Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jean Simmons. Guys and Dolls (1955).

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I thought she sang quite well, definitely better than Brando.

Yes,   Simmons sang much better than Brando,  but due to studio era magic (as Ben explained last night),   Brando sounded better than this lady:

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,   Simmons sang much better than Brando,  but due to studio era magic (as Ben explained last night),   Brando sounded better than this lady:

True, that is one time I would kneel for the National anthem, because I would be throwing up.

• Haha 2

"If I Were a Bell" is a great little tune,  my favourite in the whole show.  I love Jean's rendition of it,  she really nails both that feeling you get when you're drunk (especially when you're new to being drunk)  that you can do anything,  along with her attraction to Sky Masterson.  I love the way she sort of stumbles around, throwing her arms around him one moment, singing her head off the next.  Plus it's such a good song.  A lot of jazz musicians liked to play it.  Miles Davis, for one.  Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding !

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

"If I Were a Bell" is a great little tune,  my favourite in the whole show.  I love Jean's rendition of it,  she really nails both that feeling you get when you're drunk (especially when you're new to being drunk)  that you can do anything,  along with her attraction to Sky Masterson.  I love the way she sort of stumbles around, throwing her arms around him one moment, singing her head off the next.  Plus it's such a good song.  A lot of jazz musicians liked to play it.  Miles Davis, for one.  Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding !

Yea,  Coltrane and Davis;    for me that a better paring than Sinatra and Brando. 

Brando may not have been on Sinatra's level when it came to singing, but I love how he made "Luck Be A Lady" sound so intimate, almost like a prayer.

(It was my first Brando film, actually. I remember it fondly.)

28 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

It was my first Brando film, actually. I remember it fondly.

You picked a nice colorful one for your first.

Brando said of making Guys and Dolls, "Everything I've done so far has been black, brown or red. I decided I'd like to do something yellow".

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

You picked a nice colorful one for your first.

Brando said of making Guys and Dolls, "Everything I've done so far has been black, brown or red. I decided I'd like to do something yellow".

Interesting comment, and considering he really didn't do THAT until his very NEXT picture...The Teahouse of the August Moon.

(...wait...ya THINK he  might've been speakin' in some kind'a metaphorical manner here?...yeah, probably so, huh)  ;)