Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dame Olivia de Havilland Memorial Tribute-- 24 Hours August 23

http://www.tcm.com/remembers/

It looks like Bette Davis' SUTS day has been bumped for a 24-hour tribute to Olivia de Havilland.

All times EST

6:00am The Male Animal

8:00am Princess O'Rourke

10:00am Light in the Piazza

12:00pm In This Our Life

1:45pm Captain Blood

4:00pm Dodge City

6:00pm The Adventures of Robin Hood

8:00pm Gone with the Wind

12:00am The Heiress

2:15am To Each His Own

4:30am Hard to Get

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
15 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Will there still be a Bette Davis SUTS?

I don’t think so. They probably just replaced Bette with Olivia. As much as I love Bette, she’s had a SOTM and at least 2 daytime tributes in a 6-month span. I’m okay with Olivia being featured instead, even if it’s for a sad reason. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don’t think so. They probably just replaced Bette with Olivia. As much as I love Bette, she’s had a SOTM and at least 2 daytime tributes in a 6-month span. I’m okay with Olivia being featured instead, even if it’s for a sad reason. 

That stinks, but it’s nice that there’s going to be a tribute to Olivia instead.

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It looks like Bette Davis' SUTS day has been bumped for a 24-hour tribute to Olivia de Havilland.

All times EST

WOW. Bette wont like that. I dont think they've EVER pre-empted a SUTS for anything since it started!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Hibi said:

HAPPY GWTW is included! All those who agree LIKE my post! :D

I've seen it before.   

I would rather they had shown two films instead of just that one; Hold Back the Dawn and It's Love I'm After. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

HAPPY GWTW is included! All those who agree LIKE my post! :D

I agree. Melanie is one of Olivia’s signature roles, the turning point of her career, it deserves to be shown. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

WOW. Bette wont like that. I dont think they've EVER pre-empted a SUTS for anything since it started!

I'd bet Bette would like it since they were lifelong friends who fought the studio system together! 😉

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

All times EST

It's a generally nice selection of Olivia's work and appropriate as a tribute to the actress as the world says farewell.

Certainly five  of the films listed were of significance in her career - Captain Blood, Robin Hood, GWTW, The Heiress and To Each His Own.

By the way, Olivia didn't view The Adventures of Robin Hood until around 20 years after it was made. And she, much to her own surprise, I gather, was enchanted by the film enough that she wrote a letter to Errol Flynn encouraging him to see it again if he hadn't done so recently. Then she had second thoughts about the letter and tore it up, thinking Errol might think her silly. Not long afterwards Flynn died, and Olivia regretted not having sent him the missive.

the-adventures-of-robin-hood-old-robin-h

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree. Melanie is one of Olivia’s signature roles, the turning point of her career, it deserves to be shown. 

It all depends on how one defines turning-point;   Note that GWTW and the role of Melanie did NOT lead to better roles for Olivia from Jack Warner.   In fact he deliberately cast her as a secondary actress in The Private Lives of Elizabeth to keep-her-in-her-place (making her play second fiddle as a love interest to Flynn and her friend Davis).     Farmed her out to United Artist for Raffles and then cast her as yet just another love interest in a Flynn,  male dominated action film,  Santa Fe Trail.    Her only leading role (i.e. actress having the lead part and billing and not a male actor) was My Love Come Back (which was quickly forgotten by the public).

Warner than loaned Olivia out to Paramount for Hold Back the Dawn,  a well rounded and solid role for any actress,  where Olivia was nominated for Best Actress,  in a film that was also nominated for Best Picture.    This cemented that GWTW wasn't just a fluke but that Olivia was one of the best actresses in Hollywood.   RKO clearly took notice since they took the risk of signing her for Government Girl,  which,  had she lost her lawsuit,  RKO couldn't have released without paying Jack Warner for her services.

The only other leading role Olivia was given by Warner was in Princess O'Rourke.       After Olivia won her lawsuit,  Paramount quickly signed her to a limited contract.   They knew from Hold Back the Dawn that they had leading lady.   Something Jack Warner never figured out.

So I view Hold Back the Dawn as Olivia career turning-point.

15 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

John Wayne also got canned this year, replaced by Natalie Wood.

Please remind me of why that was done (Wood for Wayne).    Of course we know why with Bette and Olivia.

I can understand Natalie for George Raft,,,,,, 

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I know, but I still think Bette would be steamed! Preempt some other SUTS day, NOT mine!

Olivia was her dear friend so I don't think she'd mind, however if it had been Miriam Hopkins...

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Olivia was her dear friend so I don't think she'd mind, however if it had been Miriam Hopkins...

Or worst yet, how about Bette being bumped in favor of Joan Crawford?

Now that would REALLY have Bette rolling in her grave.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Sorry!

Yea,  but we all know Bette wasn't really sorry!     As for finding this on You Tube:    I'm learning how to search the site to get what I want;  E.g.  Here I put in David and Hopkins Old Acquaintance"  and just a lot of clips from parts of the film,  or the full film, but not the one I wanted.    So I added "Sha"     and up this came with Shaking Scene.     I.e. the key was  that "Sha",  took me right to that scene!

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Please remind me of why that was done (Wood for Wayne).    Of course we know why with Bette and Olivia.

I can understand Natalie for George Raft,,,,,, 

The only two things I can guess is maybe they felt Wayne had been featured a lot with the John Ford tribute this month, or because of the controversy surrounding the John Wayne airport.

28 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It all depends on how one defines turning-point;   Note that GWTW and the role of Melanie did NOT lead to better roles for Olivia from Jack Warner.   In fact he deliberately cast her as a secondary actress in The Private Lives of Elizabeth to keep-her-in-her-place (making her play second fiddle as a love interest to Flynn and her friend Davis).     Farmed her out to United Artist for Raffles and then cast her as yet just another love interest in a Flynn,  male dominated action film,  Santa Fe Trail.    Her only leading role (i.e. actress having the lead part and billing and not a male actor) was My Love Come Back (which was quickly forgotten by the public).

Warner than loaned Olivia out to Paramount for Hold Back the Dawn,  a well rounded and solid role for any actress,  where Olivia was nominated for Best Actress,  in a film that was also nominated for Best Picture.    This cemented that GWTW wasn't just a fluke but that Olivia was one of the best actresses in Hollywood.   RKO clearly took notice since they took the risk of signing her for Government Girl,  which,  had she lost her lawsuit,  RKO couldn't have released without paying Jack Warner for her services.

The only other leading role Olivia was given by Warner was in Princess O'Rourke.       After Olivia won her lawsuit,  Paramount quickly signed her to a limited contract.   They knew from Hold Back the Dawn that they had leading lady.   Something Jack Warner never figured out.

So I view Hold Back the Dawn as Olivia career turning-point.

From a studio point of view, I suppose HOLD BACK THE DAWN did put Olivia on the map as an actress on her own rather than lend support to her more famous co-stars, but when it comes to audiences/viewers when they hear Olivia's name,  I think a good majority of them have Melanie from GONE WITH THE WIND and/or the number of films she made with Errol Flynn pop into their minds.

• Like 3