Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I mostly watch my shows through Hulu or personal copies.  I will watch shows on cable TV, but I dislike the commercials.  TVLand for example, condenses the ending of one episode into the bottom of the screen and starts playing the next episode at the top of the screen. If you wanted to read the credits to see who played a specific character in the episode, you're SOL because it's impossible to read the condensed screen.  I am fairly confident that ME-TV speeds up shows. I don't watch many new shows though, so Hulu and DVDs work for me. 

Many  stations/networks running syndicated reruns, including MeTV, use time compression.  It's most noticeable with music.  The tempo will be unsteady. 

9 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

:)

I'm not a smoker and think smoking is pretty gross in real life, but it  thought it was a nice touch that Alexis smoked on DYNASTY. Hilariou she when puts out her cigarette on the floor in the hotel.

I don't smoke tobacco, but (being from North Carolina) I have a pretty tolerant view on it, and I bemoan its disappearance from film and television, because HOW SOMEONE SMOKES CAN TELL YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT THEIR CHARACTER, and ALEXIS smashing that cigarette OUT ON THE GD FLOOR is the MOST "TRASH WITH MONEY" THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

That one act tells you all you need to know ABOUT HER.

ETA: ALEXIS AND DEX FALLING OFF THE BALCONY was, for a few years, UNRESOLVED as the season finale ended up being the series finale. in the unfortunate 1992(?) reunion, it is revealed that ALEXIS managed to LAND ON DEX, who we understand did not fare so well...this was the ONLY THING in the FINALE that was in any way a satisfying resolution and it was really worth the wait.

13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don't smoke tobacco, but (being from North Carolina) I have a pretty tolerant view on it, and I bemoan its disappearance from film and television, because HOW SOMEONE SMOKES CAN TELL YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT THEIR CHARACTER, and ALEXIS smashing that cigarette OUT ON THE GD FLOOR is the MOST "TRASH WITH MONEY" THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

That one act tells you all you need to know ABOUT HER.

ETA: ALEXIS AND DEX FALLING OFF THE BALCONY was, for a few years, UNRESOLVED as the season finale ended up being the series finale. in the unfortunate 1992(?) reunion, it is revealed that ALEXIS managed to LAND ON DEX, who we understand did not fare so well...this was the ONLY THING in the FINALE that was in any way a satisfying resolution and it was really worth the wait.

I admit I did not like Dex.

On 7/29/2020 at 3:46 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

He was a very bad actor.

So I take it that if you had been a writer for the show, you would have killed him up in either the Moldavian  Massacre or the El Mirage fire.

54 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

So I take it that if you had been a writer for the show, you would have killed him up in either the Moldavian  Massacre or the El Mirage fire.

I don’t think he was on the show during the Moldavian Massacre...as I recall Alexis went into hiding as a nun and tried to become the Grand Duchess of Moldavia And she wasn’t on the show for a little while after that. Then Dex came along. 

They made the right choice killing Ali MacGraw in the MM.  In any contest between bad actors Ali will take the gold every time.

shame about THE ROCKETEER tho.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Just thinking, although it has been talked about before, how nice it would be if TCM had a sister channel for classic TV shows from the major networks, call it TCT, say. Have shows air just like it used to be, an episode a week, and have a vast array of series, 96 hour long shows and 144 half hour shows, or something like that spanning from shows done in the 50s all the way through the 90s. What do you all think? 

I like your idea.  I'd add mini-series to the lineup, too.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:06 AM, speedracer5 said:

I love Sue Ann.  I especially loved her patronizing and smarmy closings for her "Happy Homemaker" show.  "God couldn't be everywhere, so he made mothers."

My favorite Sue Ann moment is when she closes the oven door with her knee while removing her collapsed chocolate souffle. 

Mine is when they established her character right off the bat in her first episode, when Mary needed advice throwing a party in her new apartment.

Sue Ann, all smiles on camera, is demonstrating how to turn over a pineapple upside-down cake out of the oven, and dumps batter all over the counter:  "Well, looks like someone's played a little joke on the Happy Homemaker; seems one of our interns forgot to turn the oven on.  😁  Fortunately, I've got one I've baked earlier, and I'll be back with more party-entertaining recipes right after this brief commercial:"
The director calls "cut!", and:  "--All right, who the HELL is responsible??"

They made the right choice killing Ali MacGraw in the MM.  In any contest between bad actors Ali will take the gold every time.

Anyone who dares utters heresy against The Rocketeer in my presence had better have a good reason...Could you unpack that one for us?  

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I like your idea.  I'd add mini-series to the lineup, too.

As noted there are now a few fairly new stations that focus on older (classic) T.V. shows;  E.g. Decades.   

Thus I assume that when one states "like TCM" they mean commercial free.      In this era,  based on the financial arrangements between the content  providers (e.g. studios \ companies that own the rights to these shows)  and the stations,   there will ever be another commercial free network that one doesn't have to pay for specifically:   E.g. HBO versus TCM.     

So the questions becomes how much would one be willing to pay,  per month,  for access to a commercial free network that offered classic TV?

Funny but this came up last night when my wife and I were watching Dark Shadows on Decades;   She told me she wished they would show more then one episode per night.   I responded by saying that if they were commercial free,  they could pack 3 episodes into one hour.       The story line for Dark Shadows develops very, very slowly, but that is the hook of a soap opera, that makes one come for what Decades  says is 'must see TV' night after night, after night.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As noted there are now a few fairly new stations that focus on older (classic) T.V. shows;  E.g. Decades.   

Thus I assume that when one states "like TCM" they mean commercial free.      In this era,  based on the financial arrangements between the content  providers (e.g. studios \ companies that own the rights to these shows)  and the stations,   there will ever be another commercial free network that one doesn't have to pay for specifically:   E.g. HBO versus TCM.     

So the questions becomes how much would one be willing to pay,  per month,  for access to a commercial free network that offered classic TV?

Funny but this came up last night when my wife and I were watching Dark Shadows on Decades;   She told me she wished they would show more then one episode per night.   I responded by saying that if they were commercial free,  they could pack 3 episodes into one hour.       The story line for Dark Shadows develops very, very slowly, but that is the hook of a soap opera, that makes one come for what Decades  says is 'must see TV' night after night, after night.

Good points.  With TV shows, I don't mind commercials.  We record programs now and just fast forward through the commercials.   Commercials are more a natural fit with classic TV shows which were made with commercial breaks versus cutting up an old movie to squeeze in ads for My Pillow or adult diapers.   There are some old TV shows (and mini-series) which never seem to be available.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Good points.  With TV shows, I don't mind commercials.  We record programs now and just fast forward through the commercials.   

Yep. TV shows that are interrupted for commercials are not a problem - they're in fact designed that way. FFing through is hardly a hardship.

I find the station logo being ever-present is more annoying to me than commercials. You can't FF the station logo out.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Mine is when they established her character right off the bat in her first episode, when Mary needed advice throwing a party in her new apartment.

Sue Ann, all smiles on camera, is demonstrating how to turn over a pineapple upside-down cake out of the oven, and dumps batter all over the counter:  "Well, looks like someone's played a little joke on the Happy Homemaker; seems one of our interns forgot to turn the oven on.  😁  Fortunately, I've got one I've baked earlier, and I'll be back with more party-entertaining recipes right after this brief commercial:"
The director calls "cut!", and:  "--All right, who the HELL is responsible??"

Anyone who dares utters heresy against The Rocketeer in my presence had better have a good reason...Could you unpack that one for us?  

Actually the first episode in which  Sue Ann appeared was "The Lars Affair,"  where she closes the oven with her knee (the moment that speedracer mentions as a favorite).

"The Dinner Party" was Sue Ann's second appearance. And the party Mary wanted help with was held at her original apartment (the studio), not the one bedroom apartment she'd have later in the series. This is the famous Veal Prince Orloff episode.

Also, the occasion behind the party was to host a congresswoman that Mary had interviewed for WJM.

And the dessert that was ruined because someone forgot to turn on Sue Ann's oven was a strawberry swirl, not a pineapple upside down cake.

AND there was no version of the dessert that Sue Ann had  made earlier.     

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don’t think he was on the show during the Moldavian Massacre...as I recall Alexis went into hiding as a nun and tried to become the Grand Duchess of Moldavia And she wasn’t on the show for a little while after that. Then Dex came along. 

I have not watched  all episodes of DYNASTY.  In fact, I have not seen that many complete episodes. 

From your comment above, I guess Luke was killed in the Moldavian Massacre.

:(

12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"Even worms can procreate."

I really enjoy these DYNASTY clips available online.

I watched a lot of these, some many times, but I haven't seen many full episodes.

4 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Actually the first episode in which  Sue Ann appeared was "The Lars Affair,"  where she closes the oven with her knee (the moment that speedracer mentions as a favorite).

"The Dinner Party" was Sue Ann's second appearance. And the party Mary wanted help with was held at her original apartment (the studio), not the one bedroom apartment she'd have later in the series. This is the famous Veal Prince Orloff episode.

(Well, darn, if they'd just SHOW the reruns...)  😐

8 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

"Even worms can procreate."

I really enjoy these DYNASTY clips available online.

I watched a lot of these, some many times, but I haven't seen many full episodes.

I love how that birthday cake came from THE PIGGLY WIGGLY and yet ALEXIS chooses to call out the WATERCRESS as being declasse. AND THEN SHE STICKS HER FINGER IN IT!

Again, TRASH WITH MONEY.

8 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I have not watched  all episodes of DYNASTY.  In fact, I have not seen that many complete episodes. 

From your comment above, I guess Luke was killed in the Moldavian Massacre.

:(

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

it feeds me ego when not one, but two people seize on a throwaway line at the end of one of my posts.

BILLY CAMPBELL, later in THE ROCKETEER played LUKE FULLER who was STEPHEN CARRINGTON'S LOVAH on DYNASTY.

MV5BMTY0ODc4MDgwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTg4

I AM REALLY SORRY ABOUT SPOILING THIS FOR YOU [Holden], the incident in question being 30 years ago AND the fact that we're all such SOAP FANS, i just REALLY ASSUMED YOU KNEW....HOWEVER, i will say- THE STORY OF THE GAYING and then CURIOUS HETEROSEXUALIZATION of the STEVEN CARRINGTON CHARACTER is one of the more interesting in the history of media and is worth a deep dive into. It's really pretty shameful how they erased this part of his story, but AARON SPELLING shows are not known for putting a lot of emotional investment into their characters or their storylines.

THERE IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE IN THIS CLIP THO [AGAIN, I NOTE THE RE-DRESSED HALLWAY SET FROM THE MOVIE CLUE }

NOTE- A LOT of dialogue seems to have been added in postproduction.

ALSO those STUNTMEN wrestling on the coffee table in the Chanel suits and the nylons were really living the dream, huh?

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

(Well, darn, if they'd just SHOW the reruns...)  😐

MTM is currently running on Decades as part of their 70s block starting at 2E/1C every weekday.  They show 2 episodes per day. 

The first episode today is the backdoor pilot for Bill Daily where he plays a clueless councilman (Ep 2.24, His Two Right Arms)  It also features Isabel Sanford in a supporting role.  This was the last episode of the second season.

Decades is available over the air in most major markets, and also on some cable systems that might carry the local affiliate.

Lately I've been watching Cagney and Lacey. It's basically a chick flick cop show. Normally, I don't get into anything too chick flicky, but this is a pretty good show. Good stories and some tender moments. I particularly like Tyne Daly. She really fits the part.

hwn4d-RG8C92TRW13-Full-Image_GalleryBack

• Like 1
On 7/31/2020 at 6:30 AM, txfilmfan said:

MTM is currently running on Decades as part of their 70s block starting at 2E/1C every weekday.  They show 2 episodes per day. 

The first episode today is the backdoor pilot for Bill Daily where he plays a clueless councilman (Ep 2.24, His Two Right Arms)  It also features Isabel Sanford in a supporting role.  This was the last episode of the second season.

Decades is available over the air in most major markets, and also on some cable systems that might carry the local affiliate.

The entirety of MTM is also on Hulu. 

My favorite part of the Bill Daly episode is when Rhoda enters the room wearing a Vikings sweatshirt (and fancy earrings) and Daly says to her, something like: “they had a great year!” Daly is talking about the Vikings and Rhoda thinks he’s talking about her boobs.