Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

Ringo Starr Is 80

Ringo Starr in "The Magic Christian" 1969 Commonwealth United

Of course he will be always known as The Beatles' drummer but a talented star in his own right.

He did not sing lead on too many Beatle songs but they were all entertaining, my favorite is "With A Little Help From My Friends" from the Sgt Pepper album.

He was also the best actor in the group. He had a great solo sequence in A Hard's Day Night". My favorite of his non Beatle movies was The Magic Christian (1969), while not that great was better than most of ones he appeared in (some are really bad like Caveman and Sextette), Here he underplays as a sidekick to Peter Sellers and there are some amusing moments and good music.

My favorite of his solo albums is Ringo, which has two great #1 singles "Photograph" (which he co wrote with George Harrison) and "You're Sixteen" a great remake of the Johnny Burnette song.

What are your favorites of his music or movies?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Not sure if I care. Or if this is newsworthy. I am sure a lot of other people are turning 80 today in this big world of ours.

But I guess it's better than a thread that reads Ringo Starr is in the Bathroom or Ringo Starr is Dead.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I love RINGO and he has always been my favorite BEATLE.  I watched A HARD DAY'S NIGHT the other day (again) and it's mainly for the RINGO parts.  I want a copy of Beaucoup Of Blues... but the album RINGO is easier to love.  PAUL wrote a song for RINGO to include on that album, I think. 

RingoCover.jpgBeaucoupsBCover.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Ringo Starr in "The Magic Christian" 1969 Commonwealth United

Of course he will be always known as The Beatles' drummer but a talented star in his own right.

He did not sing lead on too many Beatle songs but they were all entertaining, my favorite is "With A Little Help From My Friends" from the Sgt Pepper album.

He was also the best actor in the group. He had a great solo sequence in A Hard's Day Night". My favorite of his non Beatle movies was The Magic Christian (1969), while not that great was better than most of ones he appeared in (some are really bad like Caveman and Sextette), Here he underplays as a sidekick to Peter Sellers and there are some amusing moments and good music.

My favorite of his solo albums is Ringo, which has two great #1 singles "Photograph" (which he co wrote with George Harrison) and "You're Sixteen" a great remake of the Johnny Burnette song.

Looks like TB is not a Beatles or Ringo fan... 🙂 

I know my brother is feeling a bit older to know that a Beatle hit 80 today.  He had a stack of those orange & yellow Capitol 45s of Beatles singles before he got an eight track player in the late 60s.  He made me watch Yellow Submarine when it aired on TV sometime in the early 70s.   I was only 7 or 8 at the time, and most of it went over my head.

My favorite Ringo song was It Don't Come Easy.  You're Sixteen was written by the Sherman brothers, most widely known today as Disney's in-house composers (e.g. Mary Poppins)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

... He was also the best actor in the group. He had a great solo sequence in A Hard's Day Night". My favorite of his non Beatle movies was The Magic Christian (1969), while not that great was better than most of ones he appeared in (some are really bad like Caveman and Sextette), Here he underplays as a sidekick to Peter Sellers and there are some amusing moments and good music.

I agree that Ringo was the best actor in the Beatles.  The others are amusing in A Hard Day's Night (and the Beatles' other movies), but Ringo created more of a character in HDN than the others did.  

I think the only other movie I've seen Ringo in is Son of Dracula (1974), which starred Harry Nilsson and featured veteran British actor Dennis Price, as well musician friends Keith Moon, Leon Russell, and Klaus Voorman.  It came out while I was in high school, and along with a friend who was also a devoted Beatle fan, I went to see it in one of the few showings that this relatively under-distributed movie received.  Even to our teenaged sensibilities, the humor seemed overly broad, but the movie was fun and featured some good Nilsson vocal performances ("Without You," which he didn't write, and "Jump Into The Fire," which he did).  

I've always wanted to see The Magic Christian but have never found an opportunity (although I love the Badfinger album with songs from the movie).

Ringo is a great album, one of the best solo works by any of the ex-Beatles.  In fact, because of the hits from that album, along with the excellent hit single "It Don't Come Easy," Ringo was the most musically successful ex-Beatle for a time.  I won the Ringo album from a radio station when it first came out, and I played it endlessly.  It features performances by all of the Beatles, the Band, Marc Bolan, Billy Preston, and Nilsson, among others, as well as songs written by Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Ringo, and Randy Newman.

A few years back, I saw Ringo and his All-Starr Band (this incarnation featuring Todd Rundgren).  It was a very enjoyable night of hits associated with Ringo and his various band members.  I remember being impressed by how fit Ringo was, for a guy in his 70s at the time.  He was very energetic throughout the show and seemed determined to really entertain the sold-out crowd.

Ringo Starr may not have had his biggest accomplishments in the movie world, but overall, he's entertained a lot of people for a lot of years.

Happy Birthday, Ringo!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Of course Ringo turning 80 is thread worthy. Glad the thread was started. 

It Don't Come Easy is probably my favorite. I really like Act Naturally, Ringo and Buck Owens recording. As a young teen Paul was my favorite, later on it was George. I LOVE the Traveling Willbury's ( thinking about George)  and I played that tape constantly. I digress,  so back to Ringo, I've always loved all the Beatles and wishing Ringo a Very Happy Birthday. ( OY! Ringo is 80, I feel so old) :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Most guys, back in the "day" always felt that Ringo would have been the best Beatle to hang out with. He always seemed so affable and easy going.

And unlike TXFILMFAN, I thought CAVEMAN was a hoot!    And as another aside oddity-----

Back in the '70's jazz drummer BUDDY RICH shocked the DOWNBEAT magazine readership when he declared that one of his favorite drummers was RINGO STARR!  :o Claimed he liked him better than BILLY COBHAM, the then wildly lauded jazz drummer.  He gave several good reasons for it, boiling down to, "Ringo gives the music all that it needs and is appropriate and doesn't feel the need to show off."  And went on..."That 'snap' he gives his snare is a unique feature to his style."    And besides....  My wife loved his "sweet" blue eyes!  ;) 

And I liked most of his post Beatle solo work.  So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ringo!  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Wishing him a Happy Birthday.  I remember screaming my head off (not literally) while watching Beatles on Ed Sullivan.  Does anyone remember Pete Best, original drummer, who claimed that he was too good looking and that is why he lost his job.  George Martin said that Ringo was a good drummer; Pete wasn't.  Ringo is lucky to still be here.  Led Zepplin (sp?) and The Who lost their drummers (as did the members of Spinal Tap - I love that film).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Looks like TB is not a Beatles or Ringo fan... 🙂 

I'm a Beatles fan. But these guys are so over-reported and so over-observed, for decades, that it gets a bit much. It's like they can't go to the bathroom without someone making a news story about it. 

Also I don't see where an 80th birthday is a major event these days. If he was turning 100, sure. But he's just turning 80 and like I said there are a lot of people turning 80. So why does he need to get singled out. Unless it's just an excuse to talk about the music again, which we can do anytime.

My views.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

But he's just turning 80 and like I said there are a lot of people turning 80.

US economist and politician Dick Armey also turned 80 today, you must admit more care about Ringo than him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

But these guys are so over-reported and so over-observed, for decades, that it gets a bit much. It's like they can't go to the bathroom without someone making a news story about it. 

I think they WERE over-reported... 50 years ago.  It's JUSTIN BIEBER's bathroom habits or KARDASHIANs we're  hearing 'bout these days... or the RESIDENT of the U.S.'s tweeting...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I'm a Beatles fan. But these guys are so over-reported and so over-observed, for decades, that it gets a bit much. It's like they can't go to the bathroom without someone making a news story about it. 

Also I don't see where an 80th birthday is a major event these days. If he was turning 100, sure. But he's just turning 80 and like I said there are a lot of people turning 80. So why does he need to get singled out. Unless it's just an excuse to talk about the music again, which we can do anytime.

My views.

No worries.

Eighty probably is more of a milestone in rock music than other disciplines.  Many stars die much earlier than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And to muddy it up, let's also have a moment of silence for CHARLIE DANIELS, who just died at 83.  :(

Sepiatone

• Like 2

This is not just related to Ringo Starr of course...but I've always found it interesting that millions of people know details about Celebrity X's life, and that the Celebrity knows nothing about these other people. Like if he met the average fan, he wouldn't know one single thing about their lives, except that they worship and adore him. 

It's like we have the nobodies on one side, and there are a lot of nobodies...then the somebodies who have no understanding of the nobodies. Only that they can use the nobodies to make money and hold on to fame. It's a very unbalanced thing. The cult of Celebrity is hugely lopsided. 

But in the end, we're all people who walk on the same earth a certain number of years then leave it. Each life is of value, no one should be more important than any other if we are all serving each other and not ourselves.

Rant over. LOL

53 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I agree that Ringo was the best actor in the Beatles.  The others are amusing in A Hard Day's Night (and the Beatles' other movies), but Ringo created more of a character in HDN than the others did.  

He was also the main character in Help!, since the plot revolved around a sacred ring on his finger that everyone was after. 

• Like 2

It looks like there will be an online concert for his 80th:  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Jimmy Carter celebrates his 74th wedding anniversary today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, jakeem said:

I'm truly amazed today at how excited and interested young people are in The Beatles and their music.

The Beatles were the quintessential part of my adolescence and growing up. But today I too am still amazed at how good the music still sounds.

Richard Starkey was the best drummer that the Beatles ever had and the best drummer for The Beatles.

Sometimes when you stay in the background and your contribution is making everybody else look good--

Well then, sometimes you're ignored.

But that never happened with Ringo because he was the most popular Beatle with the most comedic natural ability on-and-off screen.

Happy 80th Birthday to Ringo--

My favorite Beatle

You made Dingle Vale very proud and very famous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm not a fan of the Beatles-mostly because I was there when they first hit the airwaves. But I absolutely appreciate their role in our musical/cultural history. 

It is a milestone for anyone turning 80, (but as already stated by txfilmfan) notable for a rock n roller.

With all the negativity these days, Ringo's Big Birthday Show celebrating his life & contribution to our lives is a WELCOME diversion! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

... Richard Starkey was the best drummer that the Beatles ever had and the best drummer for The Beatles. ...

I think Ringo is an outstanding drummer.  

But when someone opines on his drumming talent, I always think of John Lennon's unfair joke at Ringo's expense.  Asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John replied dismissively, "He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles"  -- apparently referring to Paul's very credible drumming.

If the comment isn't apocryphal, maybe John was just kidding his old pal.  I hope so.  Ringo was exactly the right drummer for the Beatles, and as of a few years ago, he still had that talent when I saw him play one summer night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Peace. Ringo did live longer than John and George and being 80 is something to celebrate, even if that

landmark is more common today. The only record I ever bought by Ringo was the It Don't Come Easy

single. The B side is an interesting little ditty titled Early 1970 about the Beatles' travails during that

time. The cover is kind of funny, a photo of Ringo dressed all in black wearing boots and a cowboy hat 

and strumming an acoustic guitar. Whatever. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I think Ringo is an outstanding drummer.  

But when someone opines on his drumming talent, I always think of John Lennon's unfair joke at Ringo's expense.  Asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John replied dismissively, "He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles"  -- apparently referring to Paul's very credible drumming.

If the comment isn't apocryphal, maybe John was just kidding his old pal.  I hope so.  Ringo was exactly the right drummer for the Beatles, and as of a few years ago, he still had that talent when I saw him play one summer night.

From a musician POV being a good drummer relates to only one thing;    keeping time during practice sessions;   YES,  practice sessions more so then even actual performances (and way more so than recording sessions since the drummer often is recorded without the rest of the band).

But a drummer that loses time just kills practice sessions and historically that has caused more riffs between band mates than anything else a drummer does. 

• Thanks 1

"It Don't Come Easy" was always my favorite post-Beatles Ringo recording, also. And so because it seemed I haven't heard it for some time, I just now I googled it on my laptop in order to hear it again.

And after I did, I discovered Ringo actually wrote it. And here I had always thought George Harrison had written it for him as it sounds so much like George's music style, but evidently sole writing credit went to Ringo, and although it was said George did collaborate with him some. 

(...and so here's to you Birthday Boy...Happy 80th, Ringo...may you have many more)

• Like 1

And btw, I just MUST comment on the following here...

5 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think they WERE over-reported... 50 years ago.  It's JUSTIN BIEBER's bathroom habits or KARDASHIANs we're  hearing 'bout these days... or the RESIDENT of the U.S.'s tweeting...

Sorry Allhallows and no offense intended here, AND I got your point here TOO btw, BUT the names "Justin Bieber" and ESPECIALLY any of the "Kardashians" should NEVER EVER be referenced OR mentioned within ANY sentence OR posting that itself references ANY of the Beatles...period.

(...as once again ANY of the Beatles possess(ed), and as that old saying goes, MORE talent in the tip of their little finger than any of those aforementioned kids possess in their ENTIRE body...and once again, period!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

But a drummer that loses time just kills practice sessions and historically that has caused more riffs between band mates than anything else a drummer does. 

And as a gal who has dated my share of drummers.....some of my favorite drummer jokes:

How can you tell a drummer's at the door?

He keeps knocking & doesn't know when to come in

How do you get the drummer off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza

What do you call a drummer with half a brain

Gifted

Why do guitarists put drumsticks on their dashboard?

To park in the handicapped spot

What's the difference between a drummer & a savings bond?

The savings bond matures & makes money.

Ba-da-boom!

• Haha 4