Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would Like to See As Guest Programmer

I believe that it would be interesting to have a struggling actor introduce those movies which most affected them and motivated them to become actors. I do not mean total wannabes or those who have had starring roles but those actors who have some legitimate screen credits but yet have to keep their job as a waiter or dog groomer to pay their rent. Catch them before the Hollywood machine grinds the passion from them.

4 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that it would be interesting to have a struggling actor introduce those movies which most affected them and motivated them to become actors. I do not mean total wannabes or those who have had starring roles but those actors who have some legitimate screen credits but yet have to keep their job as a waiter or dog groomer to pay their rent. Catch them before the Hollywood machine grinds the passion from them.

Ya know Sans, I kind'a like your suggestion here, EXCEPT unfortunately I can see ONE thing that might make it kind'a tough FOR it to happen.

And THAT being that MOST actors aren't very bright, ya know. AND, be they successful in their chosen field or NOT! ;)

(...or haven't you ever watched 'Celebrity Jeopardy!' ???...and I AIN'T talkin' the SNL parody of it here EITHER!!!)

LOL 

On 7/26/2020 at 5:42 PM, TopBilled said:

I'd love to see Rita Moreno as a Guest Programmer. 

I don't usually watch the guest programmers, but I would like to see Rita Moreno and Seymour Pippin introduce a screening of The Ritz.

But even more than that, I would like to see Terence Davies introduce a series of his films.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Are you saying these actors are currently waiters \ dog groomers?     I ask because if that is the case what actor would wish to come on TCM to introduce movies.   I.e. their intro would be rather awkward;     I can see Ben how;  Well tonight as guest host is Sam Jones,   he had roles in these films,,,,,,,  but last time we meet he made me a great sandwich,  since he works at Subways.

10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you saying these actors are currently waiters \ dog groomers?     I ask because if that is the case what actor would wish to come on TCM to introduce movies.   I.e. their intro would be rather awkward;     I can see Ben how;  Well tonight as guest host is Sam Jones,   he had roles in these films,,,,,,,  but last time we meet he made me a great sandwich,  since he works at Subways.

Boy James! You and I are sure shootin' down Sans' suggestion up there, aren't WE?!!!  LOL

(...and even though as I said up there, I DID kind'a like it)

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know Sans, I kind'a like your suggestion here, EXCEPT unfortunately I can see ONE thing that might make it kind'a tough FOR it to happen.

And THAT being that MOST actors aren't very bright, ya know. AND, be they successful in their chosen field or NOT! ;)

(...or haven't you ever watched 'Celebrity Jeopardy!' ???...and I AIN'T talkin' the SNL parody of it here EITHER!!!)

LOL 

I have not watched that program. I am reasonably certain that actors are very nearly like real people and so individual intelligence in the community covers a common range and so it would not be terribly difficult to find at least a few of average intelligence.

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

He would be in good company because Kate Winslet was a sandwich maker in a delicatessen before she became a star.

Googling "jobs before they were stars" reveals a wide variety of mundane occupations undertaken while waiting for fame and fortune.

I believe that the average person would have more respect for a young actor who is working a common job rather than appearing in a series of clothing-optional no-budget movies.

41 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I have not watched that program. I am reasonably certain that actors are very nearly like real people and so individual intelligence in the community covers a common range and so it would not be terribly difficult to find at least a few of average intelligence.

Actually, very true this point of yours here. I was primarily playing off the old stereotype of those who go into the acting profession.

Hey, you know me, Sans. Anything for a joke, right?!  ;) 

(...STILL though, if you've never watched the Celebrity version of 'Jeopardy!', trust me here, you'd be surprised how much less general knowledge the majority of the celebrity actor contestants seem to have than the usual contestants possess...but then again, perhaps that could probably also be said of the average citizen too)

22 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hey, you know me, Sans. Anything for a joke, right?!  ;) 

I know that you have at all times been very funny. The best reassurance that I can give is that looks are not everything.

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Boy James! You and I are sure shootin' down Sans' suggestion up there, aren't WE?!!!  LOL

(...and even though as I said up there, I DID kind'a like it)

I don't know what her idea is.     I note that she sites Kate Winslet,  who " was a sandwich maker in a delicatessen before she became a star".

That isn't the type of actor I understood she was talking about in her initial post: actors who have some legitimate screen credits but yet have to keep their job as a waiter or dog groomer to pay their rent. Catch them before the Hollywood machine grinds the passion from them.

(the "but yet have to keep their job as a waiter",  means to me that TODAY they are still working as a waiter).

Kate Winslet doesn't match that so I have no idea what type of actor she is calling for.   (thus I can't knock what I don't understand).

PS:  if the idea is to have an actress like Veronica Lake (who did end up working as a waitress once her acting career was toast):  These type of actors would be very interesting.    That would make great host.     My point was what actor,  that was at this low point,  would wish to expose that to the public. 

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't know what her idea is.     I note that she sites Kate Winslet,  who " was a sandwich maker in a delicatessen before she became a star".

That isn't the type of actor I understood she was talking about in her initial post: actors who have some legitimate screen credits but yet have to keep their job as a waiter or dog groomer to pay their rent. Catch them before the Hollywood machine grinds the passion from them.

(the "but yet have to keep their job as a waiter",  means to me that TODAY they are still working as a waiter).

Kate Winslet doesn't match that so I have no idea what type of actor she is calling for.   (thus I can't knock what I don't understand).

PS:  if the idea is to have an actress like Veronica Lake (who did end up working as a waitress once her acting career was toast):  These type of actors would be very interesting.    That would make great host.     My point was what actor,  that was at this low point,  would wish to expose that to the public. 

My idea is to find actors who are at the stage in their careers that Kate Winslet was at in her career in 1991.

She had one guest role and was a regular in a six-episode series. I do not have historical data nor information on salaries in Britain but current SAG rates for such work in LA means that her total acting income in 1991 was probably equivalent to between $21,933 and $33,937 today. That is before agent's cut, SAG fees and other expenses connected to the trade.

Such an income means that most actors are not able to quit their day job because they have had some appearances on screen. They do their television or movie gig and then go back to their regular bill-paying job until their agent calls again.

Last week they were a Viking warrior with six lines in a popular series. At this moment they are making a BLT on rye with extra mayo for a deli patron. Next year they may have the lead in a major motion picture or be found face-down in the trash behind a drug house.

2 hours ago, SansFin said:

My idea is to find actors who are at the stage in their careers that Kate Winslet was at in her career in 1991.

She had one guest role and was a regular in a six-episode series. I do not have historical data nor information on salaries in Britain but current SAG rates for such work in LA means that her total acting income in 1991 was probably equivalent to between $21,933 and $33,937 today. That is before agent's cut, SAG fees and other expenses connected to the trade.

Such an income means that most actors are not able to quit their day job because they have had some appearances on screen. They do their television or movie gig and then go back to their regular bill-paying job until their agent calls again.

Last week they were a Viking warrior with six lines in a popular series. At this moment they are making a BLT on rye with extra mayo for a deli patron. Next year they may have the lead in a major motion picture or be found face-down in the trash behind a drug house.

This is a good idea and such actors would be interesting but I still wonder what actor would willingly place themselves in such a situation.    E.g. How would film producers and studio exes view such a person?        But I guess the actor's agent would advise them;  what do you have to lose,,,,,   your waiter gig,   NOT!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

(1)This is a good idea (2)and such actors would be interesting (3)but I still wonder what actor would willingly place themselves in such a situation.    E.g. (4)How would film producers and studio exes view such a person?        (5)But I guess the actor's agent would advise them;  what do you have to lose,,,,,   your waiter gig,   NOT!

(1) Yes, very possibly.

(2) Yes, they would be interesting IF they had the ability to speak extemporaneously and be articulate, personable and interesting when not reading from a script and being someone other than themselves, but not all actors are capable of this from what I've seen. (case in point being one Robert De Niro, who for YEARS was one of THE worst damn talk show guests EVER...although lately he seems a little better at this...GEEZ Bobby, it only took ya 50 freakin' years to finally LOOSEN UP, dude?!)

(3) Why not? I'd say anything they could do to get their name and likeness before the public would be a positive and as long as they possessed the qualities listed above in number-2. (well, anything other than some kind of bad press they might generate anyway, and in today's world where it seems everybody gets their feelings hurt so damn easily, this might now days be harder than it sounds)

(4) Don't see why any producers or film exes would look negatively on an actor who'd do this TCM gig. (well, just as long as the actor didn't make a fool out of themselves or look dumber than your average actor is anyway. (okay sorry, goin' for that old joke here again)  ;)

(5) Yep, I'd say any agent worth their 10% would probably advise them in this manner, alright.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is a good idea and such actors would be interesting but I still wonder what actor would willingly place themselves in such a situation.    E.g. How would film producers and studio exes view such a person?        But I guess the actor's agent would advise them;  what do you have to lose,,,,,   your waiter gig,   NOT!

Re: Situation. I do not envision: "Tonight, we have Frank Wertjoetz introducing Reveille with Beverly (1943) as the movie which most inspired him to become an actor. Frank has appeared in episodes of six television programs in the last two years but has never been called back by any of those directors for other roles. His day job is sandwich maker and general counter help at 'Mikel's Deli and Nacho Bar' on Industrial Truck Route Nine south of Pasadena. Frank is a Presbyterian but the deli is kosher so he will eat a ham and cheese  before work but he can not make you one during his regular hours of four to midnight Monday through Thursday. His specialty is a Rueben with no cheese on Pumpernickel with extra pickle juice which is only $8.95 with a small bag of chips and regular coffee." Host turns to Guest Programmer: "Frank, you wrote on FaceSpace that you were fascinated as a child by Ann Miller's bouncing anatomy. Did that aspect of the movie lead you to chose it for tonight's airing?" 

Re: Producers and Studio Execs. Any who watch TCM and happen to catch his intro might be impressed that he thinks highly of a movie which they like well enough to watch. I believe the most actual effect it might have is that it would give an "appearing as self" in their list of credits. 

Re: Agents. I do not know the SAG rules for appearing as oneself but I believe the rates are very low and the resulting commission would not buy them morning coffee. 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Re: Situation. I do not envision: "Tonight, we have Frank Wertjoetz introducing Reveille with Beverly (1943) as the movie which most inspired him to become an actor. Frank has appeared in episodes of six television programs in the last two years but has never been called back by any of those directors for other roles. His day job is sandwich maker and general counter help at 'Mikel's Deli and Nacho Bar' on Industrial Truck Route Nine south of Pasadena. Frank is a Presbyterian but the deli is kosher so he will eat a ham and cheese  before work but he can not make you one during his regular hours of four to midnight Monday through Thursday. His specialty is a Rueben with no cheese on Pumpernickel with extra pickle juice which is only $8.95 with a small bag of chips and regular coffee." Host turns to Guest Programmer: "Frank, you wrote on FaceSpace that you were fascinated as a child by Ann Miller's bouncing anatomy. Did that aspect of the movie lead you to chose it for tonight's airing?" 

Re: Producers and Studio Execs. Any who watch TCM and happen to catch his intro might be impressed that he thinks highly of a movie which they like well enough to watch. I believe the most actual effect it might have is that it would give an "appearing as self" in their list of credits. 

Re: Agents. I do not know the SAG rules for appearing as oneself but I believe the rates are very low and the resulting commission would not buy them morning coffee. 

Talent who are SAG members appearing on talk shows generally get scale (unless they sing or do stand-up or some other type of performance, in which case they'll get more).  I think the current SAG rate is in the neighborhood of $1000/day or so.  You can find the SAG contract data on line, but wading through all the various categories and contract language can get confusing if you're not in the business.   

Where it gets murky (for me) is how you categorize something like a guest programmer appearance.  Is it a one-time appearance, or will it last several weeks or months?  Is it a series (where other rules apply) or not?   Is it like a talk show appearance (like the Tonight Show)?  If a SAG member is in a series, the pay goes up.  

14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

R.O.  has a son?

Yes, and ironically he's also a struggling actor who works alongside Frank Wertjoetz at Mikel's Deli and Nacho Bar in Pasadena California.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, and ironically he's also a struggling actor who works alongside Frank Wertjoetz at Mikel's Deli and Nacho Bar in Pasadena California.

Funny enough, R.O. was once a struggling actor himself...

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Funny enough, R.O. was once a struggling actor himself...

True...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0651737/

(...and here's somethin' kind'a weird...according to his IMDb filmography here, his very first acting gig was on Death Valley Days, which has presently been referenced in the Noir Alley thread)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Interesting.  Was that when a future president was hosting that show?  ;) 

Sepiatone

No, it shows the year of 1954 as Bob's first ever gig, and so it would've been 10 years before Ronnie took over the job as host of the program from Stanley Andrews, and who called himself "The Old Ranger" on it.

(...I'm sure you remember him, don't ya Sepia?!)  OIP.Z8ZePPMi_IPSnqZRU59LJwHaD3?w=327&h=1

• Like 1