Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Peter Cushing SOTM October 2020

I was hoping Bela Lugosi would finally be recognized but Peter Cushing is an excellent choice ( he was my second choice).   I've always  enjoyed his work.  He is outstanding as Van Helsing and the perfect villain in many of the Frankenstein films.    Although his horror credits are substantial there are so many other roles in which he excelled.    It's nice to see him honored with a SOTM .  A true English gentleman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome news! I always enjoyed Peter Cushing in just about anything he did, he was always fun to watch even in the most dismal of films.

He was also my favorite Dr. Van Helsing as well. And I find his Dr. Frankenstein is a lot more complicated and complex the more I watch the Hammer Frankenstein films.

He was such a great actor.

• Like 2

screen-shot-2020-07-26-at-7.48.57-am.jpeg

Films to be screened in October:

Monday October 5th

CASH ON DEMAND (1961)
THE END OF THE AFFAIR (1955)
TIME WITHOUT PITY (1957)
JOHN PAUL JONES (1959)
HAMLET (1948)

Monday October 12th

SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST (1960)
DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS (1965)
DALEKS - INVASION EARTH 2150 A.D. (1966)
SHE (1965)
VIOLENT PLAYGROUND (1958)
IN SAIGON: SOME MAY LIVE (1967)

Monday October 19th

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959)
HORROR OF DRACULA (1958)
THE MUMMY (1959)
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN (1967)
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED! (1970)

Monday October 26th

NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT (1972)
MADHOUSE (1974)
FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE (1973)
SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN (1970)
THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (1973)
DRACULA A.D. 1972 (1972)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hammer Films did all of us a favor when they teamed Sir Peter Cushing with Sir Christopher Lee and remade all of the classic Universal Horror Films in color.  Nobody did it better!  So glad he made such an indelible mark as Grand Moff Tarkin in the first Star Wars movie and let the rest of the world know what an excellent actor he was.☺

7 hours ago, Colby said:

Hammer Films did all of us a favor when they teamed Sir Peter Cushing with Sir Christopher Lee and remade all of the classic Universal Horror Films in color.  Nobody did it better!  So glad he made such an indelible mark as Grand Moff Tarkin in the first Star Wars movie and let the rest of the world know what an excellent actor he was.☺

In a few instances Hammer teamed with Universal.

For example, in 1962 they co-produced a remake of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA with Universal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_of_the_Opera_(1962_film)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed Peter Cushing month!

He is an actor who for whatever reason I've never seen that much of. I think perhaps it's because he made the bulk of his films in the 1960's and that is my least favorite era of classic film.

In so many of the films which were shown, Christopher Lee was really the main attraction for me and he is what I usually remember in Hammer films. This time, I focused  my attention on Cushing rather than Lee and really began to appreciate his refined, more quiet  style of acting.

I wish some of the BBC TV series in which he appeared were available.

I did find the  1954 BBC TV version of "1984"  starring Cushing, if anyone is interested in watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TxFaZ0K754