Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

Ringo Starr Is 80

I had a maybe Ringo moment. I happened to be in New York on the day of the Bangladesh concert. I was

passing by MSG and noticed a small crowd just milling around. Went over to check it out. Some folks

were complaining that the concert should be free. Power to the people, right on. They started to go

into the lobby or whatever ones wants to call it and started a little disturbance re this should be a 

free concert. Things started to get more loud and some people became more aggressive, but New York's 

finest were on the job and there would be no free concert that night. Later on people were running around,

trying to find the exit from MSG that the limos would take. We found it and I'm sure Ringo and George

and others were in them. Of course it was hard to see into them. But it was a fun night and a splendid

time was had by all.

On 7/7/2020 at 6:02 PM, Dargo said:

"It Don't Come Easy" was always my favorite post-Beatles Ringo recording, also. And so because it seemed I haven't heard it for some time, I just now I googled it on my laptop in order to hear it again.

And after I did, I discovered Ringo actually wrote it. And here I had always thought George Harrison had written it for him as it sounds so much like George's music style, but evidently sole writing credit went to Ringo, and although it was said George did collaborate with him some. 

(...and so here's to you Birthday Boy...Happy 80th, Ringo...may you have many more)

I always wondered about George's involvement with "It Don't Come Easy," too.  He's obviously the lead guitarist on the record, and as Dargo says, the song sounds like George's style.  I wonder if George declined songwriting credit, since Ringo has readily acknowledged in interviews that the two ex-Beatles collaborated on the song.

If you need evidence of Harrison's considerable involvement with the song, I'd draw your attention to George's own recording of it.  As you can hear, the backing track is mostly the exact same one used for Ringo's single, so even though George's version is an officially unreleased bootleg, it's pretty close to a finished recording.  The main difference is that George's version has the backing vocalists singing "Hare Krishna" at certain points, while Ringo's single mixes down those vocals (they're still barely audible) and adds a horn section that's not on the George version.  I wonder if George intended his vocal to be a guide for Ringo's performance on the version that was ultimately released.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 11:13 AM, TopBilled said:

Not sure if I care. Or if this is newsworthy. I am sure a lot of other people are turning 80 today in this big world of ours.

But I guess it's better than a thread that reads Ringo Starr is in the Bathroom or Ringo Starr is Dead.

You don't have to care, if you're not a fan of Ringo or the Beatles, why should you?

However,  quite often a thread is started here about an actor or director or someone else with some claim to fame, who I don't care about.  I just respect the fact that others DO care about that person, and leave the thread alone.  If you don't care, why bother posting in this thread at all?

• Like 4

On 7/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, BingFan said:

I agree that Ringo was the best actor in the Beatles.  The others are amusing in A Hard Day's Night (and the Beatles' other movies), but Ringo created more of a character in HDN than the others did.  ...

Thanks for sharing your memories about Ringo, Bing.

I realize that what I'm about to say is a bit nit-picking, but still, I would like to point out that while I agree with you that Ringo's role and performance in A Hard Day's Night is indeed fun to watch and quite memorable, I think it's more due to the screenplay, written by someone called Alun Owen, than to any particular acting talent on Ringo's part.  This is not to take away from Ringo's part in this great film ( I love Hard Day's Night ), but just to say that I think a lot of people believe it was somehow Ringo's idea to play the "left -out" Beatle who goes out "parading"  (upon the urging of the trouble-making lovable grandpa) and ends up with all those fun adventures, when in fact it was written into the script that he do so.  And a very good idea that was, at that.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I realize that what I'm about to say is a bit nit-picking, but still, I would like to point out that while I agree with you that Ringo's role and performance in A Hard Day's Night is indeed fun to watch and quite memorable, I think it's more due to the screenplay, written by someone called Alun Owen, than to any particular acting talent on Ringo's part.  This is not to take away from Ringo's part in this great film ( I love Hard Day's Night ), but just to say that I think a lot of people believe it was somehow Ringo's idea to play the "left -out" Beatle who goes out "parading"  (upon the urging of the trouble-making lovable grandpa) and ends up with all those fun adventures, when in fact it was written into the script that he do so.  And a very good idea that was, at that.

Owen was an "Angry young Liverpool" playwright at the time, and tried to capture a bit of the Liverpool-to-fame flavor in his own experiences of trying to keep up with the Beatles during a few hectic days of research.

I used to have the old Criterion/Voyager CD-Rom where you could follow the movie along with the corrected shooting script:  In the scene on the train car, when Paul says "Of course (Grandfather) can talk, he's a human being, isn't he?", Owen's line for Ringo was originally "Well, if he's your grandfather, who knows?  (All laugh)"  Watch how Ringo improves the line in the movie.  😄

• Like 1

Open up your heart, let's come together
Use a little love
And we will make it work out better
I don't ask for much, I only want your trust
And you know it don't come easy
And this love of mine keeps growing all the time
Peace, remember peace is how we make it
Here within your reach
If you're big enough to take it
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, Sepiatone said:

Most guys, back in the "day" always felt that Ringo would have been the best Beatle to hang out with. He always seemed so affable and easy going.

And unlike TXFILMFAN, I thought CAVEMAN was a hoot!    And as another aside oddity-----

Back in the '70's jazz drummer BUDDY RICH shocked the DOWNBEAT magazine readership when he declared that one of his favorite drummers was RINGO STARR!  :o Claimed he liked him better than BILLY COBHAM, the then wildly lauded jazz drummer.  He gave several good reasons for it, boiling down to, "Ringo gives the music all that it needs and is appropriate and doesn't feel the need to show off."  And went on..."That 'snap' he gives his snare is a unique feature to his style."    ...

Right, it's the general consensus among professional drummers  (from all genres) that Ringo was and is one of the best.   Flashy "show-offy" drum solos are not necessarily an indication of the drummer's talent.    Same with George; a great rock guitarist, one of the very best. But George never felt the need to take off on long excruciating guitar solos;  his playing always served the song, not the other way around.   (ie,  he did not use the song as an excuse to go into some prolonged solo that would have drawn more attention to his playing than to the song itself...)

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 12:38 PM, TopBilled said:

This is not just related to Ringo Starr of course...but I've always found it interesting that millions of people know details about Celebrity X's life, and that the Celebrity knows nothing about these other people. Like if he met the average fan, he wouldn't know one single thing about their lives, except that they worship and adore him. 

It's like we have the nobodies on one side, and there are a lot of nobodies...then the somebodies who have no understanding of the nobodies. Only that they can use the nobodies to make money and hold on to fame. It's a very unbalanced thing. The cult of Celebrity is hugely lopsided. 

But in the end, we're all people who walk on the same earth a certain number of years then leave it. Each life is of value, no one should be more important than any other if we are all serving each other and not ourselves.

Rant over. LOL

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:
Open up your heart, let's come together
Use a little love
And we will make it work out better
I don't ask for much, I only want your trust
And this love of mine keeps growing all the time
Peace, remember peace is how we make it
Here within your reach
If you're big enough to take it

Do you remember these two songs?

" Think of your fellow man

Give him a helping hand

Put a Little Love in Your Heart" &

" What the world needs now is love sweet love

It's the only thing that there's just too little of "

James-- The reason I mentioned these two songs that were hits for Jackie DeShannon is because she opened for the Beatles when I saw them on the " A Hard Day's Night tour in 1964.

Sometime you can Google that tour to see a picture of her with The Beatles.

BTW-- Ringo took

the spotlight to sing "Boys". :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Okay. If that's your philosophy. 

As I said in an earlier post, I do like the Beatles' music.  But there's a lot of music I like just as much if not better.

On another note, Madonna had her 50th number one song this year. More than any other musical artist. In this regard she's outpaced all the legends and she will probably turn out a few more hits before she's done. And she's "only" 61 at this point (62 next month). Is she great? Is she better than Ringo or the Beatles? It's all subjective. 

Will someone make a thread when Madonna turns 80? Will I be around to click "like" on it or go off on a rant that it's no big deal...? Check back in 18 years.

On 7/7/2020 at 6:02 PM, Dargo said:

"It Don't Come Easy" was always my favorite post-Beatles Ringo recording, also. And so because it seemed I haven't heard it for some time, I just now I googled it on my laptop in order to hear it again.

And after I did, I discovered Ringo actually wrote it. And here I had always thought George Harrison had written it for him as it sounds so much like George's music style, but evidently sole writing credit went to Ringo, and although it was said George did collaborate with him some. 

(...and so here's to you Birthday Boy...Happy 80th, Ringo...may you have many more)

Well, my favourite Ringo solo song is Photograph, which Ringo co-wrote with George.  It's a beautiful song, a lovely melody with moving lyrics.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Jan, you are entertaining in your way too. But do you really want to go round and round, derailing this particular thread. Examine your own hypocrisies and I will examine my own "righteous indignation" and in the meanwhile maybe we can call a truce. But it takes some maturity to do that, which I am sure you are intelligent enough to realize.

I'm hardly "derailing" it...I'm one of the posters here actually talking about Ringo.

As for maturity, I've always closely identified with five-year-olds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Okay. If that's your philosophy. 

As I said in an earlier post, I do like the Beatles' music.  But there's a lot of music I like just as much if not better.

On another note, Madonna had her 50th number one song this year. More than any other musical artist. In this regard she's outpaced all the legends and she will probably turn out a few more hits before she's done. And she's "only" 61 at this point (62 next month). Is she great? Is she better than Ringo or the Beatles? It's all subjective. 

Will someone make a thread when Madonna turns 80? Will I be around to click "like" on it or go off on a rant that it's no big deal...? Check back in 18 years.

I like Madonna, she's a legend and has contributed so much to pop music and culture.

But is she "better" than the Beatles?  Of course not. Not even close.  Although it's one of those apples and oranges situations  (of course the Beatles would be the Apples.)

• Like 1

Ringo kills a prehistoric bug. I can't see the other Beatles doing that, except maybe pre-Yoko John.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'm hardly "derailing" it...I'm one of the posters here actually talking about Ringo.

As for maturity, I've always closely identified with five-year-olds.

Miss W, you certainly are NOT derailing the thread. So far there have been 65 posts on 3 pages PRAISING Ringo and wishing him a Happy Birthday and liking that this thread was started. With 1 execption. that's who is "derailing" or at least trying to derail the thread, and it is not you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, my favourite Ringo solo song is Photograph, which Ringo co-wrote with George.  It's a beautiful song, a lovely melody with moving lyrics.

Yeah, it's okay I guess, but "It Don't Come Easy" is still better. ;)

Sorry, but I've just always thought some of Photograph's lyrics were a little clunky, like:

Now you're expecting me
To live without you
But that's not something
That I'm looking forward to

(...but hey, to each his or her own, right MissW?!)

On 7/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Paul wrote when I'm 64.  It was one of the first songs written by McCartney, who wrote it when he was 16. .     Simple song and one I have learned since,,,,,,   my time to play this is just around the corner!

Yeah, well, I sang it a lot four years ago.

(...and so you do the math) ;)

Who would have thought a topic on Ringo could get heated? Ringo is royalty and so is Paul. While they are still with us lets cherish them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, it's okay I guess, but "It Don't Come Easy" is still better. ;)

Sorry, but I've just always thought some of Photograph's lyrics were a little clunky, like:

Now you're expecting me
To live without you
But that's not something
That I'm looking forward to

(...but hey, to each his or her own, right MissW?!)

Ok, but for me, music trumps lyrics in popular songs every time.  (Look at some of the sublime melodies Brian Wilson wrote- yet with silly lyrics about cars and girls -- not that there's anything wrong with celebrating cars and girls.  But take a song like "Don't Worry, Baby":  it's such a beautiful melody, such a soaring chorus, such a pretty little solo in the middle of it, yet it's all about some guy who's worried he'll lose some drag race.  Doesn't matter, the music is so good it makes the song good, vacuous lyrics notwithstanding.)

So anyway, the melody for "Photograph" is , what can I say?  -- beautiful. The melody for "It Don't Come Easy" is catchy, but not in the same league as "Photograph". So I don't care which song has better lyrics, it's all about the music.  There ya go.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok, but for me, music trumps lyrics in popular songs every time.  (Look at some of the sublime melodies Brian Wilson wrote- yet with silly lyrics about cars and girls -- not that there's anything wrong with celebrating cars and girls.  But take a song like "Don't Worry, Baby":  it's such a beautiful melody, such a soaring chorus, such a pretty little solo in the middle of it, yet it's all about some guy who's worried he'll lose some drag race.  Doesn't matter, the music is so good it makes the song good, vacuous lyrics notwithstanding.)

So anyway, the melody for "Photograph" is , what can I say?  -- beautiful. The melody for "It Don't Come Easy" is catchy, but not in the same league as "Photograph". So I don't care which song has better lyrics, it's all about the music.  There ya go.

Yeah, I know what you're sayin' here, MissW. But, I've also always preferred the melodic opening guitar strains to "It Don't Come Easy" than I have the piano opening to "Photograph".

And yes again, I know what you mean about Brian Wilson's musical ear too. In fact, just a couple years ago and because I've always loved it so much, I changed my cellphone's ringtone to the opening prelude of his song "California Girls"...

One of the most melodic introductions to any song ever, I've always thought. But yes again, after that opening prelude ends and it goes into that rhythmic organ beat and then when the lyrics begin being sung, it's just not as interesting a song to me, and even though it's still a very good song overall.

(...and from what I've heard, Brian Wilson's favorite of any of the songs he's ever written)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I know what you're sayin' here, MissW. But, I've also always preferred the melodic opening guitar strains to "It Don't Come Easy" than I have the piano opening to "Photograph".

And yes again, I know what you mean about Brian Wilson's musical ear too. In fact, just a couple years ago and because I've always loved it so much, I changed my cellphone's ringtone to the opening prelude of his song "California Girls"...

One of the most melodic introductions to any song ever, I've always thought. But yes again, after that opening prelude ends and it goes into that rhythmic organ beat and then when the lyrics begin being sung, it's just not as interesting a song to me, and even though it's still a very good song overall.

(...and from what I've heard, Brian Wilson's favorite of any of the songs he's ever written)

Dargo, my ears are burning as I'm sitting here looking at my coffee table with my cover of "Summer Days and Summer Nights".

You know my boyfriend had a birthday on June 20th, and we didn't even get a thread!

But, Brian Wilson is only at 78 so I guess we'll have to wait two more years.😎

One evening, I just sat down and I listened to all of the backing instrumental tracks that Brian put down for *"California Girls". I lost track some place around 30, but I kept on saying with each one --that's the one-- that's the one.

But Brian just kept on asking the guys to do another and another. He was a perfectionist.

And it's not too late for me to wish him a happy birthday too!

BTW-- You can go on YouTube and see the 4th of July concert celebration with the Beach Boys and Ringo Starr.

*( I don't want to get sued, so I want everyone to know that Mike Love wrote the lyrics to "California Girls"-- however Brian Wilson of course came up with the concept and he told Mike what the chorus would be-- Now I'm legally safe.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

" Maybe I'm Amazed" yeah, but I certainly was not aware of this 1970 music.

It definitely belongs in my"Ebony and Ivory" collection. :rolleyes: