Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

Ringo Starr Is 80

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

From a musician POV being a good drummer relates to only one thing;    keeping time during practice sessions;   YES,  practice sessions more so then even actual performances (and way more so than recording sessions since the drummer often is recorded without the rest of the band).

But a drummer that loses time just kills practice sessions and historically that has caused more riffs between band mates than anything else a drummer does. 

From what I learned in my past from some of the older A-levels, in addition to that, a giant part of this is whether or not they can get along with the rest of the band while on tour.  Is this drummer/banjo player/whatever a jerk and a prima donna and difficult to get along with on the tour bus, or is he/she good company?

Much of the time when it comes to veteran musicians who don't have fragile egos, you will often have someone in the group who is a so-so player but as fun as hell to have around.  Musical ability can indeed be a second hand consideration.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dargo said:

"It Don't Come Easy" was always my favorite post-Beatles Ringo recording, also. And so because it seemed I haven't heard it for some time, I just now I googled it on my laptop in order to hear it again.

And after I did, I discovered Ringo actually wrote it. And here I had always thought George Harrison had written it for him as it sounds so much like George's music style, but evidently sole writing credit went to Ringo, and although it was said George did collaborate with him some. 

(...and so here's to you Birthday Boy...Happy 80th, Ringo...may you have many more)

I'm with Dargo. This is easily Sir Ringo's best solo single.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

From what I learned in my past from some of the A-levels, in addition to that, a giant part of this is whether or not they can get along with the rest of the band while on tour.  Is this drummer/banjo player/whatever a jerk and a prima donna and difficult to get along with on the tour bus, or is he/she good company?

Much of the time when it comes to veteran musicians who don't have fragile egos, you will often have someone in the group who is a so-so player but as fun as hell to have around.  Musical ability can indeed be a second hand consideration.

OR in other words, THEN you had Keith Moon, RIGHT?!  ;)

An absolutely BRILLIANT drummer (I still marvel at his "Won't Get Fooled Again" drum riffs) but OH my my, what a madman!

24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sorry Allhallows and no offense intended here, AND I got your point here TOO btw, BUT the names "Justin Bieber" and ESPECIALLY any of the "Kardashians" should NEVER EVER be referenced OR mentioned within ANY sentence OR posting that itself references ANY of the Beatles...period.

(...as once again ANY of the Beatles possess(ed), and as that old saying goes, MORE talent in the tip of their little finger than any of those aforementioned kids possess in their ENTIRE body...and once again, period!)

Blah blah blah... have fun?  No BEATLE was mentioned in my post... and no sentence was shared with those people either... no offense intended.  :)

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

OR in other words, THEN you had Keith Moon, RIGHT?!  ;)

An absolutely BRILLIANT drummer (I still marvel at his "Won't Get Fooled Again" drum riffs) but OH my my, what a madman!

Bet they really liked him for his chops.  😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Blah blah blah... have fun?  No BEATLE was mentioned in my post... and no sentence was shared with those people either... no offense intended.  :)

Well, actually they were mentioned, or at least referenced to, and by your use of what you implied as the Beatles' "overexposure" during their Beatlemania days, and then your comparison to them(or to that phenomenon) to the far less talented Mr. Beiber and the NO talent Kardashians.

(...however, no offense taken in turn here, again) ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

And as a gal who has dated my share of drummers.....some of my favorite drummer jokes:

How can you tell a drummer's at the door?

He keeps knocking & doesn't know when to come in

How do you get the drummer off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza

What do you call a drummer with half a brain

Gifted

Why do guitarists put drumsticks on their dashboard?

To park in the handicapped spot

What's the difference between a drummer & a savings bond?

The savings bond matures & makes money.

Ba-da-boom!

They were treating Ringo like the President when Stuttering John strode up to the mic.

Stuttering John, “What did you do with the money?”

Ringo, “What money?”

Stuttering John, “The money your mom gave you for singing lessons.”

Ringo, “Well, I actually spent it on fish and chips.”

-Private Parts pg. 531

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

And as a gal who has dated my share of drummers.....some of my favorite drummer jokes:

How can you tell a drummer's at the door?

He keeps knocking & doesn't know when to come in

How do you get the drummer off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza

What do you call a drummer with half a brain

Gifted

Why do guitarists put drumsticks on their dashboard?

To park in the handicapped spot

What's the difference between a drummer & a savings bond?

The savings bond matures & makes money.

Ba-da-boom!

What does it mean when the drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth?

The drum platform is level and you are good to go.

------

Two drunks are walking along. One drunk says to the other, "What a beautiful night, look at the moon."

The other drunk stops and looks at his drunk friend. "You're wrong, that's not the moon, that's the sun."

They began to argue when they come upon a drummer. They asked, "Sir, could you please help settle our argument? Tell us what that thing is up in the sky that's shining. Is it the moon or the sun?"

The drummer looked at the sky and said, "Sorry, I don't live around here."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure if I care. Or if this is newsworthy. I am sure a lot of other people are turning 80 today in this big world of ours.

But I guess it's better than a thread that reads Ringo Starr is in the Bathroom or Ringo Starr is Dead.

So much negatively.     I find that odd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If Ringo had only known when he did this song !!!!!

"When I'm Sixty Four"

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty four?

You'll be older too
And if you say the word
I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?
When I'm sixty four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight
If it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine forevermore
When I'm sixty four?
Ho!

1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

What's the difference between an onion and an accordion?

Fewer people cry when you cut up an accordion.

Doesn't make sense to me. But if you say so. :) 

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Doesn't make sense to me. But if you say so. :) 

We have our differences. 😃

15 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So much negatively.     I find that odd.

A poster isn't allowed to make the occasional negative comment? You've made several pointed/negative comments directed towards Nipkow recently in the off-topics area. Some would find that odd, but yet allow you to rant/be negative when you feel it necessary. Just saying, jimmy.

We have our differences. 😃

I don't have differences with you. Though I think you've had some with me. But that would be on you probably.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I don't have differences with you. Though I think you've had some with me. But that would be on you probably.

Trust me on this, we're just two ships passing in the night.

• Haha 1

Trust me on this, we're just two ships passing in the night.

The cliches are humorous. Again, I don't have any issues with you. If you want to waste valuable time and energy fostering some great divide between us, be my guest. But I am not going to contribute to it. Moving on...

32 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

If Ringo had only known when he did this song !!!!!

"When I'm Sixty Four"

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
When I'm sixty four?

You'll be older too
And if you say the word
I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?
When I'm sixty four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight
If it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine forevermore
When I'm sixty four?
Ho!

Paul wrote when I'm 64.  It was one of the first songs written by McCartney, who wrote it when he was 16. .     Simple song and one I have learned since,,,,,,   my time to play this is just around the corner!

This is my favorite Beatles song that Ringo sings.   Written by Paul,  for Ringo.     Paul had to really help his friend when it came to the chorus;  do you NEED anybody,,,,,  hitting that NEED section,,, well one can tell how Paul helps Ringo carry that part of the song.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Although the "Billy Shears" intro was the abandoned concept-album idea that we were hearing a "concert" by SPLHCB, that the Beatles hoped would go on tour for them.

Ringo did write "Octopus's Garden", and it, um....does sound like one of his. 😐   (Albeit on the Abbey Road album, where they were all just doing their own solo messes anyway.)

I still can't understand how this never became one of Netflix's Beat Bugs episodes...

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Most guys, back in the "day" always felt that Ringo would have been the best Beatle to hang out with. He always seemed so affable and easy going.

And unlike TXFILMFAN, I thought CAVEMAN was a hoot!

Ringo's funny in Caveman for above-mentioned movie-star affability reasons, but as for the movie itself, I'll agree with the one critic who called it "Proof of the rampant cocaine problem in (early-80's) Hollywood."  

My Ringo moment occurred somewhere in the ‘90s. It was one morning in the lobby of the Pfister Hotel when band members staggered towards the lobby bar for coffee, juice etc. following the previous night’s annual Summerfest gig. After sometime Ringo appeared passing out envelopes stuffed $100 bills to each member quickly departing into the Milwaukee morn.

By the way, AXSTV has been airing Ringo interviews, concerts, etc. all day.

Peace-n-Love

• Like 2

For the record, here are my favorite solo singles by the other members of The Beatles:

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1