Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Legally prevented from airing on TCM

8 hours ago, cinemanut said:

I think you can include Ceiling Zero to this list, too.

Someone mentioned it a few posts back, I believe.

• Like 1

You have only touched the surface. Here are some titles you missed:

DEATH  OF A  SALESMAN  (1951)

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD (1946)

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED (1940)

WINGED   VICTORY (1944) 

THE  EVE OF ST. MARK (1944)

VICTORY  (1940 )

A   MEDAL FOR BENNY  (1945)

CEILING   ZERO  (1936)

THE  BISCUIT EATER  (1940)

BULLDOG  DRUMMOND  STRIKES BACK  (1934)

SALTY O 'ROURKE  (1945)

THE   PIED PIPER  (1942)

FOLLOW  THE BOYS  (1944)

CHICAGO   DEADLINE (1949)

THE  FIRST LEGION (1951)

COME FILL  THE  CUP (1951)

WILD GIRL  (1932)

I  AM SUZANNE !   (1933)

SO   ENDS  OUR  NIGHT (1941)

A  HOUSE  DIVIDED  (1931)

CHRISTMAS   HOLIDAY  (1944)

I   LOVE  TROUBLE  (1947)

BLIND  SPOT  (1947)

AMONG THE LIVING  (1941 ) 

THE  MAN  WHO  RECLAIMED  HIS  HEAD (1934)

THE  MARK  OF  THE  WHISTLER  (1944)

SHADOWS  IN  THE  NIGHT  (1944)

BLACK  TUESDAY  (1953 ) 

APPRENTICESHIP  OF DUDDY KRAVITZ   (1974)

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, cody1949 said:

WINGED  VICTORY (1944) 

THE  EVE OF ST. MARK (1944)

THE   PIED PIPER  (1942)

You mean these titles have never aired on the Fox Movie Channel (FXM Retro) either...?

1 hour ago, cody1949 said:

Not to my knowledge.

Interesting. Did not realize that. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

3 films from England that have never been shown on any American television station:

THE BLUE LAGOON  (1949) with beautiful Jean Simmons.

THE TITFIELD THUNDERBOLT  (1953)

THE  CLOUDED YELLOW  (1950)   My Jean Simmons again

2  American films:

WHEN  I   GROW  UP  (1951)

Produced by Sam Spiegel

SUGARFOOT   (1951 )

Randolph Scott  WB  western  screwed up by having a TV show with the same name years later.

Just now, cody1949 said:

SUGARFOOT   (1951 )

Randolph Scott  WB  western  screwed up by having a TV show with the same name years later.

I think in the case of SUGARFOOT, that was Warner Brothers re-developing the property for television. They saw its potential as a long-running series. However, it has been noted elsewhere that Sugarfoot the television series also borrowed ideas from THE BOY FROM OKLAHOMA (1954), another Warner Brothers feature film.

No idea why SUGARFOOT the movie cannot be shown on TCM, while THE BOY FROM OKLAHOMA can.

They got rid of the original title,SUGARFOOT, so people would not mix it up with the TV series. They did show the Scott film for awhile calling it "Swirl of Glory".  Someone in Australia had a print with the original title.

4 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

They got rid of the original title,SUGARFOOT, so people would not mix it up with the TV series. They did show the Scott film for awhile calling it "Swirl of Glory".  Someone in Australia had a print with the original title.

Oh, is that what happened? I don't mind a title change, as long as the original film is still intact. Would like to see TCM air it.

It has a good cast. In addition to Randolph Scott, there's Adele Jergens, Raymond Massey, Gene Evans and S.Z. Sakall.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.22.17 PM

Here's another British gem that hasn't been seen on American television in the era of cable TV. An excellent thriller in Hitchcock -like style. Titled MAN  HUNT in England, but here in America called STATE  SECRET.

Released in 1950, it starred Douglas Fairbanks,Jr., Glynis Johns, Jack Hawkins and Herbert Lom among others. Distributed in America by Columbia Pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

Here's another British gem that hasn't been seen on American television in the era of cable TV. An excellent thriller in Hitchcock -like style. Titled MAN  HUNT in England, but here in America called STATE  SECRET.

Released in 1950, it starred Douglas Fairbanks,Jr., Glynis Johns, Jack Hawkins and Herbert Lom among others. Distributed in America by Columbia Pictures.

Yes, I've been curious about that one. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is someone that TCM should consider as Star of the Month. He had a long and varied career, and he made films in Hollywood and in England.

I remember that "Wild Girl" (1932) with Charles Farrell was on the TCM schedule many years ago. Then suddenly it was taken off with no explanation and I never saw it listed again.

Add "Her Wedding Night" (1930) and "Kick In" (1931)  both with Clara Bow to this list.

• Thanks 1

A number of films that I wanted to see have been announced and then pulled. 

Besides WILD GIRL , there was THIS THING   CALLED  LOVE (1941) with Melvyn Douglas and Rosalind Russell. Others that I can't recall right now.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

A number of films that I wanted to see have been announced and then pulled. 

Besides WILD GIRL , there was THIS THING   CALLED  LOVE (1941) with Melvyn Douglas and Rosalind Russell. Others that I can't recall right now.

Are you saying they were pulled due to legal issues?

TCM  never tells you why  a film  was pulled. They just do it. They did it with a 1948 film directed by Joseph Mankiewicz in England with Rex Harrison titled ESCAPE.  Has nothing in common with Robert Taylor's MGM film.

13 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

Not sure.  Here's another one that's unavailable. Not up to John Ford's usual standards, SUBMARINE PATROL (1938) for 20CF.

Yeah, I've wondered about this film. I learned about it when I was going through Richard Greene's filmography one day.

It was an "A" film directed by Ford, with a screenplay by William Faulkner and a decent cast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_Patrol

12 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the 1951 Fredric March version of DEATH OF A SALESMAN, but that's a film that seems to be out of reach indefinitely for some reason.

It turns up on YouTube occasionally. That's how I finally had a chance to watch it about a year ago. It wasn't as great as I expected it to be. It's very stage-bound, which is good, if you're a fan of the play. But in terms of cinema, I felt the director should have opened it up a bit more. Fredric March is very intense playing Willy Loman.

• Thanks 1

Arthur Miller had great disdain for Fredric March's performance eventhough Mr.March was nominated for a  Best Actor Academy Award. I liked the film and it needs to be seen with a restored print.  I think Arthur Miller would know why the film is not legitimately screened , but he is no longer with us.     

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

Arthur Miller had great disdain for Fredric March's performance eventhough Mr.March was nominated for a  Best Actor Academy Award. I liked the film and it needs to be seen with a restored print.  I think Arthur Miller would know why the film is not legitimately screened , but he is no longer with us.     

Who did Miller see in the role?