Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dame Olivia de Havilland (1916-2020)

1 hour ago, rosebette said:

That phrase is used for someone who has a special quality that can't be explained.  I'm still trying to find out what Brent's special quality is -- although apparently, Bette Davis also had a romantic relationship with him.

Garbo did too. George had something.....

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Garbo did too. George had something.....

Bette Davis' line to Geraldine Fitzgerald when Fitzgerald tells her that she hasn't slept with GB . . ."Well, you're the only woman on the lot who hasn't!"

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, rosebette said:

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone pining over George Brent, but so many actresses are in roles where that's called for -- Bette Davis (several times), Olivia, Barbara Stanwyck...  

Well, Rose I have been pining over him since I was 10 years -old and first saw him in  "Dark Victory".

He was a top Hollywood consort in the golden age to the top movie star leading ladies.

And you have to say something about a guy who married two of his movie star leading ladies, while one declined. ( You can all guess who that was.)

I guess you have to say 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

cmgzn0lk4vbo4l.jpg?skj2io4l

"I always hoped I'd see you again, Errol. Have you been a  good boy?"

"Well, of course I have, darling. I've been waiting all this time only for you."

"Liar . . ."

"Well, old girl, it's only been 50 years. You can't expect me to have completely changed."

• Haha 9
3 hours ago, skimpole said:

The earliest "Best Actress" performance to be given by a living actress is now Joanne Woodward's in The Three Faces of Eve.  Eva Marie Saint won a supporting oscar for her performance in On the Waterfront three years earlier.

Now that the last major performer in Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Gone with the Wind is dead, what is the oldest movie with a major performer still alive?  I'm thinking Jane Eyre and Meet me in St. Louis with Margaret O'Brien, but does anyone have other suggestions?

"Pride and Prejudice" from 1939.  Marsha Hunt was one of the Bennett sisters.  She turns 103 in October.  She and Norman Lloyd (turns 104 in November) are the only centenarians from 'classic Hollywood' that I can think of.  I think someone mentioned in another thread several weeks ago that Glynnis Johns recently turned 96 or 97.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, skimpole said:

Now that the last major performer in Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Gone with the Wind is dead, what is the oldest movie with a major performer still alive?  I'm thinking Jane Eyre and Meet me in St. Louis with Margaret O'Brien, but does anyone have other suggestions?

Norman Lloyd is a major player in Saboteur, and Marsha Hunt is a major player in Kid Glove Killer, both of which came out in 1942.

(Of course, Journey for Margaret came out earlier.  And you can argue Jane Withers is an integral part of movies like Bright Eyes.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I wonder what's become of Olivia's memoirs? RO said on air she was writing them (and he should know) probably 15 yrs or more ago. Did she never complete them? Or will they be published after her death?

I wonder if Darwin Porter will come out with his book about the 2 sisters. It was called Twisted Sisters and was to be published a decade or more ago, but it was pulled just days from publication and never has been published. I wonder if the publisher was afraid Olivia would sue? (LOL)

Like many, I knew this day would come, and I dreaded it.  For me she was the last link to the Golden Age, going back even beyond the 1940s to the mid-1930s.  Unbelievable.  Not only was Olivia a talented actress (The Heiress and The Snake Pit alone place her heads above most others), she had class, dignity, strength, and intelligence.  I wrote about her, twice, on my blog and learned a lot that I never previously knew.  She bemoaned how American values had sunk abysmally, and lauded the European Union (EU) for helping secure European peace for 75 years.  She wasn't afraid to take on the Goliath of Hollywood, not once but twice.  And for my money, she had the most striking big brown eyes this side of Natalie Wood!

Here's to you, Ms. de Havilland.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Fedya said:

Norman Lloyd is a major player in Saboteur, and Marsha Hunt is a major player in Kid Glove Killer, both of which came out in 1942.

(Of course, Journey for Margaret came out earlier.  And you can argue Jane Withers is an integral part of movies like Bright Eyes.)

In terms of who is still living that in the oldest movie, though not in a major role, I believe Marilyn Knowlden is still alive.  She has a lovely scene early in Anthony Adverse. That was 1936, but her first film was in 1931.

• Thanks 1

I recently watched THE HEIRESS and shared that movie with my sweetie.

Earlier this summer we watched THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, which had both seen before but not together.

I think we'll watch either MY COUSIN RACHEL or HUSH . . . HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE in the next few days --- or maybe both.

Olivia is one Actress I never get tired of watching. Her , Davis, Lana Turner and Deborah Kerr.

I found that the last surviving member of GWTW is  Mickey a Kuhn aka Theodore Matthew Michael Kuhn Jr. He played her son Beau in the film. He is 87 years old.

We may have to wait until September for TCM to honor her but it will be worth the wait. I know they will do right by this amazing actress.

Honorable mention for the stars still with us, Marge Champion will be 101 in September, Janis Paige will be 98 in September, Jimmy Lydon of Henry Aldrich fame is 97, Rhonda Fleming will be 97 next month and Rex Downing who played Heathcliff as a boy in Wuthering Heights  and Tyrone Power’s character as a boy in Blood and Sand is 95 years old.

The oldest living Oscar winner is now Sidney Poitier, who is 93 years old.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

The oldest living Oscar winner is now Sidney Poitier, who is 93 years old.

Eva Marie Saint turned 96 on Independence Day.

See the source image

• Thanks 2