Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There's so many TV shows I liked ove the years( and that's more than I'm willing to admit here now ;) ) that it would take more than the endurance I'm limited to at the moment to list them all. 

Many go back to the late '50's and all the way up to last year.  I'll just mention I never tire of the old B&W sitcoms from the '50's and '60's and also never get bored with any LAW & ORDER reruns, even the ones before and after JERRY ORBACH.  And my last two favorite sitcoms were THE MIDDLE and MODERN FAMILY.  

And of course y'all know how very fond of GRACIE ALLEN I've always been.  DirectTV, which both facilities I stayed in had doesn't carry AntennaTV, so I'll be glad to see her again tomorrow morning.  :)

Sepiatone

However hokey many seem to find ADAM-12 and the color version of DRAGNET - Los Angeles policemen are misunderstood civil servants, hippies are everything your parents warned you about, etc., for those who grew up in the Los Angeles area during the second half of the 1960s and/or the first half of the 1970s, the Jack Webb pair are video "logs" of their youth's city.
  • Like 1
On 8/2/2020 at 2:44 PM, NoShear said:

However hokey many seem to find ADAM-12 and the color version of DRAGNET - Los Angeles policemen are misunderstood civil servants, hippies are everything your parents warned you about, etc., for those who grew up in the Los Angeles area during the second half of the 1960s and/or the first half of the 1970s, the Jack Webb pair are video "logs" of their youth's city.  

And as corny as we've been taught the Dragnet episodes were supposed to have been (mostly by the messenger-shooting Legalizationists who can't come up with a reasonable defense for themselves except to keep showing goofy Reefer Madness clips), Webb's good intentions on the "Speak Your Mind" episode of Dragnet ("Public Affairs - DR-07" (1968)) remind us that the earlier hysterically trending "Defund the police!  Let's replace those lynching racist murderers with citizens' patrols!" post-Lloyd mentality is not so far removed from the "Off the pigs!" mood of hippie/protest-riddled 60's Southern California, and a few calm words of reason and reality are always needed:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5uwsjk

(Yes, you know you're never officially your parents until Joe Friday starts to make sense.  👍 )

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, EricJ said:

"...a few calm words of reason and reality are always needed..."

Regarding "Dragnet 46 - 3.01 - Public Affairs - DR-07", its producers sometimes even had trouble casting young people in counterculture roles. (Yes, I know Timothy Leary was well past the age of trust, but come on!)

I'll occasionally catch the reruns of THE RAT PATROL on H&I Saturday nights after COMBAT.  It tickles me that they start each episode announcing, even as recently(to me) as 1968, that the show is "in color".  :D 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I'll occasionally catch the reruns of THE RAT PATROL on H&I Saturday nights after COMBAT.  It tickles me that they start each episode announcing, even as recently(to me) as 1968, that the show is "in color".  :D 

Sepiatone

I think those "In Color" bumpers lasted a bit longer than 1968.  I know The Brady Bunch's first season had an "In Color" bumper (just a title card with a short music interlude) that preceded the opening, as some reruns today still include it.  It wasn't until 1972 that sales of color sets outnumbered B&W sets in the U.S.   NBC retired its "In Living Color" peacock for the first time in 1975 (replaced by the red and blue block N logo), but even by then its use had declined.

TV Guide at some point switched from identifying those shows broadcast in color to identifying those broadcast in B&W.  It appears from looking at archived images online that happened in 1972.

We didn't have a color set until 1972.  My parents blamed the cable TV company, saying it didn't work well with color TV, but that didn't explain why the next door neighbor's color set worked just fine on the same cable system, or the fact the we had a color set in my 2nd grade classroom connected to the cable system.  My logical arguments fell on deaf ears until the B&W console finally gasped its last breath and they bought a new "solid state" TV with no warm-up required!  The first show I turned on after we got the color set was Gilligan's Island, but it was in B&W, being a first season episode.   

• Like 1
On 7/13/2020 at 8:37 PM, SadPanda said:

TV Series are so different now that we have Cable Network ones competing with traditional over-the-air networks for the eyes of viewers. I find that there are far fewer shows that hold my interest these days on networks like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX.

The only dramatic show from any of those 4 that I watch at present is The Blacklist. Anything else I might watch from the OTA's tends to be humor-oriented (Simpsons, SNL, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy). Not much else. I've even stopped watching late-night talk shows.

I agree. It seems like once the "reality TV' fad (if it is just a fad) began we don't watch much network TV. Like you we love Blacklist, but that's about it these days. We mainly stream Netflix, Prime and Britbox or watch HBO, Showtime and Starz.  I guess my favorite really old TV shows  would be The Untouchables, Route 66, The Fugitive and Twilight Zone. My wife and I loved Dallas and Falcon Crest back in the 80s.  In the 90s I was a die hard fan of X-Files.  I really cannot remember when I started losing interest in the networks, but I might be the only person alive that has never watched Survivor, Big Brother or Dancing With The Stars.  To steal a quote from Will McAvoy of The Newsroom I didn't watch them because my eyes are connected to my brain.

• Like 1

We have CBS All Access. I have read that viewership of the older series available there is larger than viewership of current broadcast series. I doubt that they truly have all episodes of all series which they ever aired because there had to be very many one-season programs and others which never gained a lasting fandom but I can think of no series which is not there.

The fact that they have added now at least part of their catalog of Paramount movies is a great bonus.

4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

We didn't have a color set until 1972.  My parents blamed the cable TV company, saying it didn't work well with color TV, but that didn't explain why the next door neighbor's color set worked just fine on the same cable system, or the fact the we had a color set in my 2nd grade classroom connected to the cable system.  My logical arguments fell on deaf ears until the B&W console finally gasped its last breath and they bought a new "solid state" TV with no warm-up required!  The first show I turned on after we got the color set was Gilligan's Island, but it was in B&W, being a first season episode.  

A 19-21" color TV set  (gasp!...My desktop computer is 21") was still prestigiously expensive for most suburban folk in the early 70's.  Our family didn't get one until about '74, and then only because my dad had a consultant job with Sylvania at the time.  Up to that point, we used to have annual Oz-watching parties with another friends' house that did have one.

It'd been delivered and set tip early, and Dad wasn't going to unveil it till he got home from work, so I got to watch the after-school Yogi Bear cartoons and figure out the number-button channels (no switch!) on my own.  😁

• Like 1

I kind of feel awkward at the moment, these last few weeks, because I have really been plunging myself into the world of TV shows in a way that I've not been prone to before, with heedless abandon. And I don't know, I've usually a big movie person, and yet I've been giving movies short shrift these last few weeks. And since early July, I have seen episodes  of  the following shows for the first time: Dynasty, Family Ties, That Girl, Perry Mason (the Raymond Burr one), Alice, thirtysomething, Taxi, Three's Company, Barney Miller, The Practice, The Streets of San Francisco,  and Sisters.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I kind of feel awkward at the moment, these last few weeks, because I have really been plunging myself into the world of TV shows in a way that I've not been prone to before, with heedless abandon. And I don't know, I've usually a big movie person, and yet I've been giving movies short shrift these last few weeks. And since early July, I have seen episodes  of  the following shows for the first time: Dynasty, Family Ties, That Girl, Perry Mason (the Raymond Burr one), Alice, thirtysomething, Taxi, Three's Company, Barney Miller, The Practice, The Streets of San Francisco,  and Sisters.

I've always been a TV addict. Like you, I find the older shows much better than some that are shown today. Spectrum dropped DECADES last year and I was furious because my afternoon routine including watching reruns of Newhart  (the one where he ran a lodge).  I hear Peacock is great.  I still haven't figured out how to get it free on my Firestick, but hopefully will soon. 

On 7/31/2020 at 7:11 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I AM REALLY SORRY ABOUT SPOILING THIS FOR YOU [Holden], the incident in question being 30 years ago AND the fact that we're all such SOAP FANS, i just REALLY ASSUMED YOU KNEW....HOWEVER, i will say- THE STORY OF THE GAYING and then CURIOUS HETEROSEXUALIZATION of the STEVEN CARRINGTON CHARACTER is one of the more interesting in the history of media and is worth a deep dive into. It's really pretty shameful how they erased this part of his story, but AARON SPELLING shows are not known for putting a lot of emotional investment into their characters or their storylines.

I'm okay with spoilers.

The :( was because I was sad that they killed off such a cutie.

Wasn't Steven Carrington suddenly gay again in the DYNASTY reunion movie? I've never seen it, but I think I read that he was.

I know in the reunion he was again played by the original actor Al Corley.  I suspect that there was no explanation  as to how Steven had his original face back. (Reconstruction surgery after an accident was used to explain the  Jack Coleman recast.)

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I watched Three's Company when it was on Nick at Nite in like 2000 (just a year or two before the good Nick at Nite went down the tubes).  This is one of the few shows that I can think of where it wasn't really affected by having a million cast changes.  I actually thought that Mr. Furley was funnier than the Ropers.  While Chrissy was probably the best blonde roommate, I didn't mind Teri, the third blonde roommate.  Chrissy's cousin, Cindy, was probably the worst roommate, but even she was fine. 

I still cannot get into Family Ties.  I just found every character on that show so annoying.  The only part of the show I like was the beginning with the "What would we do baby, without us?.... sha la la la..." song and the family photo being painted.  Once the actual show started, I changed the channel. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Barney Miller was great. Steve Landesberg and Jack Soo were hilarious.

I was the same age as the kids on Family Ties so easily identified.  I also had an older brother & wife who were ex-hippies like the parents.

- TCM costs $5 extra for me.  It used to be free, but in 2010 was moved to separate tier.

- SYFY also cost extra, but I canceled after they stopped having original shows (at least no shows worth watching).  I miss the quality Farscape, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica era of Sci-Fi channel.

On 8/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, txfilmfan said:

I hear ya.  I too, didn't own a color TV set until '72 also.  Me and the ex bought it the same time we bought our first home(and only home we had together).  My Mom didn't get one until five years before her death in '99.  Always thought a color TV set would ruin her eyesight or turn her into the Hulk or something. :D   I used to tease her about the Hulk thing anyway.  ;)   My area didn't get cable service until '81 so that was never a factor..

Sepiatone

7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Of the original big three networks: ABC, CBS, and NBC, which one had the shows you watched the most?

Depends on the time period for me.  Up until the early 80s, it was CBS.  Then NBC.

I stopped watching network television by and large sometime after 2000, with the exception of 2 or 3 sitcoms.   I currently only watch one single legacy network program, usually on DVR.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth even though I haven't been seeing as many episodes of series for the first time this past week or two as the ones before (although I  ventured forth to take a first look at Miami Vice, Charlie's Angels, and Vega$), the TV experiment has still been a very rewarding one, getting deeper and deeper into several series. And I have several series on DVD on order: three series I have heard good things about plus were favorites of my parents when they first aired: Kate and Allie, Northern Exposure, and Evening Shade, plus one series I have wanted to see for a long time: Moonlighting. (I finally won an Ebay bidding war to get a copy of the first set!) 

On 8/5/2020 at 1:50 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Of the original big three networks: ABC, CBS, and NBC, which one had the shows you watched the most?

NBC--with the must see Thursday night.  ABC with their TGIF lineup was probably more my demographic, but I rarely watched it.  I watched NBC's Must see Thursday night (Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld, Will & Grace) and FOX's "Animation Domination" with Simpsons and King of the Hill on Sundays; and then my soaps (90210, Melrose Place, The OC, and Party of Five. ) which I think aired on Mondays and Wednesdays on FOX--all of this from elementary school through high school. Later, I was WB/CW and watched The Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars

Other than all of that, I watched Nick at Nite.

Nowadays, I don't watch anything on any of the networks.  I'm pretty much just PBS, Food Network (to watch Chopped), FX, and TCM.  Occassionally, I watch ABC (or it might be the local station KATU) and watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune while I'm eating dinner).   Other than that, I'm watching my TCM recordings on the DVR, watching DVD/Blu Rays from my collection or borrowed/rented, and streaming (Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon, or Disney+). 

• Like 1

well lets see. about 1972 or 73 my dad took some old B&W clunkers we had, a 19" curtis-mathes in a cart, a 21" zenith console with a bad horizontal hold and a little GE B&W table model which had a dazzling crisp picture....

well sir...

he went out to a local TV Repair shop and came back with a dinosaur of a 25" motorola color TV. why I ran a magnet over the screen I'll never know. maybe I wanted to improve the color which stunk. there was a demagnetize button in the rear. my dad put it in the master bedroom and the first show I remember seeing was a variety show maybe carol burnett. the color was fun but it was faded and lacked any vibrance. just dots with no black matrix. first really fun show I watched on it was doc elliott on abc.

in 1974 on my birthday got one of the best presents a kid could get. a 10" GE portacolor. drove myself nuts with the tint and color intensity knobs.

On 8/5/2020 at 4:50 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Would depend on which year.  When I was a kid, and big on westerns, either movies or TV series, ABC had the better line-up of those.  But then CBS had the better comedies and cop shows, and NBC did too, have some faves, but I remember from year to year a different network would have the better shows than the others. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 8/5/2020 at 4:50 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Up until I was in high school, we only had two channels.  One was CBS and the other showed both ABC and NBC shows.  It would be real frustrating for the dual channel to have network promos for shows they did not show.

As for you question, I can't remember which network I watched last week, much less way back in the past.  sorry.

• Like 1