Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Homophobic Comments


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Jaragon, I thought you might enjoy this one:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.05.24 AM.png

Are you suggesting I enjoy photos of good looking shirtless male stars 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Are you suggesting I enjoy photos of good looking shirtless male stars 😉

LOL ...hey you did say he was good looking. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"I interpreted it as Walden was offended that anyone would think his "straight" partner was gay. He wanted to maintain the delusion that Primus could be a straight brother to him, marrying into his family, etc. "

That's fair but maybe Walden was hoping they would end in some police version of "Brokeback Mountain" 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jaragon said:

"I interpreted it as Walden was offended that anyone would think his "straight" partner was gay. He wanted to maintain the delusion that Primus could be a straight brother to him, marrying into his family, etc. "

That's fair but maybe Walden was hoping they would end in some police version of "Brokeback Mountain" 😉

I do wonder if this episode of The Streets of San Francisco was what they call a 'backdoor pilot' in Hollywood. You know, where they were testing the waters with this concept-- depict two experienced law enforcement partners, one straight-identified (Walden) and one now openly gay (Primus). It would have been revolutionary to get such a show on the air in the late 70s.

Billy Crystal played an openly gay character on Soap beginning the same year...also on ABC-TV. However, in many ways Jodie Dallas was a stereotype and because of the over-the-top nature of Soap, viewers never had to take him very seriously as a gay man. 

But if the network had done a weekly cop drama where Primus was one of the stars playing an openly gay man, I think that would have been groundbreaking for American television in 1977.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I do wonder if this episode of The Streets of San Francisco was what they call a 'backdoor pilot' in Hollywood. You know, where they were testing the waters with this concept-- depict two experienced law enforcement partners, one straight-identified (Walden) and one now openly gay (Primus). It would have been revolutionary to get such a show on the air in the late 70s.

Billy Crystal played an openly gay character on Soap beginning the same year...also on ABC-TV. However, in many ways Jodie Dallas was a stereotype and because of the over-the-top nature of Soap, viewers never had to take him very seriously as a gay man. 

But if the network had done a weekly cop drama where Primus was one of the stars playing an openly gay man, I think that would have been groundbreaking for American television in 1977.

Yes that would have been ground breaking a gay man as cop-  you might be right because I thought it was going to end with career destroyed because of the tape of all his "affairs"( Gee  his ex brother in law really had goo memory) but instead he is still on the force and his buddy Walden is still his partner😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Yes that would have been ground breaking a gay man as cop-  you might be right because I thought it was going to end with career destroyed because of the tape of all his "affairs"( Gee  his ex brother in law really had goo memory) but instead he is still on the force and his buddy Walden is still his partner😉

Yes. At the very least, the producers/writers were keeping things open-ended so these two could be used again in a future episode on a different case.

Usually the structure of this show, with its guest stars, dictates that if a guest is playing a cop he gets killed, goes to jail for corruption or else retires or quits the force by the end of the story. So the writers don't have to explain why so-and-so is not still working in the department with Stone in a subsequent episode. But as you say, they didn't do that here. They kept these two guys very much intact as officers who still worked there. So I bet the idea was to develop more with them later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard Hatch was on All My Children.  I think they made a Streets movie after series went off with Karl Malden and Darlene Carr (they mentioned Det. Keller).  I also liked that Malden used his real name Sukulovich as a detective.  Before the pandemic, Mark Harmon (remember his as Ted Bundy) was promoting the final Ziva episode of 2020.  He told him that Malden took him under his wing.  They were in a disaster movie and Malden told him who was the star of the disaster film:  it was the ship (I think it was one - not original P. Adventure - which was not bad for a disaster film).  Malden used an epithet that I won't type or say.

As for what to call me for supporting the rights of various communities, I just like to be known by my real first name or as the daughter of Faivel and Sarah G. (my parents' Yiddish names).

And, for the record, was appalled reading about N. Cannon's anti-Semitic comments.  There was a very bad local incident up here regarding a member of the Jewish clergy.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Richard Hatch was on All My Children.  I think they made a Streets movie after series went off with Karl Malden and Darlene Carr (they mentioned Det. Keller).  I also liked that Malden used his real name Sukulovich as a detective.  Before the pandemic, Mark Harmon (remember his as Ted Bundy) was promoting the final Ziva episode of 2020.  He told him that Malden took him under his wing.  They were in a disaster movie and Malden told him who was the star of the disaster film:  it was the ship (I think it was one - not original P. Adventure - which was not bad for a disaster film).  Malden used an epithet that I won't type or say.

As for what to call me for supporting the rights of various communities, I just like to be known by my real first name or as the daughter of Faivel and Sarah G. (my parents' Yiddish names).

And, for the record, was appalled reading about N. Cannon's anti-Semitic comments.  There was a very bad local incident up here regarding a member of the Jewish clergy.

 

Mark Harmon co-starred with Karl Malden in "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure"(1979)one of the most useless sequel in film history

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Yes. At the very least, the producers/writers were keeping things open-ended so these two could be used again in a future episode on a different case.

Usually the structure of this show, with its guest stars, dictates that if a guest is playing a cop he gets killed, goes to jail for corruption or else retires or quits the force by the end of the story. So the writers don't have to explain why so-and-so is not still working in the department with Stone in a subsequent episode. But as you say, they didn't do that here. They kept these two guys very much intact as officers who still worked there. So I bet the idea was to develop more with them later.

I agree they could have brought the pair back for another season by then the two partners would have gone beyond broboding😉 ( my fan

fiction wheels are spinning)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaragon said:

I agree they could have brought the pair back for another season by then the two partners would have gone beyond broboding😉 ( my fan

fiction wheels are spinning)

Actually I think it would be interesting to imagine what the two men would be up to now. They'd obviously both be retired from the force. But they might still do occasional detective work. 

It would certainly be interesting if during the time between 1977 and 2020, Walden's character reciprocated romantic feelings towards Primus' character and they had ended up living together. Maybe engaged.

A new TV movie would, of course, show them getting married, with the sisters of Walden's character all in attendance.

Wouldn't that be brilliant!

***

I just checked the IMDb. It indicates Robert Walden was in a movie earlier this year, after a seven year absence from the screen. So he still works occasionally. He was born in 1943.

Barry Primus was also in a movie earlier this year and still works. He was born in 1938.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be a Jewish wedding?  Reading the Style Section of the Sunday NY Times, I have seen many same-sex Jewish weddings.  Also, in The Comedian, there is a Jewish marriage between Danny De Vito's daughter and a woman (Danny is De Niro's brother, and he makes a way too inappropriate toast to the couple).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Jaragon, I thought you might enjoy this one:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.05.24 AM.png

Great pic of young Richard Hatch !

 

The year before Richard did his co-starring gig in Streets of San Francisco, he did an obscure little movie called Best Friends. His co-star in that film was another young actor, Doug Chapin.  The movie was about two young guys, Jesse (Richard Hatch) and Pat (Doug Chapin), lifelong friends, who'd grown up together, and are now being discharged after a stint in the Army together. They both have girlfriends, and are doing a cross-country trip in a rented RV, heading home. They both plan on settling down, getting married, and raising families. Jesse is the conventional, sensible, good-looking one, while Pat is a bit unconventional and unpredictable.

In the course of their journey home, it soon becomes obvious that Jesse and his girlfriend are in love and planning for their future together, while Pat is increasingly upset about the prospect of getting married and settling down. He really wants nothing more than to resume his happy-go-lucky, carefree life with his buddy Jesse.  And so some tension develops between them. Pat becomes increasingly obsessed with disrupting the relationship between Jesse and his girlfriend. Ultimately, the film ends on a sad, tragic note, with no resolution in sight.

The movie , as far as I know, was very, very low-budget, and probably wasn't shown in cinemas. It was from 1975, and likely played in drive-ins. The surface plot was the conflict between the two lifelong buddies, who now had different goals in life. The two girlfriends were young, nubile, very pretty, and they too had quite a bit of character-development as the film proceeded, and we got to know them.

But the most intriguing thing about the movie was that, without openly stating it at all, there plainly was a homoerotic (gay) subtext to it. Pat was clearly in love with Jesse, and likely hoping for an intimate relationship with him down the road. Pat couldn't deal with the idea of Jesse moving on and getting married.  (Pat isn't a very sympathetic character, and actually is something of a psychopath).  I don't think that most drive-in spectators caught onto that at all,  and there was plenty of heterosexual activity in the film to keep them interested. But any gay guy watching the movie clearly saw that the relationship between Pat and Jesse didn't consist only of being good friends. The relationship obviously involved unrequited love  on the part of Pat.

The movie came out in the mid-seventies, quite a while before any mainstream movie dealt with gay relationships,  and so any gay subtext had to be hidden beneath the surface.  I saw it in the late 1970s on late-night television, and then it dropped out of sight. Then I located it on YouTube a few years ago, and re-watched it. It's clearly a low-budget film, it has a downbeat ending, and it never went anywhere. But it did do a good job of bringing a gay relationship onto the screen, as closeted and covert as it may have been.

Best Friends was evidently the last acting gig that Doug Chapin ever did. Afterwards, he went into movie production, and was active right through until the end of the 1990s. Ironically, before he did Best Friends, he too did some guest-roles on Street of San Francisco. Richard went on to stardom in Battlestar Galactica, and although he never experienced major stardom after that, he had a full, solid acting career up until just a few years ago, when he passed away from pancreatic-cancer at age 71.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Actually I think it would be interesting to imagine what the two men would be up to now. They'd obviously both be retired from the force. But they might still do occasional detective work. 

It would certainly be interesting if during the time between 1977 and 2020, Walden's character reciprocated romantic feelings towards Primus' character and they had ended up living together. Maybe engaged.

A new TV movie would, of course, show them getting married, with the sisters of Walden's character all in attendance.

Wouldn't that be brilliant!

***

I just checked the IMDb. It indicates Robert Walden was in a movie earlier this year, after a seven year absence from the screen. So he still works occasionally. He was born in 1943.

Barry Primus was also in a movie earlier this year and still works. He was born in 1938.

Yes they are active- so I would hire to play the gay couple now and then flash back to their crime fighting career

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Streets of San Francisco" worth getting on DVD- look and sound better than on you tube and one can really appreciate the beauty of young Richard Hatch ( if that is your sort of thing)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaragon said:

"The Streets of San Francisco" worth getting on DVD- look and sound better than on you tube and one can really appreciate the beauty of young Richard Hatch ( if that is your sort of thing)

I told Jlewis about our discussion in this thread. I think he came by and read some of the comments, because I see he clicked "like" on a few of them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 11:48 AM, jaragon said:

"The Streets of San Francisco" worth getting on DVD- look and sound better than on you tube and one can really appreciate the beauty of young Richard Hatch ( if that is your sort of thing)

Intriguingly the first three seasons are being sold in a box set at Big Lots , of all places, for under $15. However those are the ones with Michael Douglas instead. Yet I have a feeling the others may also be available at the stores like that if you search in your neck of the woods.  No, I did not get any of this series because I have a ton of DVDs already covering complete seasons of I Love Lucy, Twilight Zone, Bewitched, Land of the Lost, Dallas, Golden Girls, Lost, etc. Yeah... my tastes are all over the map!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jlewis said:

Intriguingly the first three seasons are being sold in a box set at Big Lots , of all places, for under $15. However those are the ones with Michael Douglas instead. Yet I have a feeling the others may also be available at the stores like that if you search in your neck of the woods.  No, I did not get any of this series because I have a ton of DVDs already covering complete seasons of I Love Lucy, Twilight Zone, Bewitched, Land of the Lost, Dallas, Lost, etc. Yeah... my tastes are all over the map!

I bought the Richard Hatch season for ten bucks on Amazon- yes I have too many DVDs sets too some of which I haven't even watched.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...