Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Travel Talks & Passing Parade : WHERE to find these online?

The Traveltalks shorts have been released to DVD; I'm not so sure about the Passing Parade shorts.  Some of them are surely extras, but I don't know which or where.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you 🙂  I see those DVDs on amazon for about $5 less (no shipping charge).  Wikipedia lists Passing Parade on several movies:

They really should make these available separately because I love Parade’s short stories:

I have the Travel Talks DVD's.  Great to watch while riding my exercise bike.  Unfortunately like so many DVD's that came out over the past several years, no guarantee they will continue.  Have not seen any for Passing Parade.  I enjoy when I happen upon one, but not sure I would purchase a DVD.

On 7/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, Davehat said:

I've always wondered why James A. FitzPatrick always pronounced a year in which something took place in history as (for example) "1900 and 21".

(...not to mention how he continually pronounced my old hometown out there on the west coast as "Los Angle-less" when he spotlighted it early on in his series in 1935 with his short titled "Los Angeles: Wonder City of the West")

That's a generational thing, I think.   My grandparents on both sides did the same w.r.t. the years.  It might also be a regionalism. 

I've also heard a slight variation on your LA pronunciation.  I've heard "Los/Lahs Angle-leees" in films (and cartoons [Bugs Bunny]) up through the late 40s.  I think I found the reason why these variants disappeared in the 1950s.  According to the link below, the city of LA came out with an official announcement on how it is to be pronounced in 1952:

http://www.laalmanac.com/geography/ge13c.php#:~:text=There was once heated debate,by the U.S. Board on

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

That's a generational thing, I think.   My grandparents on both sides did the same w.r.t. the years.  It might also be a regionalism. 

I've also heard a slight variation on your LA pronunciation.  I've heard "Los/Lahs Angle-leees" in films (and cartoons [Bugs Bunny]) up through the late 40s.  I think I found the reason why these variants disappeared in the 1950s.  According to the link below, the city of LA came out with an official announcement on how it is to be pronounced in 1952:

http://www.laalmanac.com/geography/ge13c.php#:~:text=There was once heated debate,by the U.S. Board on

Thanks for the link here, Tex. Nice to know the history of the pronunciation of L.A. 

I know many of my parent's Hoosier relatives (they were both from Indianapolis and moved to L.A. a couple of years after my father was discharged from the Army in late-1945) would call us up when I was a kid back in the late-'50s and early-'60s and tell us they were going to drive out to "Los Angle-less" to see us and want us to take 'em to Hollywood to see some movie stars and to that there newly built at the time Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and the then existent Marineland of the Pacific.

(...btw, I've always thought Jack Webb might have contributed some to getting more Americans to pronounce Los Angeles as most people have now come to pronounce it, what with the way he pronounced it during the opening scenes of his first Dragnet series in the early '50s)

One thing to add though is that many of the videos on YouTube are mislabelled. I own Bali: Isle of Paradise on DVD and it is definitely not the video titled such on YouTube. It also features many bare breasts which is probably why TCM never schedules it.