Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

27 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

When I went to Fiji, I was told about him raising orchids.  He went up and down weight wise.  He was a good actor in films and on TV.

As far as the Ed Wood post, is it about the director or the movie with Johnny Depp and Martin Landau.  It may be a bad movie, but Plan 9 From Outer Space is so tacky it is funny.

There are many gay characters on TV.  I think Edie Falco was gay on her CBS series (not sure if it was cancelled) and the black rookie on The Rookie is gay.  If he is in real life, I neither know or care.

Something many of us forget about or did not know, was that, in England, homosexuality was a criminal offense.  There is a great Dirk Bogard film about it.  And Ian M. has talked about it.

The Bogard film is Victim (1961).

Britain was not alone.  Most of the world had such laws at the time the film was made.  Homosexual acts are still illegal today in many countries (punishable by death in some), mostly in Africa and the Middle East, or where Islamic law prevails. 

The U.S. lagged behind most Western countries in this respect.  In the U.S., the last of these laws were overturned in 2003,  when the U.S. Supreme Court, in Lawrence v. Texas, reversed its previous ruling in a separate case from the 1980s.  The case came about from a 1998 case in the Houston area where two men were arrested in an apartment and charged with a misdemeanor for engaging in sex.  Until 2003, such acts were still illegal in some 13 or 14 states.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

The Bogard film is Victim (1961).

Britain was not alone.  Most of the world had such laws at the time the film was made.  Homosexual acts are still illegal today in many countries (punishable by death in some), mostly in Africa and the Middle East, or where Islamic law prevails. 

The U.S. lagged behind most Western countries in this respect.  In the U.S., the last of these laws were overturned in 2003,  when the U.S. Supreme Court, in Lawrence v. Texas, reversed its previous ruling in a separate case from the 1980s.  The case came about from a 1998 case in the Houston area where two men were arrested in an apartment and charged with a misdemeanor for engaging in sex.  Until 2003, such acts were still illegal in some 13 or 14 states.

Hard to believe that people are still punished for private acts between consenting adults in the 21st Century

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

What a find. And you picked the best scene to show what was going on between those two. Not sure Shatner really nailed the accent or the character but the script is so strong that it still works well. It's amazing what was done for live television back in the day. I can see something like this on Great Performances on PBS now, but never on network television. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DougieB said:

What a find. And you picked the best scene to show what was going on between those two. Not sure Shatner really nailed the accent or the character but the script is so strong that it still works well. It's amazing what was done for live television back in the day. I can see something like this on Great Performances on PBS now, but never on network television. 

Twenty five year old Shatner might have not gotten the accent right but he looks every inch the part of the beautiful doomed sailor.  Douglas Campbell plays Claggart the man who obviously lust after Billy. The gay subtext of the story is very clear in this scene

14 hours ago, DougieB said:

This was an episode of General Motors Presents, an anthology series produced and aired by  CBC.  ABC carried it for a very short time, where it was called Encounter.

This episode was from 1955.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1