Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehat

Ben’s screwball intros to Noir Alley

Recommended Posts

when Noir Alley is the “next” movie to air, Ben always gives a screwy summary about the upcoming movie.  Like tonight: “The Bodyguard is about a cake judging contest.”

WHY does he do that?  Maybe he doesn’t like noir.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of "cake judging," here's a great cake scene from a "gangster noir" that I am sure most TCM fans will recognize !!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's trying to be funny and liven it up though he is not for everyone. Don't like him then don't watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His relationship with Eddie Muller involves a lot of razzing each other. I’m sure that’s what it’s all about.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

He's trying to be funny and liven it up though he is not for everyone. Don't like him then don't watch.

He didn't say he doesn't like him. He just asked why he does that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SadPanda said:

He didn't say he doesn't like him. He just asked why he does that.

Because - ahem - HE'S really into tongue in cheek  😁😏😉🙄🤭😟🙃😄 - and yes, HE  is trying to be funny - but sometimes HE doesn't always succeed !!!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No kidding.

I guess I'm like Dave on this one - I don't get Ben's cake judging joke either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

I don't get Ben's cake judging joke either.

You're not alone.  To paraphrase W. C. Fields... I don't get his funny.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SadPanda said:

He didn't say he doesn't like him. He just asked why he does that.

He doesn't like him. This is not his first bashing of Ben's presentation style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

He doesn't like him. This is not his first bashing of Ben's presentation style.

I read all 11 posts done by the OP and the one here is the only one that mentions Ben's presentation style.

Thus I wonder why you believe otherwise:  E.g. they use different user-names?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I could be confused. Let me go back and see if I can find it the other post I thought I remembered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I have no proof to offer, but I would swear in court Davehat started a thread about Ben looking down and to the left during his intro/outros. I remember because I commented on that thread (can't find my post either). It's possible the thread has been deleted, as most threads critical of TCM hosts are. Or it's possible I'm just wrong, but I really don't think I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, I have no proof to offer, but I would swear in court Davehat started a thread about Ben looking down and to the left during his intro/outros. I remember because I commented on that thread (can't find my post either). It's possible the thread has been deleted, as most threads critical of TCM hosts are. Or it's possible I'm just wrong, but I really don't think I am.

Of course he could have edited one of his post,  but I read all 11 posts (by clicking on the user-name and going to all-activity).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I did the same thing.

I distinctly remember back when he only had like four posts, I went and read them. One was about the film festival, two about a price increase and one about Ben looking down and to the left. It was that one that made me want to read his other posts. I believe it was Dargo who asked if he was going to be a one-post wonder, which made me curious, so I went and read all of his posts. This was just a couple of weeks ago. I don't think memory could be that fuzzy that quickly. I posted something like, "Well, he has four posts, but he's certainly characteristic of one-post wonders in that he's a total newbie who immediately starts bashing Ben".

Anyway, it's not there now. It seems more likely to me the thread was deleted by a moderator than edited by Davehat. I can't prove it ever existed, so not much point in trying. If Dargo or anybody else remembers it, feel free to speak up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Davehat said:

when Noir Alley is the “next” movie to air, Ben always gives a screwy summary about the upcoming movie.  Like tonight: “The Bodyguard is about a cake judging contest.”

WHY does he do that?  Maybe he doesn’t like noir.....

 

7 hours ago, SadPanda said:

No kidding.

I guess I'm like Dave on this one - I don't get Ben's cake judging joke either.

It was a very obscure reference to Lawrence Tierney winning the Pillsbury Bake Off of 1977.

Yep, believe it or not (although you really shouldn't) crazy scary Larry was actually a master pastry chef in his off hours.  ;)

(...actually, Helen got it right earlier...Ben has been doing this sort'a thing during his outtro of the movie that precedes Eddie's Noir Alley for quite some time now, and because Ben and Eddie are kind'a doing a new version of that fake feud that Jack Benny and Fred Allen had goin' years ago...and sure, while his jokes are often hit or miss, I'm actually starting to look forward to what Ben's weird like joke is going be each Saturday night...but then again, I can be an easy audience for lame jokes and puns, ya know...uh-huh, just like that one I made up up there about big bad Lawrence Tierney being a master pastry chef)  LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Dargo said:

It was a very obscure reference to Lawrence Tierney winning the Pillsbury Bake Off of 1977.

Yep, believe it or not (although you really shouldn't) crazy scary Larry was actually a master pastry chef in his off hours.  ;)

(...actually, Helen got it right earlier...Ben has been doing this sort'a thing during his outtro of the movie that precedes Eddie's Noir Alley for quite some time now, and because Ben and Eddie are kind'a doing a new version of that fake feud that Jack Benny and Fred Allen had goin' years ago

Of course. How could we possibly be so obtuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

Of course. How could we possibly be so obtuse?

Aaah, so THAT'S your angle, EH?!

Get IT?! "Obtuse"???  "Angle"???

Okay okay, now  didn't I just tell ya I'm a sucker for lame jokes here, dude???  ;)

(...btw SadPanda, welcome to the boards...gotta say you've already impressed me in the short amount of time you've been with us)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

btw SadPanda, welcome to the boards.

Thank you, Dargo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

You should have heard Ben's outro / intro a couple of weeks ago for UNDERWORLD U.S.A. ...

I didn't catch that one, but last week Ben advertised THE SIGN OF THE RAM as a biopic about the person who designed the logo for the L.A. Rams football team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

I didn't catch that one, but last week Ben advertised THE SIGN OF THE RAM as a biopic about the person who designed the logo for the L.A. Rams football team.

Kind'a makes ya wonder if Ben might next reference the Pittsburgh Steelers the next time Eddie shows some heist flick, doesn't it?!

(...well, it makes ME wonder that anyway)

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come back, Fast Willie Parker. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 6:15 AM, Sukhov said:

He's trying to be funny and liven it up though he is not for everyone. 

Ben’s okay.  He’s mellowed since his early 2000 weekend hosting.  At the film festival, he looked at me and said “How are you doing?” and I said “I don’t know you.”  

He laughed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, I have no proof to offer, but I would swear in court Davehat started a thread about Ben looking down and to the left during his intro/outros. 

Actually somebody ELSE started that thread, and I defended Ben by saying “I figured he was reading the script.”   In studio they read teleprompters, but at home they are more limited.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...