Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory 1971

I was thinking earlier today.  You know the advertisement where Ben’s standing by the swimming pool?  Talking about all the fans?  I think it’s the pool at the Hollywood Rosevelt actually.  I’m guessing.  Of course they’ve shown some Gene Wilder movies from time to time.  Including some Mel Brooks movies he’s been in.  You know how they show some parts of some movies while he’s talking and Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory is one of them?  Well.  I was wondering.  Have they ever actually shown Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory on here?  My guess is yes.  Probably like once or twice or something.

• Like 1

This movie can prominently be found in the big Walmart $5 bin in every Walmart in America.  How about TCM air some Criterion Collection films that most people don’t have $40 to buy or subscribe to their channel.

• Like 2

Yeah, I have to say that Charlie's Chocolate, Muppets and Johnny Carson ducks aren't exactly at the top of the list of movies I'd love to see on TCM either.

This movie was screened in a big classic vintage theater one Father's Day maybe 5-6 years ago. I had last seen it as a 11 y/o when it first came out.

Now in my  50's, I found it pretty entertaining, well paced, well written, cool looking & thought Gene Wilder was great. While I'm not fond of any of the songs, I liked the sentiment & story book feel of the movie, the end made me cry a little.

The boy who played Charlie is a local vet here. (and like all vets-handsome!) Everyone had hoped he would attend the screening but he did not.

• Like 1

WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY has been a childhood favorite of mine since I was five. I loved it then and I still love it now.

All the child actors were great ( particularly Julie Dawn Cole, who played the insufferably bratty Veruca Salt).

Interestingly this was both the film debut and film finale of Peter Ostrum, who decided stardom just wasn't for him, and went back to living a regular childhood.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Have they ever actually shown Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory on here?  My guess is yes.  Probably like once or twice or something.

According to MovieCollector's invaluable list, it's been shown 3 times, the last in 2004.  Time for another showing.  Gene Wilder demonstrates how a brilliant performance can save an otherwise wretched movie.  And there is a fine song that has become a standard.  No, not that one, it's called "Pure Imagination."

• Thanks 1

Nice typing and singing.  I love this song too.  It’s one of my favorites.  I love the movie too.  The movie’s one of my favorites too and Gene Wilder was a really wonderful actor too.  Wasn’t he?  When I went to New York a few years ago.  For my very first time ever.  I saw Charlie And The Chocolate Factory The Broadway Musical on Broadway.  Right when it first came to Broadway too.  Brand new.  It was fantastic.  The whole cast was so wonderful and so amazing.  Especially the guy who played Willy Wonka and the guy who played Grandpa Joe and Jack Albertson who played Grandpa Joe in the movie.  As we all know.  Was actually a very good friend of his and he was another really wonderful actor too.  Wasn’t he?  The whole cast was great.  The scenery was great.  The sets were great.  The music was great and we got great seats too.  Second row.  It was quite an experience.  I had a blast.  I just loved it.  The Original Broadway Cast and everything.  I’ve got the CD too.  You could check out the Original Broadway Cast on Good Morning America on YouTube.  Enjoy.  So they actually haven’t shown the movie here on TCM since 2004 ha?  Maybe we could start requesting it and maybe they’ll show it again sometime.  I would love to see it here on TCM.