Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Legally prevented from airing on TCM

Some other titles that haven't been shown on TCM for quite a few years are:

WAKE ISLAND (1942)

THE COURT-MARTIAL OF BILLY MITCHELL (1955)

STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET (1960) -- In the wake of Kirk Douglas' recent passing, I thought this movie might somehow turn up, but no luck.

WILD IS THE WIND (1957) -- I thought I saw this title listed on the schedule about a year or so ago, but it quickly vanished. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I AM THE LAW (1938) -- One of Edward G. Robinson's best. Where has this movie gone?

There are a few British films that haven't been seen in a long time, such as MY BROTHER'S KEEPER, PRELUDE TO FAME, and THE EDGE OF THE WORLD.

11 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

Some other titles that haven't been shown on TCM for quite a few years are:

WAKE ISLAND (1942)

THE COURT-MARTIAL OF BILLY MITCHELL (1955)

STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET (1960) -- In the wake of Kirk Douglas' recent passing, I thought this movie might somehow turn up, but no luck.

WILD IS THE WIND (1957) -- I thought I saw this title listed on the schedule about a year or so ago, but it quickly vanished. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I AM THE LAW (1938) -- One of Edward G. Robinson's best. Where has this movie gone?

I don't think the absence of these on the schedule is due to rights issues. They are just off the programmers' radar. WAKE ISLAND is a Paramount film that Universal has issued on DVD. It would certainly fit in with the various war film themes TCM does.

THE COURT-MARTIAL OF BILLY MITCHELL is an independent production released through Warner Brothers and it has the WB logo on it. Not long ago a nice looking print was uploaded on YouTube and might still be there. It would be good for TCM to air during a Gary Cooper retrospective. Or if they did a night of Rod Steiger films.

STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET is a Columbia picture that was made available on home video. TCM airs it occasionally but it's been awhile.

WILD IS THE WIND is a Paramount film directed by George Cukor, starring Anna Magnani and Anthony Quinn. It was available for streaming on Netflix and then on Amazon Prime but seems to have disappeared lately. I'm surprised TCM doesn't lease it for broadcast since it would fit so many themes/retrospectives. 

No idea about I AM THE LAW, which is a Columbia picture. It last aired on TCM in 2011.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for the Solid Gold Cadillac (they used to show it)

I've seen The Constant Nymph on TCM

One of my favorite pirate films is High Wind in Jamaica (also read the book).

I have no idea of legal issues regarding showing films and TV shows.

Does anyone know why the two William Haines MGM talkies ("A Tailor Made Man" and "New Adventures Of Get Rich Quick Wallingford" are never shown on TCM? Are they entangled in some legal disputes?

TCM frequently aired "Angels with Dirty Faces" until 2010. At that point they lost the rights. I have the DVD from the old Warner Gangsters series and I think it even has a commentary track.

Other films you can't see anywhere = Come Fill the Cup (1951) and "Ceiling Zero" (1936), both Cagney pictures also made by Warner Bros. I have a copy of Ceiling Zero that has a TCM watermark on it, so maybe they showed it one time and never again. 

Any version of "Trial of Mary Dugan" (1929) or  1941 versions, I think because of rights issues with the authors.

"The Perfect Specimen" (1937) is a Flynn film produced by Warner Bros. so I have no idea why it can't be shown. 

"It's a Wise Child" (1931) - ". So racy it was never allowed on TV and omitted from the MGM TV library in the 50's. Warner Bros. now owns the film, which has NEVER been aired on TV." I have no idea if that quote is correct or not.  Maybe the elements are poor and this is not a legal issue? 

I would have sworn I posted this yesterday, but i don't see it anywhere, so forgive me if I am repeating myself. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

No idea about I AM THE LAW, which is a Columbia picture. It last aired on TCM in 2011.

It's on youtube right now, and it was part of the never publicized Sony Choice DVD-R collection, but it is now OOP.

• Thanks 1
On 7/8/2020 at 7:42 PM, karlofffan said:

The Fixer (1966).  No one seems to know who owns the rights.  Made by MGM - London, but they don't own the rights.

The original Swiss Family Robinson (1940) with Freddie Bartholomew.  When Disney made its remake, they bought the rights to the 1940 version to suppress it.

Does anyone know if there are legal reasons why Freud (1962) with Montgomery Clift is not available anywhere?

The 1940 version of Swiss Family Robinson is available to watch on Disney +, along with the remake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did a quick query on MCOH's database to show any movie that has not played on TCM for 10 years but was played 10 or more times before that. 

It turns out that there are 56 feature movies that meet that criteria (ie excluding things like "Private Screenings", TV specials, etc). 

Since they were once played a bunch but then not at all it could mean a rights issue developed (or the owner decided to pull in the rights to show on their own outlets).  

A few from that list that I found interesting:

1.  The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)  - Was shown 15 times, the last time in 2009-   could be a rights issue with the Mitchner Estate.

2.   The Bad News Bears (1976)-   Shown 17 times, the last time in 2010-  Paramount Release.  

3.  Dark Command (1940)-  Shown 10 times, last time 2007.  Republic Release-  I think its the only film to have John Wayne and Roy Rogers in it. 

4.  Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)-  Shown 17 times, last time in 2006.  Its directed by Carl Reiner so it might show up soon.

5.  El Dorado (1967)-  Shown 10 times, last time in 2010.  Paramount Release. 

6.  Fahrenheit 451 (1966) - Shown 12 times, last time in 2010.

7.  Hondo (1953)-  Shown 16 times, last time in 2008. 

8.  Paint Your Wagon (1969)-  Shown 21 times, last time in 2010.

9.  Teacher's Pet (1958) - Shown 16 times, last time in 2009.  

10.  Western Union (1941)-  Shown 11 times, last time in 2009. 

Also, there are four Woody Allen movies on the list 

1.  Play It Again, Sam (1972)-  Shown 19 times, last time in 2008.

2.  Stardust Memories (1980)-  Shown 11 times, last time in 2008.

3.  Take the Money and Run (1969)-  Shown 11 times, last time in 2009.

4.  What's Up, Tiger Lily? (1966)-  Shown 13 times, last time in 2010. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, CallMeTim said:

I did a quick query on MCOH's database to show any movie that has not played on TCM for 10 years but was played 10 or more times before that. 

It turns out that there are 56 feature movies that meet that criteria (ie excluding things like "Private Screenings", TV specials, etc). 

Since they were once played a bunch but then not at all it could mean a rights issue developed (or the owner decided to pull in the rights to show on their own outlets).  

A few from that list that I found interesting:

1.  The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)  - Was shown 15 times, the last time in 2009-   could be a rights issue with the Mitchner Estate.

2.   The Bad News Bears (1976)-   Shown 17 times, the last time in 2010-  Paramount Release.  

3.  Dark Command (1940)-  Shown 10 times, last time 2007.  Republic Release-  I think its the only film to have John Wayne and Roy Rogers in it. 

4.  Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)-  Shown 17 times, last time in 2006.  Its directed by Carl Reiner so it might show up soon.

5.  El Dorado (1967)-  Shown 10 times, last time in 2010.  Paramount Release. 

6.  Fahrenheit 451 (1966) - Shown 12 times, last time in 2010.

7.  Hondo (1953)-  Shown 16 times, last time in 2008. 

8.  Paint Your Wagon (1969)-  Shown 21 times, last time in 2010.

9.  Teacher's Pet (1958) - Shown 16 times, last time in 2009.  

10.  Western Union (1941)-  Shown 11 times, last time in 2009. 

Thanks for taking time to do the research. I think most of those are simply not airing on TCM because of expense to rent/lease them and because they denote work from writers/directors/actors that the programmers are not interested in spotlighting at this time. Notice I say at this time since that could always change.

DARK COMMAND has been on Starz/Encore...it was digitally restored by the folks at Paramount who shepherd the Republic Library (and do a fine job with that). HONDO has also been on the Starz/Encore streaming site.

THE BRIDGES OF TOKO RI was made available for streaming recently on Amazon Prime. THE BAD NEWS BEARS is also on Amazon.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, danthemoviefan said:

THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE is controlled by Fox, which bought it and remade it under the original novel title SANCTUARY in 1961. IIRC from TCM's broadcast of it, the Fox logo comes up at the end of the film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024617/companycredits?ref_=tt_ql_dt_4

You are right about that. I forgot about the remake starring Lee Remick.

Thanks for the clarification! We like to be as accurate as we can around here.

40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

DARK COMMAND has been on Starz/Encore...it was digitally restored by the folks at Paramount who shepherd the Republic Library (and do a fine job with that). HONDO has also been on the Starz/Encore streaming site.

THE BRIDGES OF TOKO RI was made available for streaming recently on Amazon Prime. THE BAD NEWS BEARS is also on Amazon.

Thanks for the info; I'll check out TBOTR on Amazon.    

43 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think most of those are simply not airing on TCM because of expense to rent/lease them and because they denote work from writers/directors/actors that the programmers are not interested in spotlighting at this time. Notice I say at this time since that could always change.

I think you're spot on....     For example,  TCM is showing Captain Newman, MD this month as part of the Tony Curtis SOTM.  The last time it was on was 2010 (before which it had played 10 times).  

13 minutes ago, CallMeTim said:

I think you're spot on....     For example,  TCM is showing Captain Newman, MD this month as part of the Tony Curtis SOTM.  The last time it was on was 2010 (before which it had played 10 times).  

They were supposed to show THE ALL AMERICAN (1953) earlier this week, which would have been a premiere. But it was taken off the schedule at the last minute. Hopefully CAPTAIN NEWMAN won't be scrapped either.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CallMeTim said:

Tiger Lily is a UPA movie owned by Classic Media, Take the Money & Run is just now resurfacing on Paramount's 70's orphans, and not sure about Play/Sam,  but Stardust Memories is one of the 80's United Artists Orphans that's playing just about everywhere--Everything Woody from "Love & Death" -> "Shadows & Fog" is currently up for grabs, so I'm sure we'll see that one back on TCM, along with a few others.

• Thanks 1

One production aside from a movie that has a surprising rights issue is Robert Osborne's Private Screenings with Rod Steiger from 2000.  I'm guessing there must be film clips that couldn't be shown beyond a certain period of time.

43 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

One production aside from a movie that has a surprising rights issue is Robert Osborne's Private Screenings with Rod Steiger from 2000.  I'm guessing there must be film clips that couldn't be shown beyond a certain period of time.

Demagnetize and clean those VCR heads before you play any of those one-of-a-kind tapes!

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Demagnetize and clean those VCR heads before you play any of those one-of-a-kind tapes!

VCR SMART: Demagnetize VCR heads? Audio heads in a cassette tape deck require periodic demagnetization, but video heads do not. Never attempt to demagnetize the video heads in a VCR. Any type of demagnetizer used inside a VCR improperly can easily shatter the video heads, ruining the video drum assembly.

3 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

VCR SMART: Demagnetize VCR heads? Audio heads in a cassette tape deck require periodic demagnetization, but video heads do not. Never attempt to demagnetize the video heads in a VCR. Any type of demagnetizer used inside a VCR improperly can easily shatter the video heads, ruining the video drum assembly.

That's good to know.  The stationary audio head in a VCR might count though.  That is a separate component.  Best to have a professional's advice, someone who does/did this for a gainful income.  The TV station broadcast engineer type comes to mind.

Sounds interesting!

The Perfect Specimen 1937 Errol Flynn Joan Blondell

Rights issue similar to Letty Lynton,i read somewhere there is many references to Don Quixote by Cervantes could it be it?I will have to watch it again,  Cervantes 's copyright-if -any must be over by now.I have read the movie was shown in latin america on TNT in the 80-90's. I have a recording of it with a permanent TCM logo on the right hand corner,i watch TCM since 2003,it never played...the permanent logo was maybe showned during the 1994 era,Anybody can help about this logo thing? Could it be TCM uk?

50 minutes ago, nakano said:

The Perfect Specimen 1937 Errol Flynn Joan Blondell

Rights issue similar to Letty Lynton,i read somewhere there is many references to Don Quixote by Cervantes could it be it?I will have to watch it again,  Cervantes 's copyright-if -any must be over by now.I have read the movie was shown in latin america on TNT in the 80-90's. I have a recording of it with a permanent TCM logo on the right hand corner,i watch TCM since 2003,it never played...the permanent logo was maybe showned during the 1994 era,Anybody can help about this logo thing? Could it be TCM uk?

Never considered the fact that some films might be legally broadcast on Turner channels in other countries. Interesting!

Any version of "Trial of Mary Dugan" (1929) or  1941 versions, I think because of rights issues with the authors.

There was a silent version out in 1929 maybe it could resolve the rights issue?

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Of course there is a difference between rights issues, and TCM's programming department being able to show something but not opting to.

On 7/10/2020 at 3:58 PM, TopBilled said:

Funny that you mention this. This is a movie I have been wanting to watch for a long time and I just came across it on Prime prior to reading this. 

It's a great film! Gorgeous cinematography and excellent cast. Holden and Charles McGraw really shine in this one. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Athos said:

Funny that you mention this. This is a movie I have been wanting to watch for a long time and I just came across it on Prime prior to reading this. 

It's a great film! Gorgeous cinematography and excellent cast. Holden and Charles McGraw really shine in this one. 

Great minds think alike, yeah? :) 

• Like 1