Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would Like to See As Guest Programmer

Are there any celebrities that you would like to see as Guest Programmer on TCM/

The second question that goes along with this have you ever been disappointed with a guest program (celebrity).

I have three instances where I was disappointed:

1) Drew Scott of the Property Brothers made a complete idiot of himself - talk about the films and we don't need to see you doing pushups.  I was out of the room and I misunderstood something my Mom said before To Kill a Mockingbird - I was surprised that Drew S. knew about HUAC - my Mom said it was Ben M. who made the comment

2) Carol Burnett and Ileana Douglas discussing Born Yesterday - two second of Judy Holliday and then it was all about Carol

3) Stephanie Powers dissing Judy Holliday (because she had been with William Holden towards the end of his life) before introducing Born Yesterday.  She seems to have forgotten 1) Judy was in the stage version of the movie and 2) she was in Adam's Rib (which helped land her the role)

I'm not sure which living celebrities I would like to see as guest programmers.

Maybe Robert Duvall, Gene Hackman, Maggie Smith, Robbie Robertson, some authors, etc.

And it might be interesting to see whom you want them to interact with (e.g., Eddie or Alicia rather than Ben)

• Like 2

Taika Waititi. Dude makes me laugh even when he's not trying. Come to think of it, he would make a good regular host for Underground, too!

• Like 3

I'd love to see Rita Moreno as a Guest Programmer. 

Also Sidney Poitier, if he's up to it.

Not a fan of when they bring in stand-up comics or D-list "stars" to introduce movies. Would rather see people who are more than fans, people who have actual insights because they were there when the movies were made...or they are the offspring of a well-known deceased star who heard stories at home about the making of Movie X.

• Like 2

Kermit the Frog was a guest. Why not an animated one?

Ralph the Wonder Llama! could introduce:  The Emperor's New Groove (2000), Secret of the Incas (1954), Dr. Cyclops (1940) and Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975).

The Geico Gecko could introduce:  Double Indemnity (1944), The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), Hook Line and Sinker (1930) and One Body Too Many (1944).

I would also very much like to see a soot sprite from: My Neighbor Totoro (1988) be a Guest Programmer but I fear they would chose only dirty movies.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

Kermit the Frog was a guest. Why not an animated one?

Jordan Peterson is similar-sounding to Kermit - maybe we could get him.

I would like to see Spike Lee who teaches film at New York University.

Kenneth Branagh might be interesting, Tyler Perry, would Love to know what films influenced this amazing guy.  For the fun of it, Eddie Murphy.

For women, two time Oscar Winners Jodie Foster,  and Sally Fields. Oscar winner, Ms. Rita Moreno,  Oscar winner Shirley Jones and Oscar winner and overlooked Director Barbra Streisand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mel Brooks.

Kermit The Frog.

All the Muppets together.

Tim Allen.

Mel Brooks could also talk about his Young Frankenstein book.  Which I’m reading right now and which I’m really enjoying and really loving a whole lot and his relationship with Carl Reiner.  Which I’m really looking forward to his tribute tomorrow night.  I’ll be tivoing it and watching it.  I can’t wait.  I also choose Kermit The Frog.  Because I missed him when he was a guest programmer with Robert Osbourne in 2007 and I would really love to see him.  I hear he was so funny and Robert Osbourne was really cracking up.  I also choose he and all the Muppets together.  So they could promote their new Disney+ show.  Coming to Disney+.  It’s called Muppets Now.  It premires and starts on Disney+ this Friday July 31st.  I’m really looking forward to it.  I can’t wait.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Sally Field did a stint with Robert Osborne on The Essentials.

Prior to that she had been a guest programmer which I think was her "audition" for the Essentials gig.

• Thanks 1

Bill Murray did an interview with Elvis Mitchell where he praised Jean Arthur.  He might be interesting.

I would also like to see Warren Beatty, Stephen Colbert, Alex Trebek, John McEnroe or Roger Federer, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, if he was up to it, like Potier, Harry Belafonte.  I would like to catch many of these old stars before we lose them.  George Segal may provide some interesting picks; also Betty White.

De Niro might be interesting, but he might talk politics (same with Streep).

Maybe a group interview with Rob Reiner and Spinal Tap Members (can include wives - Annette O'Toole and Jamie Lee Curtis)

• Like 2

There are many I'd love to have on TCM as guest programmers.

Russ Tamblyn, Carroll Baker, Claire Bloom, Terence Stamp, Michael Caine, and Clint Eastwood would all be great.

Jamie Lee Curtis would be an easy choice.

I've been waiting years for Al Pacino to be on TCM. 

Has Francis Ford Coppola ever been on TCM? Searching online, it looks like he appeared at the TCM Film Festival a few years ago. I would love to see him on the station. Perhaps he can show The Cotton Club.

Lastly, I think John le Carre and David Lynch would be fascinating to hear. 

• Like 3

Alan Arkin would be both informative and entertaining.

For a guest programmer who would be introducing a night of musicals, I think Tommy Tune would be great.

I know many folks wouldn't care for this suggestion, but Seth MacFarlane loves classic film and he is entertaining.

• Like 4

Yes we did TopBilled and we had a really great time talking about him too.  Didn’t we and he would be fun.  Wouldn’t he?  Was he someone else’s subject on the other thread or was it mine to begin with?  I think it was mine to begin with.  I don’t remember and I asked you if we should maybe post him on the guest programmer board and you and I thought it was a great idea and I did that.  Remember?  So we’ll both keep our fingers crossed and hopping together right?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Yes we did TopBilled and we had a really great time talking about him too.  Didn’t we and he would be fun.  Wouldn’t he?  Was he someone else’s subject on the other thread or was it mine to begin with?  I think it was mine to begin with.  I don’t remember and I asked you if we should maybe post him on the guest programmer board and you and I thought it was a great idea and I did that.  Remember?  So we’ll both keep our fingers crossed and hopping together right?

Yes, I think you brought it up David. And I agree. Rick Moranis would be a fun guest.

On 7/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, David Guercio said:

All the Muppets together.

It might be wise to have some person curate the list chosen by: Animal.

I like very much many movies which others find unusual, odd or strange but I do not know if I am ready to watch an evening of movies chosen by: Gonzo.