Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ralph Graves - Howar Hughes

I was doing some digging on actor Ralph Graves who was popular leading man in the pre code era.   He convinced Howar Hughes to produce his first movie " Swell Hogan" (1926)which Hughes felt was so bad it was never released.  Graves later claimed he had a sexual relationship with Hughes.  I've read rumors about Hughes being a bisexual before but I find these two interesting. Graves co-starred with Ramon Novarro .

I'm dying over "Swell Hogan", which I assume was the lead character's name. Straight out of the Henry Willson playbook. From what you're saying and what I've heard previously, it seems as though Hughes and Willson may have had something in common, grooming personal favorites for their "stables", though Willson obviously focused almost exclusively on men and Hughes more on women.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm dying over "Swell Hogan", which I assume was the lead character's name. Straight out of the Henry Willson playbook. From what you're saying and what I've heard previously, it seems as though Hughes and Willson may have had something in common, grooming personal favorites for their "stables", though Willson obviously focused almost exclusively on men and Hughes more on women.

Yes "Swell Hogan" was the main character. Interesting comparison between Willson and Hughes- but of course Hughes had more power over his proteges.  I'm really curios about the "relationship" between Hughes and Graves. Graves was an employee at one of the Hughe's father factory so they must have met  when they were very young.     Graves did convince Hughes to finance "Swell Hogan" but I wonder the real reason why he did not release it? ( yes my writer mind is spinning)

39 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Yes "Swell Hogan" was the main character. Interesting comparison between Willson and Hughes- but of course Hughes had more power over his proteges.  I'm really curios about the "relationship" between Hughes and Graves. Graves was an employee at one of the Hughe's father factory so they must have met  when they were very young.     Graves did convince Hughes to finance "Swell Hogan" but I wonder the real reason why he did not release it? ( yes my writer mind is spinning)

From what I read, not only was it not released, it was deliberately destroyed.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

From what I read, not only was it not released, it was deliberately destroyed.

Yes but I wonder why? Was it that bad?

17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Do we have some pics of these two guys...pics of Graves together with Hughes?

I'm looking- I'm looking

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jaragon said:

I'm looking- I'm looking

Thanks. I'd never heard of Ralph Graves before.

We talked about Hughes and Jack Beutel in a different thread.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. I'd never heard of Ralph Graves before.

We talked about Hughes and Jack Beutel in a different thread.

I had never heard of Ralph Graves either until I started googling for pre code Hollywood images- I really do believe this Hughes-Graves romance story.   Hughes was famous womanizer but maybe he was using this to cover up another aspect of his sexuality.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I had never heard of Ralph Graves either until I started googling for pre code Hollywood images- I really do believe this Hughes-Graves romance story.   Hughes was famous womanizer but maybe he was using this to cover up another aspect of his sexuality.

Or that he liked both sexes and felt he could have both whenever he wanted.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Or that he liked both sexes and felt he could have both whenever he wanted.

I was disappointed that he was so straight in "The Aviator" I'm sure DeCaprio could have gotten his bromantic bud Toby McGuire to play Graves.  But seriously yeah maybe Hughes might have been bisexual and he was attractive enough to get it from both sexes

4 hours ago, jaragon said:

I was disappointed that he was so straight in "The Aviator" I'm sure DeCaprio could have gotten his bromantic bud Toby McGuire to play Graves.  But seriously yeah maybe Hughes might have been bisexual and he was attractive enough to get it from both sexes

And rich enough.