Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Guilty pleasure about Dynasty and Dallas (Larry Hagman was in one reboot until he died) for me.  Like many daytime soaps, screwy or makes no sense plotlines and cast changes (i.e., same actor no longer playing the part).  I liked P. Sue Martin as Fallon rather than Emma Samms.  I remember how Joan Collins playing Alexis gave the show a short in the arm (not sure if John Forsythe cared that she became so popular).  What was tragic about the series, for those of you who watched it, is all the tabloid tales because Linda Evans had a kissing scene with Rock Hudson (who was a victim of AIDS).

Joan preferred Emma playing her daughter. She also loved working with Stephanie Beacham (Sable).

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 8.09.16 AM.png

• Like 1

Joan Collins still looks good today.  Many people forget that she made a few decent films.  She and Paul Newman are funny in Rally Round the Flag... and she starred in The Girl in The Red Velvet Swing (based on a true story - her character - Evelyn Nesbitt? - also shows up in Ragtime).  Joan's sister, Jackie, Collins, who was a best selling novelist died.

Does anyone remember John F. on Bachelor Father (for some reason, there were a lot of families where at least one parent died when I was a child)?  I also remember a show with Bob Cummings and Julie Newmar (my dad saw her on Broadway and told my Mom about her) pre her Catwoman years.  I think it was called My Favorite Robot.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

In real life, I remember when I was taking a seminar re: teaching, I was told to never get in the middle of a girl fight!

Here are two more scenes with Alexis & Sable from the ninth season of Dynasty.

First Sable gets the upper hand:

Then Alexis gets the upper hand:

• Like 1
On 7/13/2020 at 7:31 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

In re: DYNASTY

I would definitely be curious about seeing the show again, but I seriously doubt it could live up to this modern day reinvention:

Here, the catfight I saw  in the one episode today (with obviously male stunt doubles for both female leads) It's a real hoot.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Here, the catfight I saw  in the one episode today (with obviously male stunt doubles for both female leads) It's a real hoot.

The one in the Lily Pond is better; Also the one from the (unfortunate) reunion is fun. Apparently (Judging from the sequins and the feather boa’s) in the years since falling off the balcony, Alexis secured a contract with Frederick’s of Hollywood as one of their staff designers

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The one in the Lily Pond is better; Also the one from the (unfortunate) reunion is fun. Apparently (Judging from the sequins and the feather boa’s) in the years since falling off the balcony, Alexis secured a contract with Frederick’s of Hollywood as one of their staff designers

Yeah, that lily pond one was something else. i flipped ahead to the season 3 discs just to see that clip. I've been enjoying it so much actually, that i bought the reinforcement pack (seasons 5 though 7) collected to help me go forward with this. i did check out that notorious "Moldavian Massacre" scene at the end of season 5. That thing was rather cinematic feeling and completely bonkers.

29 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yeah, that lily pond one was something else. i flipped ahead to the season 3 discs just to see that clip. I've been enjoying it so much actually, that i bought the reinforcement pack (seasons 5 though 7) collected to help me go forward with this. i did check out that notorious "Moldavian Massacre" scene at the end of season 5. That thing was rather cinematic feeling and completely bonkers.

Yeah I like the Moldavian massacre, It really takes me back to the days when there were big cliffhanger season finales.

A lot of people pointed to the Moldavian massacre as the point where the show began to decline afterwards.

• Like 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah I like the Moldavian massacre, It really takes me back to the days when there were big cliffhanger season finales.

A lot of people pointed to the Moldavian massacre as the point where the show began to decline afterwards.

I think the reason for the decline might have been because only two minor characters died as a result of that scene (Ali Macgraw and Billy Campbell). Judging from the scene as it played out on the DVD, most would have guessed at the time that Gordon Thompson's Adam would have been a goner with the shot to the chest. If they had been willing to bump off a bigger player or two (exactly who is anyone's guess or personal preference, even though we all know they would have never killed off one of the three leads) , things might have been a bit different. Even so, it doesn't strain credibility as much as "Pam's dream/nightmare" season of Dallas.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I think the reason for the decline might have been because only two minor characters died as a result of that scene (Ali Macgraw and Billy Campbell). Judging from the scene as it played out on the DVD, most would have guessed at the time that Gordon Thompson's Adam would have been a goner with the shot to the chest. If they had been willing to bump off a bigger player or two (exactly who is anyone's guess or personal preference, even though we all know they would have never killed off one of the three leads) , things might have been a bit different. Even so, it doesn't strain credibility as much as "Pam's dream/nightmare" season of Dallas.

Or when Claudia was abducted by aliens. 

• Like 1

My family went to Paris when I was 12, and there are all sorts of things I remember about the trip, but the one thing I don’t think I will ever forget: One evening in the hotel room, the season finale of DYNASTY Where Alexis drives a 1980 Dodge Dart off a bridge  played en Francais And my sister and I laughed ourselves silly watching it.

Put an antenna on your TV and you get all kinds of classic channels.  My basic philosophy is “Why pay for something that is free.”  AntennaTV, CoziTV, MEtv, ThisTV, Movies!  They all have websites so you can look-up their content.  It’s mostly 1950s to 70s with some later stuff mixed in.  My favorites are:

Dragnet, Adam-12, Father Knows Best, Dennis the Menace, The George Burns Show, Alfred Hitchcock Hour, The Twilight Zone & Night Gallery

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Davehat said:

Put an antenna on your TV and you get all kinds of classic channels.  My basic philosophy is “Why pay for something that is free.”

- AntennaTV

- CoziTV

- MEtv

- ThisTV

- Movies!

- they all have websites so you can look-up their content.  It’s mostly 1950s to 70s with some later stuff mixed in.  My favorites are:

Dragnet

Adam-12

Father Knows Best

Dennis the Menace

The George Burns Show

Alfred Hitchcock Hour

The Twilight Zone & Night Gallery

My philosophy/view is that you are "paying" with the extra time you have to give to commercials.

Life's too short to sit through years of commercial advertising!

On 7/13/2020 at 9:54 PM, SansFin said:

Jeeves and Wooster (1990–1993)

I loathe this one so much. My irritating aunt and uncle watch it and are always trying to shove it down my throat. They get so offended too that I don't watch it and don't want to discuss it. Dude, not everyone likes the same things. Quit trying to shove this down my throat.

17 hours ago, Davehat said:

Put an antenna on your TV and you get all kinds of classic channels.  My basic philosophy is “Why pay for something that is free.”

- AntennaTV

- CoziTV

- MEtv

- ThisTV

- Movies!

- they all have websites so you can look-up their content.  It’s mostly 1950s to 70s with some later stuff mixed in.  My favorites are:

Dragnet

Adam-12

Father Knows Best

Dennis the Menace

The George Burns Show

Alfred Hitchcock Hour

The Twilight Zone & Night Gallery

https://ustvgo.tv/

Thank me later. ;) 

My favorite show of all time was "Bewitched" and my favorite characters in the series were Aunt Clara, Endora and the first Gladys Kravitz. I recently bought the boxed set of all 254 episodes.

I never watched "Frasier" when it was in prime time but I began watching it on COZI-TV. I love the humor and the writing is fabulous. I think it's a lot funnier than the show it branched off from (Cheers).

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

My philosophy/view is that you are "paying" with the extra time you have to give to commercials.

Life's too short to sit through years of commercial advertising!

I, OTOH, realize that TV exists because of advertisers since the days of radio, or used to, back when it was actually entertaining, and before it tried to be Big Like Movies, and became galumphing, dour, violent and humorless.  (Watch kids nowadays spit on the idea that we used to watch TV comedy at all, and weekly with commercials, at that.)

Watching 70's gameshow reruns on PlutoTV, I find myself actually getting nostalgic for the long strings of obligatorily placed product-plugs that the contestant would receive as Lovely Parting Gifts.  When TV stopped being an avenue to promote the national unity of consumerism, it lost all relevancy in our society, while we just played with our DVD's and download streams.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

The last sequence from The Colbys:

What the...?!?  I watched The Colbys occasionally, clearly I should have stuck with it to the end.  

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Peebs said:

What the...?!?  I watched The Colbys occasionally, clearly I should have stuck with it to the end.  

The show was canceled at the end of the second season. So that was how it all "ended." 

Fallon & Jeff (Emma Samms & John James) returned to Denver in the fall, rejoining Dynasty. So the writers of Dynasty were tasked with explaining what happened to Fallon the night she went up in the space ship.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The show was canceled at the end of the second season. So that was how it all "ended." 

Fallon & Jeff (Emma Samms & John James) returned to Denver in the fall, rejoining Dynasty. So the writers of Dynasty were tasked with explaining what happened to Fallon the night she went up in the space ship.

How did they explain Emma Samms climbing aboard a flying saucer?  

There was a recent TV show called People of Earth.  It's about a support group for people who were abducted by aliens.  Pretty funny but it only lasted two seasons.  

People of Earth gets cancelled despite previously being renewed ...

8 minutes ago, Peebs said:

How did they explain Emma Samms climbing aboard a flying saucer?  

There was a recent TV show called People of Earth.  It's about a support group for people who were abducted by aliens.  Pretty funny but it only lasted two seasons.  

People of Earth gets cancelled despite previously being renewed ...

They had Fallon telling Jeff her incredible story, his not believing her, then she became frustrated and joined a support group. Supposedly other people in the group had experienced alien encounters. While she was getting "therapy," it was suggested that Fallon had hallucinated and imagined most of what happened in the desert that night in California. But of course there are several different fan theories. And not everyone buys the "Fallon was crazy" or "Fallon was losing her mind" explanation.

Within five episodes, it was all dropped and Fallon and Jeff were back to normal (normal for them), dealing with romantic problems. But a season later I think Heather Locklear's character, Sammy Jo, who was sleeping with Jeff threw Fallon's extra-terrestrial experience in her face, questioning Fallon's right to be with Jeff. So make of that what you will.

I always thought that if the writers were willing to go all the way with it, we'd find out that Fallon had mothered alien children as a result of her strange encounter that evening. But the writers refrained from going that direction with the material. It was certainly different and a rare case of a show combining science fiction with melodrama.

• Like 1