• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dennis Miller named TCM guest programmer

CelluloidKid

*Dennis Miller named TCM guest programmer*

Aug. 21, 2009

United Press International

*LOS ANGELES, Aug. 21 (UPI) -- Comedian, author and commentator Dennis Miller has agreed to serve as a Turner Classic Movies guest programmer this fall, the U.S. network said.*

Miller is expected to appear with TCM host Robert Osborne and present a collection of his favorite films Oct. 21.

Miller's lineup includes "Dodsworth," "The Third Man," "Suspicion" and "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House."

In addition to Miller, upcoming guest programmers include actor/comedian Richard Lewis Sept. 21; Oscar-winner Anthony Hopkins Nov. 30; and alternative singer/songwriter Neko Case Dec. 8.

That looks like a pretty good lineup of guest programmers.

Dennis Miller should be quite interesting talking with Robert Osborne. I've always been impressed with Mr. Miller's conversational skills, especially when he's interviewing guests on a talk show.

It should be a hoot to watch Robert Osborne trying to carry on a conversation with super-hyper Richard Lewis. Every time I've seen Mr. Lewis (whether he's doing stand-up or just having a "real life" conversation) he's always been a jumpy bundle of nerves!

As for Anthony Hopkins, the interesting appeal of THAT goes without saying!

> {quote:title=Hudson_Hawk wrote:}{quote}

> I'm the only one allowed to be snarky around here.

If you say so. :|

As for DM, I'm not really crazy about him and don't find him particularly funny, but I might give it a try when his intros start playing. If I don't like it, I'll just make sure to skip all intros and outros for the next year. :P

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Hudson_Hawk wrote:}{quote}

> > I'm the only one allowed to be snarky around here.

>

> If you say so. :|

>

> As for DM, I'm not really crazy about him and don't find him particularly funny, but I might give it a try when his intros start playing. If I don't like it, I'll just make sure to skip all intros and outros for the next year. :P

I think it's just one night. No fear.

Of course......

I forget......

Many posters here on this message board are left of center.

That is why some might think that having a guest programmer like right of center Dennis Miller might not be the easiest thing to swallow.

I know I had the same feeling about Alec Baldwin when he was a GP.

Still do.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> That is why some might think that having a guest programmer like right of center Dennis Miller might not be the easiest thing to swallow.

I've never even considered whether or not DM had political leanings. I just don't find him all that funny, and that's got nothing with his politics.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> Of course......

>

> I forget......

>

> Many posters here on this message board are left of center.

>

> That is why some might think that having a guest programmer like right of center Dennis Miller might not be the easiest thing to swallow.

>

> I know I had the same feeling about Alec Baldwin when he was a GP.

>

> Still do.

I'm not a fan of Miller, but as I recall, he moved from slightly left of center to hard right following 9/11. Could be wrong.

His film choices are solid. I could care less what his politics are unless he slams them down our throat during his intros/outros. Doubt he will.

Like his politics or hate them, Dennis Miller is a very smart man. His choices for TCM reflect that.

I think the same thing about Alec Baldwin's commentaries -- he's obviously a smart guy who knows his stuff.

I'd be fine (and equally interested in) hearing intelligent commentary about movies from political folks on either side of the aisle. The key phrase is _intelligent commentary_ .

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> > *Dennis Miller named TCM guest programmer*

>

> And wasn't he just wonderful as the blonde-haired Tarzan, The Ape Man, and the bearded "Gorton Fisherman?"

Denny Miller was billed as "Scott Miller" when he played Tarzan. I particularly liked him when he played the beleaguered Air Force sergent-husband of Juliet Prowse in the short-lived 1960s sitcome Mona McCluksey.

I welcome hearing both of their commentaries, the point being that I suspect they both have something to say that I respect.

I'm personally as liberal as it is possible to be, but I respect a different viewpoint that comes from an intelligent discussion.

Dennis Miller made great choices for his GP picks. I look forward to watching him introduce them.

*Well, before we start comparing Miller to Baldwin, let's just remember that Miller's just going to be guest programmer for one night.*

Why? Alec Baldwin was a Guest Programmer a few years back. He left his politics (as they usually do) out of the conversation and focused on what the four films he chose meant to him.

I would expect Dennis Miller to do nothing less.

LOUSY CHOICE! Idiotic neo-con, cheerleader for the insane Iraq War *cost to U.S. taxpayers: $3 trillion)* tells everybody "I want to kill terrorists," but really means "I want poorly paid, poorly equipped 19-year-olds to kill terrorists, not me, because I'm having lunch at the Beverly Hills Hotel today."

With all the great stars languishing around Hollyweird without work or exposure, since the town has been taken over by children, why not give the opportunity to ANYBODY else who has actually had a movie career?

> {quote:title=Ascotrudgeracer wrote:}{quote}

> LOUSY CHOICE! Idiotic neo-con, cheerleader for the insane Iraq War *cost to U.S. taxpayers: $3 trillion)* tells everybody "I want to kill terrorists," but really means "I want poorly paid, poorly equipped 19-year-olds to kill terrorists, not me, because I'm having lunch at the Beverly Hills Hotel today."

And, to put it into perspective, that $3 trillion would pay for thirty years' worth of the Democrats' proposed health-care plan that, over the same thirty years save perhaps twenty-thousand lives for every life lost on 9/11.

Of course, I'll bet that already Miller has very good health insurance, and doesn't really care how much he's being charged in monthly premiums.

Miller made great movie choices.

I think it's too bad that some here would prefer that programmer choices are made according to political ideology. I can't stand Alec Baldwin's politics, but hey, if he can discuss classic movies intelligently (which he seems to be doing on the rare occasions I've caught him) -- more power to him. There should be room for everyone who loves classic film at TCM...and thankfully there is.

*Good point, Lynn. Still, count me among those who wouldn't want to see DM doing what Baldwin is doing at the moment, and it has nothing to do with the man's politics, which I don't even know.*

I don't think anyone is arguing for Dennis Miller to co-host *The Essentials*. Everyone else is talking about him as a Guest Programmer.

Nor has there been any word from TCM that they are even considering that. They seem very happy with Baldwin as co-host and by most accounts, he really enjoyed working with Robert O.

I wouldn't mind Baldwin getting a second season as co-host of *The Essentials*. He's doing a good job.