeah, Zsa Zsa is beautiful in this one, I guess.

However, being one who has always gone more for the big sultry brunette type, it's always been bit player Lynn Cartwright in the middle of these three "Venusian" women that I always look for whenever I watch this schlockfest/guilty pleasure of a movie...

OIP.hqFZUL2hI-4QJW66pve6cwHaDG?pid=Api&r

Lynn Cartwright Picture

Lynn was married for 50 years to big tough guy actor Leo Gordon. She made a few other B-pictures and did some TV work in the '60s-'80s, and her last role was as the present day and older Dottie character that Geena Davis played in flashback in the bulk of 1992's A League of Their Own...

4bc44b11c10d0f1f0f917b08059ebdde.jpg

(...she died in 2004)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, Zsa Zsa is okay I guess.

However, being one who has always gone more for the big sultry brunette type, it's always been bit player Lynn Cartwright in the middle of these three "Venusian" women that I always look for whenever I watch this schlockfest of a flick...

OIP.hqFZUL2hI-4QJW66pve6cwHaDG?pid=Api&r

Lynn Cartwright Picture

Lynn was married for 50 years to big tough guy actor Leo Gordon. She made a few other B-pictures and did some TV work in the '60s-'80s, and her last role was as the present day and older Dottie character that Geena Davis played in flashback in the bulk of 1992's A League of Their Own...

4bc44b11c10d0f1f0f917b08059ebdde.jpg

(...she died in 2004)

Yes i remember her when i watched the movie several years ago,sultry indeed..

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 8:21 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Don't feel guilty. I was a HUGE Monkees fan as a kid and I didn't like HEAD one bit. Maybe you had to be 'out of it' on substances to be able to appreciate it (much like a lot of folks were stoned when watching 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY) but it was too 'far out' for me to make heads or tails out of it.

Still like their music though, even if it wasn't really them who were performing the songs (at least not on their TV series, not sure about the movie).

Well, me and mine were also fans of The Monkees' TV show and a few of their songs(mostly on the LP on which they played their own instruments[ "Headquarters"]), and the songs in HEAD were pretty good too.(especially "The Porpoise Song"(the "theme" of the movie and a Gerry Goffin/Carol King tune).  And sure, a 1968 release meant it was primarily targeted at a now older and dope fueled audience of long time fans, who weren't expecting anything more than the usual Monkees' nonsense.  You gotta also remember too, that JOHN LENNON was a huge Monkees fan.  Referring to them as "The Marx Brothers of rock and roll."  ;) 

Sepiatone