Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Actress Kelly Preston (1962-2020)

The actress Kelly Preston, wife of the two-time Academy Award nominee John Travolta, died Sunday in Houston at the age of 57. She had battled breast cancer for some time.

Travolta announced his wife's death on his Instagram account. “It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my beautiful wife Kelly has lost her two-year battle with breast cancer,” Travolta wrote. “She fought a courageous fight with the love and support of so many. My family and I will forever be grateful to her doctors and nurses at MD Anderson Cancer Center, all the medical centers that have helped, as well as her many friends and loved ones who have been by her side. Kelly’s love and life will always be remembered. I will be taking some time to be there for my children who have lost their mother, so forgive me in advance if you don’t hear from us for a while. But please know that I will feel your outpouring of love in the weeks and months ahead as we heal. All my love, JT.”

See the source image

Preston married Travolta in 1991. They had three children: Jett (an autistic son who died of a seizure in 2009 at the age of 16), Ella Bleu (a 20-year-old actress) and Benjamin (9).

See the source image

Preston, born in Honolulu as Kelly Kamalelehua Smith (her middle name means "the garden of lehua"), began her acting career in the 1980s. One of her first noteworthy films was John Carpenter's 1983 screen version of the Stephen King novel "Christine" -- the story of a 1958 Plymouth Fury with a mind of its own. She played a California high school cheerleader named Roseanne, who had a crush on star football running back Dennis Guilder (John Stockwell). 

See the source image

Set in the 1950s, the teen comedy "Misery" (1985) starred Preston as a sexy high school student who enchanted the awkward protagonist played by Doug McKeon. Also appearing in the film: Catherine Mary Stewart  and Jami Gertz.   

Directed by Ivan Reitman, the gimmicky 1988 comedy "Twins" starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny De Vito in the title roles. Preston played the love interest of the bigger brother. 

In Cameron Crowe's 1996 critical and commercial hit "Jerry Maguire," the super sports agent played by Tom Cruise had an ugly breakup with his girlfriend Avery Bishop (Preston). The film was nominated for five Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Actor (Cruise), Best Supporting Actor (Cuba Gooding, Jr., who won), Best Original Screenplay (Crowe) and Best Film Editing (Joe Hutshing).

One of her best roles was in the 1999 baseball film "For Love of the Game," in which she played the on-again, off-again romantic interest of a veteran Detroit Tigers pitcher played by Kevin Costner. Their characters met cute in a flashback sequence on a New York City roadway. In the present, she was very much on his mind as he labored to complete a perfect game against the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium.

The Travoltas, who were Scientologists, co-starred in the 2000 sci-fi film "Battlefield Earth" -- based on the 1982 novel by Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard (1911-1986). The picture, which was co-produced by John,  was universally disliked by critics and moviegoers. It went on to sweep the 21st Golden Raspberry Awards, including wins for Worst Picture, Worst Actor (Travolta) and Worst Supporting Actress (Preston).

See the source image

The  2003 screen version of Dr. Seuss's "The Cat in the Hat" starred Preston as the mother of two bored youngsters (played by Spencer Breslin and Dakota Fanning). Things began to liven up when the title character (Mike Myers) arrived while the children were home alone.

Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat Production Notes | 2003 Movie Releases

In 2004, Preston appeared in Maroon 5's video for "She Will Be Loved," in which she was part of a mother and daughter triangle with lead singer Adam Levine. The song reached No. 4 on Billboard's pop chart.

Preston and Kurt Russell played married superheroes in the 2005 family film "Sky High." They sent their son (Michael Angarano) to an educational institution designed for youngsters with super powers. It was located up in the clouds.

See the source image

Kelly Preston was extraordinary. I was lucky enough to star with her and direct her, and her talent was off the charts. She had such a big heart, she was a wonderful wife and mother, and my thoughts are with John and the whole family.

11:28 AM · Jul 13, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Phj-O6Sy_bigger.jpg

I was lucky enough to work with her on one of my very first films, “For Love of The Game.” We were shooting on cold days in Colorado, but she couldn’t have been warmer or kinder to a young, nervous actor trying to make good. I’ll never forget that. Thank you Kelly. #RestInPeace

🙏🏼

1:52 AM · Jul 13, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

NfaBayOI_bigger.jpg

RIP to my on screen mom, #kellypreston. What a lovely woman. Such a sad loss.
1:41 AM · Jul 13, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

E4NH3Q28_bigger.jpg
So deeply sad and disturbing . Beautiful lovely Kelly Preston has died . John and family , sending you our hearts and prayers. what a loss. #RIPKellyPreston

2:00 AM · Jul 13, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Obqv9DGO_bigger.jpg

I’m in absolute shock. What a beautiful and amazing actress and person. So sad to hear of her passing at such a young age. My heart goes out to John Travolta and the entire family. What a loss.

Folded hands

RIP #KellyPreston

1:17 AM · Jul 13, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

s47HGoRJ_bigger.jpg

Kelly Preston was enormously kind and unbelievably lovely. Can’t believe this. My thoughts are with her sweet Ella and the rest of her incredible family. RIP

White heartWhite heartWhite heart
1:48 AM · Jul 13, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

PwGLYe7Q_bigger.jpg

A beautiful lady. Inside and out. A crushing loss. Rest In Peace, Kelly Preston

🙏🏽

Broken heart
1:39 AM · Jul 13, 2020 from Los Angeles, CA·Twitter for iPhone

• Thanks 3

By numerous accounts- Some of which I have heard from people who have worked with or met him- TRAVOLTA is an incredibly kind and decent guy. 
Like even documentaries I’ve seen on Scientology where they’ve interviewed ex Scientologists who have had their lives made Hell by the church and their fellow actors, EVERYONE INTERVIEWED has mentioned how nice he is/was. 

very sad. 

In this time of the pandemic, some people lose track of the number of deaths caused by cancer.  I believe Ms. Preston was very adamant about keeping the details of her battle private and I respect that.  I don't think this is the appropriate place for me to voice what I've heard about Travolta pro or con.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

By numerous accounts- Some of which I have heard from people who have worked with or met him- TRAVOLTA is an incredibly kind and decent guy. 
Like even documentaries I’ve seen on Scientology where they’ve interviewed ex Scientologists who have had their lives made Hell by the church and their fellow actors, EVERYONE INTERVIEWED has mentioned how nice he is/was. 

very sad. 

What's really sad is that Travolta has experienced this before. When he was in his early 20s, he became involved with the actress Diana Hyland of the ABC comedy/drama series "Eight Is Enough." They co-starred in the 1976 ABC TV-movie "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble," in which Travolta played Hyland's son.

She died of breast cancer on March 27, 1977 -- 12 days after the television premiere  of "Eight Is Enough" (she was replaced by Betty Buckley, who played a new character for the rest of the series' run). Hyland was 41.

At the 29th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, held on September 11, 1977, Hyland's performance in "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" was honored posthumously in the category of Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Drama Special. The award was accepted by an emotional Travolta.

See the source image

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

What's really sad is that Travolta has experienced this before. When he was in his early 20s, he became involved with the actress Diana Hyland of the ABC comedy/drama series "Eight Is Enough." They co-starred in the 1976 ABC TV-movie "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble," in which Travolta played Hyland's son....

That was also one of my first thoughts on reading the news!

(I'm old too!)

(j/k)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

See the source image

off-topic, but maybe adding some levity- KEE-RIPES, the 1970's were something weren't they? If your bowtie and lapels weren't at least A YARD ACROSS, were you even wearing anything?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

off-topic, but maybe adding some levity- KEE-RIPES, the 1970's were something weren't they? If your bowtie and lapels weren't at least A YARD ACROSS, were you even wearing anything?

The 1970s? How about Preston's hair from the early 1990s?

See the source image

8 minutes ago, jakeem said:

The 1970s? How about Preston's hair from the early 1990s?

See the source image

animated-love-it-sign-image-0018.gif

(THE 90'S WERE MY DECADE.)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

animated-love-it-sign-image-0018.gif

(THE 90'S WERE MY DECADE.)

She looked great in any decade!

See the source image

• Like 1

iI seem to recall a story about her being shot in the leg by (then fiancee'?) Charlie Sheen in the 80's....

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

iI seem to recall a story about her being shot in the leg by (then fiancee'?) Charlie Sheen in the 80's....

I'm sure his wives and other girlfriends could tell some stories, too.

See the source image

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I'm sure his wives and other girlfriends could tell some stories, too.

See the source image

the ones that are still with us that is!

ps- props to Kelly for looking THAT DAMN GOOD in a CASUAL PAPARAZZI PHOTO!

• Like 1

John & Kelly were love interests in a movie called The Experts (1989) where Travolta & Arye Gross somehow got dropped into a Potemkin Village in the Soviet Union and everyone was pretending to be Americans. Kelly played a Soviet girl (I think) who gets involved with them. It’s been ages since I saw that movie so I know what few details I wrote are probably wrong. If I’m not mistaken, that’s where they met, or got involved with each other. 

Anyway, too bad about her death. She had been through a lot and was too young. 

1 hour ago, HelenBaby2 said:

John & Kelly were love interests in a movie called The Experts (1989) where Travolta & Arye Gross somehow got dropped into a Potemkin Village in the Soviet Union and everyone was pretending to be Americans. Kelly played a Soviet girl (I think) who gets involved with them. It’s been ages since I saw that movie so I know what few details I wrote are probably wrong. If I’m not mistaken, that’s where they met, or got involved with each other. 

Anyway, too bad about her death. She had been through a lot and was too young. 

Naturally, they fell in love while dancing.