Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carmine Orrico ,was discovered by Henry Willson after he saw the sixteen year old on a  magazine cover.  Wilson brought him to Hollywood and renamed the boy John Saxon.  Saxon appeared in bit roles on two George Cukor pictures.  ( I wonder if he auditioned at one of  Cukor's notorious nude male swimming pool parties)  Saxon became a Universals teen idol star in the late 50's. The camera loved him...

I did not mean to imply that Saxon was a homosexual .  He was married three times and had a son. I thought his connection to gay Hollywood was interesting. He was not the first good looking young actor to use his charms to get ahead.  Saxon who I did meet at an autograph convention was obviously talented enough to have a long career in movies and television

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I did not mean to imply that Saxon was a homosexual .  He was married three times and had a son. I thought his connection to gay Hollywood was interesting. He was not the first good looking young actor to use his charms to get ahead.  Saxon who I did meet at an autograph convention was obviously talented enough to have a long career in movies and television

He might have been bisexual. I wondered if maybe you had some "insider knowledge" about his orientation.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He might have been bisexual. I wondered if maybe you had some "insider knowledge" about his orientation.

LOL  no I do not have any "insider information" on Mr Saxon's sex life- but thanks for the complement.  Was he bisexual? Maybe- he was part of the Henry Willson stable but did all his "clients" have to sleep with him? The bit parts in the Cukor films are very eye brow raising because yes Cukor had a fondness for good looking young men and they usually were rewarded with some bit part in his films. I was watching "My Fair Lady" and there are plenty of good looking extras- Cukor had a good eye.😉 

19 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

The first time I remember seeing him was in "The Unguarded Moment".  He made quite an impression in a very interesting role.

Introducing an exciting new personality....

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, jaragon said:

LOL  no I do not have any "insider information" on Mr Saxon's sex life- but thanks for the complement.  Was he bisexual? Maybe- he was part of the Henry Willson stable but did all his "clients" have to sleep with him? The bit parts in the Cukor films are very eye brow raising because yes Cukor had a fondness for good looking young men and they usually were rewarded with some bit part in his films. I was watching "My Fair Lady" and there are plenty of good looking extras- Cukor had a good eye.😉 

My guess is that John Saxon (and others) were groomed sexually by Henry Wilson, which today would be a crime. Many of these young men came from impoverished backgrounds and were eager to become motion picture stars. They were manipulated and exploited, and the Hollywood system allowed it to happen.

I think George Cukor groomed men too, and so did Mitchell Leisen.

In fact Fred MacMurray refused to allow Leisen on the set of My Three Sons, because Leisen had a notorious reputation for taking up with young men/boys in Europe...and MacMurray didn't want any trouble to develop with the young guys who played his sons on the sitcom. Leisen was going through a career slump and asked MacMurray, whom he had directed in many motion pictures at Paramount in the 30s and 40s, for a job directing episodes of the TV show. But MacMurray would not recommend Leisen to the producers for a job. He viewed Leisen as a predator, and I wouldn't be surprised if he knew this from experience...if Leisen had tried to put the moves on MacMurray in his early days at Paramount.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

My guess is that John Saxon (and others) were groomed sexually by Henry Wilson, which today would be a crime. Many of these young men came from impoverished backgrounds and were eager to become motion picture stars. They were manipulated and exploited, and the Hollywood system allowed it to happen.

I think George Cukor groomed men too, and so did Mitchell Leisen.

In fact Fred MacMurray refused to allow Leisen on the set of My Three Sons, because Leisen had a notorious reputation for taking up with young men/boys in Europe...and MacMurray didn't want any trouble to develop with the young guys who played his sons on the sitcom. Leisen was going through a career slump and asked MacMurray, whom he had directed in many motion pictures at Paramount in the 30s and 40s, for a job directing episodes of the TV show. But MacMurray would not recommend Leisen to the producers for a job. He viewed Leisen as a predator, and I wouldn't be surprised if he knew this from experience...if Leisen had tried to put the moves on MacMurray in his early days at Paramount.

Wilson did exploit these  young men but they probably saw the gay casting couch as way to get their foot in the door.   Cukor did use the gay casting couch too but his boys usually ended with walk on in his movies not as major stars.  Wilson would be consider a predator today- I have not seen the "Hollywood" series on Netflix but one of the criticism of this fantasia on gay Hollywood was the way it portrayed Wilson.   I can see why McMurray wan to protect the young cast of "My Three Sons" if he was familiar with Leisen's reputation. I think the casting couch for both male and female starlets was part of the Hollywood studio system.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Wilson did exploit these  young men but they probably saw the gay casting couch as way to get their foot in the door.   Cukor did use the gay casting couch too but his boys usually ended with walk on in his movies not as major stars.  Wilson would be consider a predator today- I have not seen the "Hollywood" series on Netflix but one of the criticism of this fantasia on gay Hollywood was the way it portrayed Wilson.   I can see why McMurray wan to protect the young cast of "My Three Sons" if he was familiar with Leisen's reputation. I think the casting couch for both male and female starlets was part of the Hollywood studio system.  

Exactly right. There were heterosexual predators in Hollywood as well as homosexual predators (producers, directors, agents, stars).

With Leisen, you can tell who he was sleeping with or wanting to sleep with, because he made them stars and put them in many movies-- guys like Fred MacMurray, John Lund, Ray Milland and Macdonald Carey were frequently cast by him in Paramount "A" films. In one of Leisen's films, there is a lingering crotch shot of Macdonald Carey (wearing tights), so you can guess what he was thinking on the other side of the camera!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Exactly right. There were heterosexual predators in Hollywood as well as homosexual predators (producers, directors, agents, stars).

With Leisen, you can tell who he was sleeping with or wanting to sleep with, because he made them stars and put them in many movies-- guys like Fred MacMurray, John Lund, Ray Milland and Macdonald Carey were frequently cast by him in Paramount "A" films. In one of Leisen's films, there is a lingering crotch shot of Macdonald Carey (wearing tights), so you can guess what he was thinking on the other side of the camera!

I'm not that familiar with Leisem's work but now you have me intrigued.  And yes you can always tell when a gay director is behind the camera

5 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I'm not that familiar with Leisem's work but now you have me intrigued.  And yes you can always tell when a gay director is behind the camera

The film I was referencing is BRIDE OF VENGEANCE (1949). It's on Amazon Prime Video. Current rental price is $2.99 to stream it.

• Like 1