Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Walmart to stop giving money as change?

Maybe it's just my local neighborhood Marketplace Walmart?

I ran in to buy some fruit this morning. I always pay with a card and have done so for a while. I stopped handling paper currency and coins at least five years ago because I was a germaphobe back then.

Anyway, the cashier was saying that they are now issuing credits instead of bills and coins when they owe the customer change. Apparently this is because people are afraid of contracting the virus by touching money other people have touched.

I guess the credits ensure the customer will return to the store for more purchases.

Is this happening anywhere else?

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Thought Wal Mart employees were wearing gloves so how can the virus be contracted though the handing of money.

Plain silliness.

I don't think the employees were worried, it was customers who did not want to touch money that other customers had touched. Not all of them wear gloves.

I haven't heard anything about our Walmart not taking money. They wear masks, but not gloves. I have to wear a mask where I work and that is miserable enough without having to throw gloves on top of it.

There is a change shortage where I live. The banks are running out of change money, quarters and pennies in particular, and employees are having to turn in their own change to the store. Pretty soon we'll only have dimes and nickles. We're having to practically beg customers for change if they have it.

3 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I haven't heard anything about our Walmart not taking money. They wear masks, but not gloves. I have to wear a mask where I work and that is miserable enough without having to throw gloves on top of it.

There is a change shortage where I live. The banks are running out of change money, quarters and pennies in particular, and employees are having to turn in their own change to the store. Pretty soon we'll only have dimes and nickles. We're having to practically beg customers for change if they have it.

Seems there may be a repeat of this slogan but for different reasons...

BrotherSpareDime.jpg

;)

15 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

So why are they running out of change? What's really going on here?

The employees at my neighborhood Walmart Marketplace do wear gloves along with the masks. It's a requirement.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

So why are they running out of change? What's really going on here?

The employees at my neighborhood Walmart Marketplace do wear gloves along with the masks. It's a requirement.

I heard it has something to do with the U.S. Mint. They've stopped production or something, So now banks are running out. Just today our store ran out of quarters. Hope we have enough dimes to get us through.

2 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I heard it has something to do with the U.S. Mint. They've stopped production or something, So now banks are running out. Just today our store ran out of quarters. Hope we have enough dimes to get us through.

I hadn't heard about this.  Weird.

From NPR:

"Banks around the U.S. are running low on nickels, dimes, quarters and even pennies. And the Federal Reserve, which supplies banks, has been forced to ration scarce supplies."

"During the lockdown, many bank lobbies where people can recycle coins were off limits. And coin-sorting kiosks in retail stores saw reduced traffic. With many businesses closed, unused coins piled up in darkened cash drawers, in pants pockets and on nightstands, even as banks went begging....The flow of coins through the economy ... kind of stopped,"

On 7/9/2020 at 2:21 PM, Rudy's Girl said:

Yes I figured something "bigger" was going on.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:38 PM, Peebs said:

I hadn't heard about this.  Weird.

From NPR:

"Banks around the U.S. are running low on nickels, dimes, quarters and even pennies. And the Federal Reserve, which supplies banks, has been forced to ration scarce supplies."

"During the lockdown, many bank lobbies where people can recycle coins were off limits. And coin-sorting kiosks in retail stores saw reduced traffic. With many businesses closed, unused coins piled up in darkened cash drawers, in pants pockets and on nightstands, even as banks went begging....The flow of coins through the economy ... kind of stopped,"

A manager at the Walmart told me when I went back to the store, that all the self-checkout kiosks are now card-only. She said it's a corporate decision. No more coins.

• Sad 1

My local Family Dollar had a notice stating Because of the coin shortages, please have exact change.

Where in the hell did all the coins went to? 

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

My local Family Dollar had a notice stating Because of the coin shortages, please have exact change.

Where in the hell did all the coins went to? 

You'll have to tell us if they change it to card-only and do away with using coins.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

You'll have to tell us if they change it to card-only and do away with using coins.

I don't know, just only seen the notice today.

21 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I don't know, just only seen the notice today.

Okay. It'll be interesting to see what happens...