Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The "What A Character" Series thread

19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I höpe this dœsnt øffënd anï höf yöu, but JOHN QUAYLEN’s “yumpin yimenny” SVEDIÏSH schtick gets øld fæst with me.

Yea, that is true,  which is why I liked Quaylen's role in The Big Steal.    But Stanley Kramer should have cast Quaylen in the role of Oley in Not as a Stranger instead of Harry Morgan.  The dinner scene with DeHavilland and her over the top accent along with Morgan,  always makes me laugh.      

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I höpe this dœsnt øffënd anï höf yöu, but JOHN QUAYLEN’s “yumpin yimenny” SVEDIÏSH schtick gets øld fæst with me.

I so agree.  I appreciate him but, even for a character actor, he seems to do this same schtick again and again and again.  That's why I am intrigued to check him out as a bad guy.

Eric Blore is one of my favorite character actors.    He was in so many great films:

Flying Down to Rio,  The Gay Divorcee,   Top Hat,   The Ex Mrs. Bradford,   Swing Time,   Shall We Dance,  It's Love I"m After,   Breakfast for Two,  The Lady Eve, Sullivan Travels, and was Warren William side-kick in the Lone Wolf film series.   

His oddest role is in The Shanghai Gesture as a bookkeeper.    

This is from It's Love I"m After (which also stars Bette Davis and Olivia deHavilland).  

Eric Blore: What a Character! – The Motion Pictures

• Like 3
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Eric Blore is one of my favorite character actors.    He was in so many great films

Since I started my love of classic film discovering the Astaire/Rogers films, Eric Blore was the first charactor actor I noticed/named. It didn't matter that he played the same guy in every movie, his inclusion always added a lot of funny quips.

I recently realized similar Franklin Pangborn was in a TON of movies:

Franklin_Pangborn_in_Topper_Takes_a_Trip

Essentially playing the same kind of support. Both these forever "butlers" were best when given the key to the unraveling of the story-a quick chance to shine- delivered with impact & humor.

Franklin+Pangborn+in+Stage+Door+(1937).j

Not a bad way to earn a living.

• Like 3

Not Blore so much, but do always love to catch Qualen and Ritter in any movie I happen to see them in.  My earliest recollection of Thelma in a movie was her spot in REAR WINDOW.  STILL can't figure out how she folds that big bed sheet so damn near perfect while all the time talking!  :o

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Since I started my love of classic film discovering the Astaire/Rogers films, Eric Blore was the first charactor actor I noticed/named. It didn't matter that he played the same guy in every movie, his inclusion always added a lot of funny quips.

I recently realized similar Franklin Pangborn was in a TON of movies:

Franklin_Pangborn_in_Topper_Takes_a_Trip

Essentially playing the same kind of support. Both these forever "butlers" were best when given the key to the unraveling of the story-a quick chance to shine- delivered with impact & humor.

Franklin+Pangborn+in+Stage+Door+(1937).j

Not a bad way to earn a living.

I remember him being the "substitute talent" on a radio program who never got to go on until the night Shirley Temple pretended to be sick (I think this was Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm) so FP finally got his chance.  He's always great and I realized not too long ago that he worked on TV, too after the studio system ended. Long career.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, lydecker said:

Hmmm.  Have they ever done a What A Character for Allen Jenkins?  If not, it's way past due.

220px-Allen_Jenkins_in_Havana_Widows_trailer.jpg

Jenkins was a key member of the Warner Bros Irish Mafia,  lead by Cagney and O'Brien.    While he was a solid comic he also did some serious roles like Bogie's right-hand-man in Dead End or Five Came Back.

Sometimes WB even gave him a leading role from time to time;  Like Torch Blane - Playing with Dynamite;    Final film in the series where Wyman replaced Farrell and Jenkins took over for Bart MacLane.

Jenkins even played the role of Drake in a Warren William Perry Mason film; Spudsy Drake, Mason's private investigator,  in The Case of the Lucky Legs.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Jenkins was a key member of the Warner Bros Irish Mafia,  lead by Cagney and O'Brien.    While he was a solid comic he also did some serious roles like Bogie's right-hand-man in Dead End or Five Came Back.

Sometimes WB even gave him a leading role from time to time;  Like Torch Blane - Playing with Dynamite;    Final film in the series where Wyman replaced Farrell and Jenkins took over for Bart MacLane.

Jenkins even played the role of Drake in a Warren William Perry Mason film; Spudsy Drake, Mason's private investigator,  in The Case of the Lucky Legs.

I had forgotten about Five Came Back.  He's wonderful in that.  He's one of my favorite character actors ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, HelenBaby2 said:

Ritter was very good in The Mating Season. 

Thelma received Supporting Oscar nods for All About Eve, The Mating Season, With a Song in My Heart, Pickup on South Street, Pillow Talk, and Birdman of Alcatraz.  Unfortunately, no wins.

• Like 1

For some reason, I misread this thread several days ago and saw Hattie McDaniel instead of Butterfly McQueen.  I don't know what is meant by "character" actor, but I always enjoy Jack Carson, James Gleason, Felix Breshart (sp?), and SZ Sakall, and Edna May Oliver.  As for black or African American actors/actresses, I always liked the dignity of Louise Beavers because she played against the "Mammy" or not-too-bright black individual (think Eddie Rochester or Butterfly McQueen).

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

For some reason, I misread this thread several days ago and saw Hattie McDaniel instead of Butterfly McQueen.  I don't know what is meant by "character" actor, but I always enjoy Jack Carson, James Gleason, Felix Breshart (sp?), and SZ Sakall, and Edna May Oliver.  As for black or African American actors/actresses, I always liked the dignity of Louise Beavers because she played against the "Mammy" or not-too-bright black individual (think Eddie Rochester or Butterfly McQueen).

The two best films McQueen was in also featured Hattie McDaniel:  Gone with the Wind and Affectionately Yours. 

Otherwise McQueen didn't have much of a career as an actress,   either in un-credited roles or very minor roles in films like Flame of Barbary Coast or Duel in the Sun.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Otherwise McQueen didn't have much of a career as an actress,   either in un-credited roles or very minor roles in films like Flame of Barbary Coast or Duel in the Sun.

But she has a good short bit in THE WOMEN (1939)...

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

I saw Jessie Ralph over the wknd. Isn't she new?

Newish...  She was in the  group just prior to this one. As I look back it was around this time last year.  Hard to believe it's already been a year.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Strange. I never saw her before.

Funny thing is when I saw it the other day I wasn't entirely sure I had that one in my collection. Had to check my records to be sure.  Jessie Ralph was added about the same time as Mildred Natwick.