Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Legally prevented from airing on TCM

My wish list. Please litigation gods, let these five films become available on home video and allowed to air on TCM:

1. LETTY LYNTON (1932)...Joan Crawford's very best precode.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.13.19 AM

2. CHRISTOPHER BEAN (1933)...Marie Dressler's final film.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.13.52 AM.jpeg

3. WHITE BANNERS (1938)...a heartwarming story with a fine cast. Fay Bainter was nominated as Best Actress.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.18.02 AM

4. ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938)...classic Cagney and classic O'Brien.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.20.22 AM.png

5. PORGY AND BESS (1959)...too bad it can't be shown when Dorothy Dandridge is Star of the Month.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.18.52 AM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, midnight08 said:

Also  " Escapade"  (1935) with William Powell and Luise Rainer in her first American film.  This MGM  film is in legal limbo too.

i think I read where there is only one print of that remaining. It was in the possession of Miss Rainer herself for many years.

42 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

i think I read where there is only one print of that remaining. It was in the possession of Miss Rainer herself for many years.

Interesting.

In another thread, you mentioned these films being unavailable for legal reasons:

THE BLUE VEIL (1951)
ASK ANY GIRL (1959)
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT? (1968)

And I mentioned REMAINS TO BE SEEN (1953).

Letty Lynton here is from imdb  'Unofficially based on Edward Sheldon and Margaret Ayer Barnes play Dishonored Lady to such a great extent that a Federal court ruled on 17th January 1936 that the film could not be seen again unless Sheldon and Barnes are given credit,or until the copyright of the play runs out in 2050! More on wiki  .I have a copy,not pristine,a good movie .My favorite George Hurrell photos of Joan Crawford are from the Letty sessions,i have a very large of this one  in a frame museum quality matted etc

crawford.png

• Like 4

The Fixer (1966).  No one seems to know who owns the rights.  Made by MGM - London, but they don't own the rights.

The original Swiss Family Robinson (1940) with Freddie Bartholomew.  When Disney made its remake, they bought the rights to the 1940 version to suppress it.

Does anyone know if there are legal reasons why Freud (1962) with Montgomery Clift is not available anywhere?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, karlofffan said:

Does anyone know if there are legal reasons why Freud (1962) with Montgomery Clift is not available anywhere?

From Wiki  Freud: The Secret Passion was eventually released in the UK by Transition Digital Media in a 1.78:1 letter-boxed, non-anamorphic 4:3 format, on a Region 2 DVD edition on April 23, 2012,movie was shown on tv but several years ago.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, nakano said:

Letty Lynton here is from imdb  'Unofficially based on Edward Sheldon and Margaret Ayer Barnes play Dishonored Lady to such a great extent that a Federal court ruled on 17th January 1936 that the film could not be seen again unless Sheldon and Barnes are given credit,or until the copyright of the play runs out in 2050! More on wiki  .I have a copy,not pristine,a good movie .My favorite George Hurrell photos of Joan Crawford are from the Letty sessions,i have a very large of this one  in a frame museum quality matted etc

crawford.png

https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13752&hilit=letty+lynton

This thread on another forum summarizes the legal injunction hindering LL. Warner Archive reports having reached out to the relevant rightsholders in hopes of coming to a deal, but apparently they're not cooperating.

In the case of Porgy and Bess, supposedly the surviving elements would require extensive and expensive restoration work. (And apparently the concerned parties can't come to a necessary agreement.)

Escapade is a remake of the 1934 Austrian film Maskerade; rights issues are probably hindering it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I agree that ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES can be obtained on DVD, issued from Warners. I own a copy and it was a worthwhile investment. Especially since the audio commentary is so great. Warners seems to have rights to sell it on home video but the company does not have broadcast rights. A pity, since it would be nice for TCM to be able to show it once in a while.

As for PORGY AND BESS, that one is not legally availably anywhere. So the eBay link you posted is for a person/business that is selling an illegal bootleg copy of it. And probably it is in poor quality, since it's never been restored for home video or cable TV use.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13752&hilit=letty+lynton

This thread on another forum summarizes the legal injunction hindering LL. Warner Archive reports having reached out to the relevant rightsholders in hopes of coming to a deal, but apparently they're not cooperating.

In the case of Porgy and Bess, supposedly the surviving elements would require extensive and expensive restoration work. (And apparently the concerned parties can't come to a necessary agreement.)

Escapade is a remake of the 1934 Austrian film Maskerade; rights issues are probably hindering it.

I found an uploaded copy of PORGY AND BESS online yesterday, on a website hosted by someone in a foreign country. Probably the rights holders cannot do anything about foreign uploads. It's just under two hours and is not the same length as what had been released in 1959 by Goldwyn (138 minutes). Meaning at least 20 minutes have been cut, but I think this is the only version available. The audio is fine but the picture quality is less than desirable.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I found an uploaded copy of PORGY AND BESS online yesterday, on a website hosted by someone in a foreign country. Probably the rights holders cannot do anything about foreign uploads. It's just under two hours and is not the same length as what had been released in 1959 by Goldwyn (138 minutes). Meaning at least 20 minutes have been cut, but I think this is the only version available. The audio is fine but the picture quality is less than desirable.

A foreign webhost of my knowledge recently took down certain titles in response to complaints by the copyright cops (including a copy of Letty Lynton). These sites probably turn a blind eye unless someone makes a formal complaint.

Just now, Polly of the Precodes said:

A foreign webhost of my knowledge recently took down certain titles in response to complaints by the copyright cops (including a copy of Letty Lynton). These sites probably turn a blind eye unless someone makes a formal complaint.

Are you talking about the rarefilmm guy? I notice his page was shut down recently.

Most rights holders only know English. They don't know Chinese, they don't know Russian, and they don't know Farsi. So they have no idea if their stuff is being posted online by foreign users hosted on international sites because the films are not labeled in English.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, karlofffan said:

The original Swiss Family Robinson (1940) with Freddie Bartholomew.  When Disney made its remake, they bought the rights to the 1940 version to suppress it.

And later put it on Disney+ streaming for all (well, subscribers, anyway) to see:   https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/swiss-family-robinson-1940/3ea1UFZCVdki

45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I agree that ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES can be obtained on DVD, issued from Warners. I own a copy and it was a worthwhile investment. Especially since the audio commentary is so great. Warners seems to have rights to sell it on home video but the company does not have broadcast rights. A pity, since it would be nice for TCM to be able to show it once in a while.

I've seen Warner's DVD, and it's good, from the days when they still did classic "Night at the Movies" 30's fodder and precode.  

It hasn't been banished to the Archive yet, although the Archive does have Ann Sheridan's Dead End Kids spinoff Angels Wash Their Faces (1939)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

My wish list. Please litigation gods, let these five films become available on home video and allowed to air on TCM:

3. WHITE BANNERS (1938)...a heartwarming story with a fine cast. Fay Bainter was nominated as Best Actress.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.18.02 AM

4. ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938)...classic Cagney and classic O'Brien.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.20.22 AM.png

Both Angels with Dirty Faces and White Banners have definitely aired on TCM. Not sure how long ago.

I have several recorded intros for "Angels". It most likely last aired before 2013 as that's when I started dating the intros.  Prior to that I didn't. I don't have any intros for White Banners but I do have a recording of it.

Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Fan Programmer 06 Intro
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Fan Programmer 06 Wrap-Up
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Pantoliano Intro
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Pantoliano Wrap-Up
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Bogart - SOM
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Bogart as Gangster
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Cagney
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Death Row
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Pool Halls
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Bogart - SOM
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Bogart as Gangster
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Cagney
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Death Row
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Pool Halls

"Angels" is available on WB DVD. It can be found on eBay for sure.

White Banners is unavailable at this time.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Both Angels with Dirty Faces and White Banners have definitely aired on TCM. Not sure how long ago.

I have several recorded intros for "Angels". It most likely last aired before 2013 as that's when I started dating the intros.  Prior to that I didn't. I don't have any intros for White Banners but I do have a recording of it.

Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Fan Programmer 06 Intro
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Fan Programmer 06 Wrap-Up
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Pantoliano Intro
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne - Pantoliano Wrap-Up
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Bogart - SOM
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Bogart as Gangster
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Cagney
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Death Row
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Intro - Pool Halls
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Bogart - SOM
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Bogart as Gangster
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Cagney
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Death Row
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) - Osborne Wrap-Up - Pool Halls

"Angels" is available on WB DVD. It can be found on eBay for sure.

White Banners is unavailable at this time.

Thanks Glenn. As always you're a wealth of information. I like how you have labeled these!

On a related note, I notice someone occasionally uploads old TCM intros on YouTube, ones featuring Robert and some featuring Ben. But you probably have a lot more.

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

On a related note, I notice someone occasionally uploads old TCM intros on YouTube, ones featuring Robert and some featuring Ben. But you probably have a lot more.

I have very few intros prior to 2003. That was still the VHS era for me. I didn't record a lot of movies then. So if I happen to have one or two it was from an old VHS tape. In 2003 I bought a SONY Vaio desktop computer that could record from cable.  Recording movies and intros was a breeze!

At first I started collecting intros for movies I liked and ones I thought were important. Wish I had recorded more of the early Essentials for example. Eventually around 2010 I started to record ALL the intros! They were recorded more for posterity.  Quality is good not perfect.  I have all of the Cartoon Alley intros and wrap-ups from this era.

With the advent of MP4 the recorded quality is now much better. I've missed a few here and there over the last decade. Not by choice though. Prime example, for what ever reason. I missed Eddie Muller's first intro for Noir Alley, THE MALTESE FALCON. I do have the wrap-up.

So, yeah, thousands. It's an unforgiving beast of a hobby and at least once a month I ask myself, "To what end?"

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

3. WHITE BANNERS (1938

Has TCM shown that in the past?  With that cast, it looks like the type of movie I'd look at!  I am so glad I grew up looking at ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES. 

12 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I have very few intros prior to 2003. That was still the VHS era for me. I didn't record a lot of movies then. So if I happen to have one or two it was from an old VHS tape. In 2003 I bought a SONY Vaio desktop computer that could record from cable.  Recording movies and intros was a breeze!

At first I started collecting intros for movies I liked and ones I thought were important. Wish I had recorded more of the early Essentials for example. Eventually around 2010 I started to record ALL the intros! They were recorded more for posterity.  Quality is good not perfect.  I have all of the Cartoon Alley intros and wrap-ups from this era.

With the advent of MP4 the recorded quality is now much better. I've missed a few here and there over the last decade. Not by choice though. Prime example, for what ever reason. I missed Eddie Muller's first intro for Noir Alley, THE MALTESE FALCON. I do have the wrap-up.

So, yeah, thousands. It's an unforgiving beast of a hobby and at least once a month I ask myself, "To what end?"

Well maybe you will start your own online archive making these available for educational purposes..?

4 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Has TCM shown that in the past?   

According to MovieCollector's database, WHITE BANNERS has aired 17 times on TCM. The most recent airing was on January 2007. So it's been over thirteen years since it's been seen on the channel. It is not on Warner home video.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I have several recorded intros for "Angels". It most likely last aired before 2013

I haven't been on MovieCollectorOH's database for a few weeks now, but it's seriously been something like 10 years now since Angels with Dirty Faces has aired on TCM. It was very briefly on the schedule when TCM within the last few years devoted a month to Michael Curtiz movies but yanked well before we actually got to that month.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Well maybe you will start your own online archive making these available for educational purposes..?

It's my hope that I will do that very thing.  I also have hundreds of sit-com pilots I recorded on VHS from about 1985 to 1999 sitting in boxes waiting to be transferred. Unfortunately the quality of those recordings vary greatly as it was just for archival purposes and recorded at SLP speed, with and without cable reception!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Has TCM shown that in the past?  With that cast, it looks like the type of movie I'd look at!

I am a big fan of Claude Rains. As I recall it's an enjoyable picture and Fay Bainter deserved her nomination. I haven't seen it in years myself. I should watch it again sometime this weekend.

• Like 2