Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dame Olivia de Havilland (1916-2020)

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

MICKEY ROONEY was also nominated, can't remember the name of the film tho

The Bold And The Brave. When Quinn won the award, Rooney turned to Robert Stack in the row behind him and said "We wuz robbed"

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Bold And The Brave. When Quinn won the award, Rooney turned to Robert Stack in the row behind him and said "We wuz robbed"

Thank you! my copy of INSIDE OSCAR fell apart a few years back, And I had to throw it out. I haven’t replaced it and I’ve gotten a little rusty on my history

• Like 1

Was always dreading this news. Olivia de Havilland was the last great classic Hollywood star, and with her passing ends an era when stories and stars reigned supreme. It may have been the stuff that dreams are made of, and a kind of fairy tale existence, but that is what classic movies still give us and helps people through there own hardships in life. It's a major reason why TCM is such a beloved outlet for so many people.  Looking back at the life of Miss de Havilland, we see a woman who forged her own path, in her profession and personal life, and a woman who was a supreme guardian of the image she projected in the world.  She is to be remembered as the last great actress of classic Hollywood and for her sheer willpower and classiness in an increasingly chaotic world. For anyone who grew up loving classic films, and long after that era has come and gone, this is like a chapter forever closing.  When you discover classic Hollywood films in your teens and become a devoted cinephile ever after, the passing of a favorite star like Olivia is a sort of gut punch that we all have an expiration date, but some people like de Havilland help to make that a little less of a harbinger for each of us when we have so  many of her wonderful performances to marvel in and take inspiration from.  Her performance in The Heiress has to be one of the most controlled and yet sympathetic characterizations ever filmed.  RIP Miss De H.  Looking forward to watching your best performances all day on August 23.  A devoted fan and admirer!  

• Like 4

OLIVIA FANS:  AUGUST 23!!!! MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!  So happy TCM decided to add Ms. D to the Summer Under the Stars viewing lineup.  And her greatest performance (GWTW) is included, along with her other Oscar-winning performances (The Heiress and To Each His Own).

An added bit of trivia for movie buffs.     Did you know Oliva was a PASSIONATE cat fan? 😻 She had MANY cats in her life and a special fondness for Siamese.  Here's a picture, taken in 1948.  I love this shot because her cat's claws are prominent, extended, as if ready to pounce.     Such a fitting reflection of Olivia's film image and personality (a sweet, lovely, graceful exterior but underneath all steel, strength and grit).    Or perhaps the photo was strategic on her part:  a not-so veiled "warning" to studio bosses:  "Don't mess with me boys!!!  I will kick your a.. in court and WIN!!!")😈 LOL

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I meant this week (or last, I guess).

It looks like Regis is on this week's People (at least according to People's website, I haven't actually been to the store).  What's hilarious is that my joke scenario with Prince Harry and Meaghan on the cover with Olivia de Havilland in the corner is partially true--Harry and Meaghan are in the corner of Regis' cover page! 

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It looks like Regis is on this week's People (at least according to People's website, I haven't actually been to the store).  What's hilarious is that my joke scenario with Prince Harry and Meaghan on the cover with Olivia de Havilland in the corner is partially true--Harry and Meaghan are in the corner of Regis' cover page! 

You really called it!

PEOPLE Weekly Magazine   AUGUST 10,  2020   REGIS PHILBIN Goodbye

• Like 1
13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

LOL! Sad

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL! Sad

Well Prince Harry and Meghan (apparently I didn't know how to spell her name.  I knew an H was in there somewhere) have been whining that they don't have any privacy.  Because obviously, when you want privacy, you move to Los Angeles--so I figured that their "plight" would sell some magazines, and People is more respectable than something like Star or US Weekly. So People would more than likely get the scoop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

LOL! Sad

But not surprising.  I'd imagine if you ask 100 people under the age of 40 who she was, 95 of them would have no clue (if that).

I just did today's NY Times Crossword, and there are a ton of complaints about the puzzle skewing too old because it contained clues and answers regarding Theda Bara, Desi Arnaz, Dame Edna, "God's Little Acre" (the book), and "Heaven's Gate", which is only 40 years old.

Fame, alas, is fleeting...

2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

But not surprising.  I'd imagine if you ask 100 people under the age of 40 who she was, 95 of them would have no clue (if that).

I just did today's NY Times Crossword, and there are a ton of complaints about the puzzle skewing too old because it contained clues and answers regarding Theda Bara, Desi Arnaz, Dame Edna, "God's Little Acre" (the book), and "Heaven's Gate", which is only 40 years old.

Fame, alas, is fleeting...

Not a surprise. I do the new crossword in The Daily Beast every morning. It's full of clues about current names and topics.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/crossword-puzzles?tdb_source=crosswords&tdb_medium=nav_button_cheat

11 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Not a surprise. I do the new crossword in The Daily Beast every morning. It's full of clues about current names and topics.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/crossword-puzzles?tdb_source=crosswords&tdb_medium=nav_button_cheat

Same thing happens in the NYT puzzle if there are "too many" current celebrities or pop culture.  The older folks complain.

• Haha 1