Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

Ringo Starr Is 80

17 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

" Maybe I'm Amazed" yeah, but I certainly was not aware of this 1970 music.

It definitely belongs in my"Ebony and Ivory" collection. :rolleyes:

I would guess it's a relatively little known song, though it is on some of his greatest hits albums.

The subject matter is certainly topical and the song is nice enough.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I would guess it's a relatively little known song, though it is on some of his greatest hits albums.

The subject matter is certainly topical and the song is nice enough.

It shouldn't be obscure because it was a bone of contention during the final days of The Beatles. McCartney had recorded and played all the instruments on the song, which was a track on the solo album "McCartney." But the LP's April 17, 1970 release clashed with Apple Records' plans to release "Let It Be" -- the last album distributed while The Beatles were still an official group.

McCartney refused to budge and the "Maybe I'm Amazed" video aired on British television and on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in North America. Although the release of the "Let It Be" LP was pushed back to early May, the title song dropped in March. It was the penultimate No. 1 Billboard pop chart hit for The Beatles during its heyday ("The Long and Winding Road" was the last one). 

"Maybe I'm Amazed" reached the No. 10 spot on Billboard's chart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

It shouldn't be obscure because it was a bone of contention during the final days of The Beatles. McCartney had recorded and played all the instruments on the song, which was a track on the solo album "McCartney." But the LP's April 17, 1970 release clashed with Apple Records' plans to release "Let It Be" -- the last album distributed while The Beatles were still an official group.

McCartney refused to budge and the "Maybe I'm Amazed" video aired on British television and on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in North America. Although the release of the "Let It Be" LP was pushed back to early May, the title song dropped in March. It was the penultimate No. 1 Billboard pop chart hit for The Beatles during its heyday ("The Long and Winding Road" was the last one). 

"Maybe I'm Amazed" reached the No. 10 spot on Billboard's chart.

I don't think Vautrin was talking about Maybe I'm Amazed when he posted" "

"I would guess it's a relatively little known song, though it is on some of his greatest hits albums.".

Unclear antecedents can sometimes lead to confusion! I think the song being discussed was not "Maybe I'm Amazed" but "Early 1970". I was only aware of it because the brother of a friend of mine had a Ringo greatest hits album that I borrowed many years ago.

• Thanks 1

I love The Beatles.  I am trying to get all of their albums on vinyl.  I no longer buy CDs.  If I want music for my car, I'll use my Amazon Music streaming.  If I want "new" music to play at the house, I'm only buying vinyl. 

So far, I have: Let it Be, Abbey Road, The White Album, and Revolver. 

I think Ringo would be really fun to meet.  He always seems like he's having such a great time and he seems to have such a great attitude.

One of the best Ringo performances I've seen is also one of the saddest.  Ringo performs "Photograph" at George Harrison's tribute memorial concert.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't think Vautrin was talking about Maybe I'm Amazed when he posted" "

"I would guess it's a relatively little known song, though it is on some of his greatest hits albums.".

Oops! As Weekend Update contributor Emily Litella used to say: 

See the source image

• Haha 1

I'll never forget the word she mistook for presidential ELECTIONS! Never mind ...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'll never forget the word she mistook for presidential ELECTIONS! Never mind ...

The one I remember was her commentary about violins on television.

• Haha 1

If you go back to the original post and reply it should be pretty clear that I was talking about

Early 1970 and not Maybe I'm Amazed, though I can see there might have been some confusion.

I guess The Long and Winding Road is a fitting title for the Beatles final number one single, but I

like Let It Be much better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

If you go back to the original post and reply it should be pretty clear that I was talking about

Early 1970 and not Maybe I'm Amazed, though I can see there might have been some confusion.

I guess The Long and Winding Road is a fitting title for the Beatles final number one single, but I

like Let It Be much better.

"The Long and Winding Road" has some of McCartney's finest lyrics:

Many times I've been alone
And many times I've cried
Anyway you'll never know
The many ways I've tried

I suppose they're okay, especially if one is in a wistful mood. The Long and

Winding Road is good enough, but it's never been one of my favorite Beatles' songs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I suppose they're okay, especially if one is in a wistful mood. The Long and

Winding Road is good enough, but it's never been one of my favorite Beatles' songs.

The version from the "Let It Be" LP wasn't a favorite of McCartney's, either. He disliked Allen Klein, who had been brought in -- against his wishes -- as the manager of The Beatles. He also hated producer Phil Spector's addition of horns and strings on the final versions of his songs.

McCartney achieved a measure of revenge in 2003 with "Let It Be Naked," a stripped-down version of the original album.

I have the Naked CD, though I haven't listened to it in a while. McCartney's unadorned version does

sound better than Spector's bells and whistles one, though Spector added so much that the basic

version sounds a bit like a demo. 

On 7/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Ringo Starr is 80

He doesn't look a day over 68.

Seriously, though - he's looked pretty nearly the same for about 30 years now. I don't know what his secret is, but of all the Beatles he seems to be the one who aged best.

39 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

Seriously, though - he's looked pretty nearly the same for about 30 years now. I don't know what his secret is, but of all the Beatles he seems to be the one who aged best.

Peace and Love

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

What are your favorites of his music or movies?

I think I'd have to choose 1969's The Magic Christian as my favorite Ringo Starr (not Beatles) movie. I like 1980's Caveman a lot too.

As to  music, the favorite after Photograph (let's face it, that collaboration with George Harrison was the pinnacle of Ringo's output), I kinda like this one.

38 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

I think I'd have to choose 1969's The Magic Christian as my favorite Ringo Starr (not Beatles) movie. I like 1980's Caveman a lot too.

Tough to pick a non-Beatles movie--Magic Christian or "The Point" doesn't age well out of the 60's, Caveman doesn't age well out of the early 80's, I haven't seen Candy or Sextette, and almost nobody came out of "Give My Regards to Broad Street" 100% clean.

Looking over IMDb, I'd have to pick his being a good sport as the first Mister Conductor (and narrator of the Thomas the Tank Engine cartoons) on Shining Time Station:

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Tough to pick a non-Beatles movie--Magic Christian or "The Point" doesn't age well out of the 60's, Caveman doesn't age well out of the early 80's, I haven't seen Candy

I have no problem at all putting myself back in time to enjoy 60's, 70's and 80's movies. In fact, I watched Caveman a couple of months back and enjoyed it again very much.

I also watched Candy fairly recently. Stupid movie, but Ringo and John Astin are the best things in it (aside from Ewa Aulin, that is).

On 7/10/2020 at 11:26 PM, SadPanda said:

He is a vegan and he works out. Paul looks pretty good too. 

On 7/8/2020 at 8:46 PM, TopBilled said:

Okay. If that's your philosophy. 

As I said in an earlier post, I do like the Beatles' music.  But there's a lot of music I like just as much if not better.

On another note, Madonna had her 50th number one song this year. More than any other musical artist. In this regard she's outpaced all the legends and she will probably turn out a few more hits before she's done. And she's "only" 61 at this point (62 next month). Is she great? Is she better than Ringo or the Beatles? It's all subjective. 

Will someone make a thread when Madonna turns 80? Will I be around to click "like" on it or go off on a rant that it's no big deal...? Check back in 18 years.

We were discussing the merits of Starr's drumming here and not any record sales rcords.  As you should know, record sales and movie ticket sales are never indicatitve of either the movie's or music's quality.  And as you should also know, the generation which embraced Madonna's music are mostly the children of the "boomers" who went wild over The Beatles.  And those Madonna fans don't value their youth as much as the boomers have trouble denying their aging which makes Ringo turning 80 more of a big deal than when Madonna does. 

"Boomers" are as glad that Ringo, a '60's rock idol, made it to 80 when so many contemporaries( including two of his band mates) died so young but the feel an equal amount of dismay that it proved they themselves are getting so old now it makes them cringe.

Sepiatone