Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Life lessons from Star Trek.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock

"You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

"Things are only impossible until they're not." - Jean-Luc Picard

"You can use logic to justify almost anything. That's its power. And its flaw." - Kathryn Janeway

"Treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home." - Dr. Leonard McCoy

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Scotty

Never feed a tribble.

When estimating how long a job will take, overestimate. When you do better, your captain will be impressed.

Wearing red makes you a target.

The best way to travel is to boldly go where no one has gone before.

When you don’t know what to say, pause.

5 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Never feed a tribble.

Well, that goes without saying.

6 minutes ago, SansFin said:

When estimating how long a job will take, overestimate. When you do better, your captain will be impressed.

is that from a particular program, or something you derived from your viewing?

7 minutes ago, SansFin said:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one.

Is that from a show?

Thanks for the list!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

is that from a particular program, or something you derived from your viewing?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one.

Is that from a show?

The first was  Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott's approach to virtually everything during the original series. I do not know if it was ever overtly stated.

The second is from one of the movies.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, SansFin said:

The first was  Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott's approach to virtually everything during the original series. I do not know if it was ever overtly stated.

The second is from one of the movies.

And the third:  

Klingons may call your captain a "Denebean slime devil" or a "Tin-plated dictator with delusions of grandeur"...But NEVER let them call your one true ship a "garbage scow".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, EricJ said:

And the third:  

Klingons may call your captain a "Denebean slime devil" or a "Tin-plated dictator with delusions of grandeur"...But NEVER let them call your one true ship a "garbage scow".

it's tin-plated dictator with delusions of godhood.

:)

I couldn't find a clip with this scene excerpted.  It's probably forgotten among Commander Scott's other plethora of famous lines, so I've had to post the entire show of Bread and Circuses:

The action begins at 30:12.  It's the most arresting thing I ever heard him say.  The best evidence of his fitness for captaincy.  He's fully aware of the capabilities of the Enterprise.  But canny enough to know how to apply them.  Direct action is not always possible, or advisable.  Just like direct proof, or direct knowledge.  Some situations call for indirection, which is not to say passivity.  For those who don't want to go to the time in the video, I post the text here, but you really want to see James Doohan's delivery:

Ship's log, stardate 4041.2. Chief Engineer Scott recording. Captain Kirk and his landing party have checked in

[Bridge]

SCOTT: But they have used the code term Condition Green, which means they're in trouble. But it also prohibits my taking any action. (ends log entry) Mister Chekov, pinpoint power source locations. Type, power, load factors, and how much our beams will have to pull to overload them.
CHEKOV: That may take some time.
SCOTT: Let it take time, lad. They're in trouble, and I'm under orders not to interfere. However, no order can stop me from frightening them. It may do no good, but it may suggest to someone just what a starship can really do. Aye.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SansFin said:

Unless she thinks you're a creep.

Never feed a tribble.

After midnight.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Scotty

Now, that's wisdom that's useful to have.

Wow, everyone here is still focused on the original series.  I'm going to repeat myself here, and unequivocally state that I believe "The Next Generation " is the better show.               Gasp !          Less cheesy, for one thing.   Now let the phasers fly !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Wow, everyone here is still focused on the original series.  I'm going to repeat myself here, and unequivocally state that I believe "The Next Generation " is the better show.               Gasp !          Less cheesy, for one thing.   Now let the phasers fly !

God.  I can't even watch the original series.  I was/am all for Next Gen except for that tacky updo Deanna Troi wore for the first few seasons.  

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Wow, everyone here is still focused on the original series.  I'm going to repeat myself here, and unequivocally state that I believe "The Next Generation " is the better show. 

With Riker beard, or without?  Our response will depend on your answer.

17 hours ago, SansFin said:

"You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

Spock:  "Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers...that smell bad."

- I, Mudd

Kirk:  "But why do I have to negotiate peace with the Klingons?"

Spock:  "There is an old Vulcan proverb:  'Only Nixon could go to China.'"

- # VI: the Undiscovered Country

17 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

The Klingons were a lot scarier in Next Gen, that's for sure.

19 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Two of the quotes I posted were by Captain Jean-Luc Picard who was captain of USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D in: Star Trek: The Degeneration (1987-1994). 

I included even a quote by: Kathryn Janeway who was a captain in: Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001) to demonstrate how very inclusive I am of all iterations of the show with no distinction for gender, century or quality of acting, scripts or special fx. 

I truly feel that it is slightly unfair to compare the original series to the later programs set in the same universe. It is nearly at all times the case that the second season of a program is better than the first because the characters have resolved and developed and the writers have more freedom to explore niche aspects of the setting. Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994) could be said to be the original series' second season because the original series was prevented from significantly growing because the morals and standards of the age had very tight borders and the series pushed them to the limit very early and so the entire run was basically locked in 'season one' mode. 

I believe that many of the episodes of seasons three to six of: ST:TNG are the best shows of all of the series. I believe also that certain episodes in seasons one and seven are the most cringeworthy pieces of bovine excrement which ever aired on public airwaves outside the realm of reality television and BBC soaps. 

It is generally true that I would chose to watch a random episode from: ST:TNG over watching one from the original series but it is much more likely that I would truly prefer to watch one from: Firefly (2002-2003).

• Thanks 1

Well said,  SansFin, as usual.  I especially liked this bit:

"I believe also that certain episodes in seasons one and seven are the most cringeworthy pieces of bovine excrement which ever aired on public airwaves outside the realm of reality television and BBC soaps. ..."

True,  "Star Trek :  The Next Generation" was fully capable of dreadful "bovine excrement", as you say.  I agree, I'd never claim that every episode was good or even worth watching.  I especially cringe at all the episodes,  (they seemed to especially like doing this in the first few seasons)  in which Captain Commander Riker has some kind of romantic escapade with some random lovely, alien species or otherwise.  Very cheesy.   Lots of other flaws in the show too, I'd never argue otherwise.

I'm actually not saying that "The Next Generation " series is "better" than the original per sec  (ok, I did say just that a couple of posts back),  and you make a very reasonable point that they were still trying things out in the original series, ideas that had not yet gained acceptance, etc., so it's unfair to compare the two.

I'm more just disappointed that almost all the posts and pics on this thread are from the original series, suggesting that interest in "The Next Generation" is low.

Full disclosure:  I have to admit, I myself am stuck on "The Next Generation" and never bothered with "Deep Space Nine"  or "Voyager" or whatever other newer Star Trek series followed "The Next Generation".  So I suppose I'm doing the same thing that those who love the original series best are doing.

Perhaps I need to do a mind meld with a Vulcan to see things from more than one perspective.

image.jpeg.72a404fae5d4351538ca416f82cc3d2d.jpeg

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I believe that many of the episodes of seasons three to six of: ST:TNG are the best shows of all of the series. I believe also that certain episodes in seasons one and seven are the most cringeworthy pieces of bovine excrement which ever aired on public airwaves outside the realm of reality television and BBC soaps. 

For example put "Spock's Brain", traditionally considered to be the worst TOS episode, up against any of the TNG contenders for the title, like "Geneses".

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

in which Captain Riker has some kind of romantic escapade with some random lovely, alien species or otherwise

I remember this. Riker fell in love (or was paying attention to) a young android who was thought to be the daughter of Data. I remember laughing when Data asked Riker, "As her father, I would like to know your intentions," which was funny at the time within the context of such an exchange between a non-human and a human. And the way they set it up.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:42 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Nobody here a Next Generation fan ?  I somehow missed Star Trek the first time around, and have seen very few episodes of the original series.  (I'd like to, though, watch them all.)   But I discovered "Star Trek:  The Next Generation"  when it originally aired, in the '90s.  I loved it, and now own the complete series, all 7 seasons, on DVD.  In fact, I'm re-watching them all over the summer.  I'm now at Season 4.

It's a great show,  so smart and thought-provoking, not to mention entertaining.  Isn't anyone here a fan of Captain Picard and company?

I'm a Next Gen fan! Love me some Q.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lydecker said:

God.  I can't even watch the original series.  I was/am all for Next Gen except for that tacky updo Deanna Troi wore for the first few seasons.  

She hated that wig. I saw  Marina Sirtis & Jonathan Frakes at a Trek convention in  Boston one year and they were fabulous! They came out on stage like gangbusters and asked the audience to take pictures  right away, because they didn't want flashes to go off while they were discussing the show. They were very professional and a lot of fun, posing for pictures.  It was one of those days I will never forget.

• Like 2

I went to a Trek convention in Portland, Maine and while walking through the rooms with stuff for sale, who should be rubbing shoulders and walking through the crowd bigger than life was John de Lancie like it was nothing.  I was nuts about Q at the time and my tongue was hanging out. It was so cool.  He is a very gracious man.  Very friendly.

• Like 1