Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Life lessons from Star Trek.

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well said,  SansFin, as usual.  I especially liked this bit:

"I believe also that certain episodes in seasons one and seven are the most cringeworthy pieces of bovine excrement which ever aired on public airwaves outside the realm of reality television and BBC soaps. ..."

True,  "Star Trek :  The Next Generation" was fully capable of dreadful "bovine excrement", as you say.  I agree, I'd never claim that every episode was good or even worth watching.  I especially cringe at all the episodes,  (they seemed to especially like doing this in the first few seasons)  in which Captain Riker has some kind of romantic escapade with some random lovely, alien species or otherwise.  Very cheesy.   Lots of other flaws in the show too, I'd never argue otherwise.

I'm actually not saying that "The Next Generation " series is "better" than the original per sec  (ok, I did say just that a couple of posts back),  and you make a very reasonable point that they were still trying things out in the original series, ideas that had not yet gained acceptance, etc., so it's unfair to compare the two.

I'm more just disappointed that almost all the posts and pics on this thread are from the original series, suggesting that interest in "The Next Generation" is low.

Full disclosure:  I have to admit, I myself am stuck on "The Next Generation" and never bothered with "Deep Space Nine"  or "Voyager" or whatever other newer Star Trek series followed "The Next Generation".  So I suppose I'm doing the same thing that those who love the original series best are doing.

Perhaps I need to do a mind meld with a Vulcan to see things from more than one perspective.

image.jpeg.72a404fae5d4351538ca416f82cc3d2d.jpeg

When the Next Gen first broadcast, there was a coworker that complained that they were doing stories from the original show  and while that is true, they put a new spin on it. I adore the show and the films that followed. They really had something there.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

"Don't heed silly misinformation, aye"

star-trek-james-doohan-scotty.jpg?w=830

"Affirmative"

Uhura_station_4340.jpg

Sure, the big wheels could wear red shirts without fear of harm, but the everyday slobs wore them

at their own risk, especially if they beamed down to a planet. Zap.

Taking a closer look at Khan, he looks like he might be in need of a bro.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

For example put "Spock's Brain", traditionally considered to be the worst TOS episode, up against any of the TNG contenders for the title, like "Geneses".

Ok, but that particular episode of TNG is one of the show's worst ever, so it's a bit unfair to cite it. It was definitely not a typical episode.  (It was a mess.)  I have not seen "Spock's Brain" , so am not in a position to compare it with "Genesis".   Maybe we can agree that both Star Trek series had their share of rubbish moments.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

For example put "Spock's Brain", traditionally considered to be the worst TOS episode

Oh, not nearly.

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Wow, everyone here is still focused on the original series.  I'm going to repeat myself here, and unequivocally state that I believe "The Next Generation " is the better show.               Gasp !          Less cheesy, for one thing.   Now let the phasers fly !

Never underestimate cheesiness.  But seriously, my first reaction is don't take it so serious.  This is meant primarily for fun, as all the things I post here, even the ones I'm serious about.  They are only TV shows, after all.

The second reaction is I post only Star Trek life lessons because that's the only series I watched.  That and the first two movies, which remain as vague and troubling memories.  But don't feel bound by my limitations.  If you can find wisdom in any of the Star Trek (or dreck) episodes or iterations, I'm eager to see it.  Even bad episodes, because even bad TV can have something worthwhile in it.

More life lessons to follow.

2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I went to a Trek convention in Portland, Maine and while walking through the rooms with stuff for sale, who should be rubbing shoulders and walking through the crowd bigger than life was John de Lancie like it was nothing.  I was nuts about Q at the time and my tongue was hanging out. It was so cool.  He is a very gracious man.  Very friendly.

Loved Q!!! I've always thought John de Lancie was a really talented guy (even before his Q days.)

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Oh, not nearly.

Never underestimate cheesiness.  But seriously, my first reaction is don't take it so serious.  This is meant primarily for fun, as all the things I post here, even the ones I'm serious about.  They are only TV shows, after all.

The second reaction is I post only Star Trek life lessons because that's the only series I watched.  That and the first two movies, which remain as vague and troubling memories.  But don't feel bound by my limitations.  If you can find wisdom in any of the Star Trek (or dreck) episodes or iterations, I'm eager to see it.  Even bad episodes, because even bad TV can have something worthwhile in it.

More life lessons to follow.

You're right, slayton, they're both just tv shows.  However,  if you read the comments I've posted here on your thread, I think you'll see that I indeed do not take it too seriously. I've been celebrating the silliness in Star Trek, whatever version,  along with everyone else.   

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

Loved Q!!! I've always thought John de Lancie was a really talented guy (even before his Q days.)

Good example of the way TNG could be silly /playful....the episodes featuring Q are usually among the more comic ones in the series.  I suspect John de Lancie had a ball playing Q.   "That said",  some of the Q episodes also had some life lessons neatly tucked into them.  For instance, "Deja Q",  in which the trouble-making Q has lost his powers and is reduced to a mere human.   He has to learn humility.  Trying to defend his former high-handed ways when the Enterprise crew reminds him of how obnoxious he'd been to them, Q responds, 

"I'm not good in groups.  It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent."     Such a funny line !

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok, but that particular episode of TNG is one of the show's worst ever, so it's a bit unfair to cite it. It was definitely not a typical episode.  (It was a mess.)  

But 'Genesis' was scary. Me and my kid found it scary, anyway.

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Good example of the way TNG could be silly /playful....the episodes featuring Q are usually among the more comic ones in the series.  I suspect John de Lancie had a ball playing Q.   "That said",  some of the Q episodes also had some life lessons neatly tucked into them.  For instance, "Deja Q",  in which the trouble-making Q has lost his powers and is reduced to a mere human.   He has to learn humility.  Trying to defend his former high-handed ways when the Enterprise crew reminds him of how obnoxious he'd been to them, Q responds, 

"I'm not good in groups.  It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent."     Such a funny line !

Red alert...

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Q responds, 

Great line.

• Haha 2
On 7/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Also  (but I made this one up)  the  most threatening of all the aliens the Star Trek TNG crew encounters is The Borg. 

The Borg episodes are absolute fan favorites. The Borg are so relentless and unreachable. Every time a Borg episode occurred you knew it would be a supremely perilous one and would have you on the edge of your seat. I loved Borg episodes. They had a great creepiness vibe to them as well - remember the baby Borgs, all hooked up?

But my very favorite episodes are the ones that are mega-mysterious - the deliciously eerie ones. The ones that produce shivers.

The most memorable of these for me are Identity Crisis and Schisms.

Do you have a favorite "type" of episode?

1 hour ago, SadPanda said:

The Borg episodes are absolute fan favorites. The Borg are so relentless and unreachable. Every time a Borg episode occurred you knew it would be a supremely perilous one and would have you on the edge of your seat. I loved Borg episodes. They had a great creepiness vibe to them as well - remember the baby Borgs, all hooked up?

But my very favorite episodes are the ones that are mega-mysterious - the deliciously eerie ones. The ones that produce shivers.

The most memorable of these for me are Identity Crisis and Schisms.

Do you have a favorite "type" of episode?

the one with the topless Lwaxana and Deanna Troi.

(hooray for majel and marina)

:)

Lwaxana and Deanna Troi. #betazoid | Fondos de comic, Ciencia ...

There's something Spock says near the beginning of A Taste of Armageddon that is apposite.  Anan has just explained, to Kirk's disbelief, how they have fought a war for five hundred years with a rival planet by computer, mutually destroying by themselves the citizens calculated to have been killed, preserving both civilizations from obliteration.  It's a short statement and is quickly forgotten, but is incisive.  It comes at 1:47 in the clip:

It's long been a position I've held.  People, those dedicated to an ideal, a cause, or something, preoccupied with it to the extent that they structure the world around it, will think that if others only understood, if their position could just be explained, they would agree.  Or, that if people disagree, they just don't--or won't--understand.     Oh, I understand, I understand completely.  I do not agree.

• Like 2

I've held back on posting my Star Trek "life Lesson" since this thread was started and primarily due my questioning if it truly is one. But now, I'll just come right out and say it.

The very first "life lesson" I remember getting while watching Star Trek back in the late-'60s as a teenager was that when Joan Collins played a GOOD girl (in this a case, a social worker with a heart of gold named Edith Keeler) she was even MORE desirable than all those times she had played a BAD girl in other stuff, and which was usually the case for her.

OIP.jzMHJgiRdi-8RCckcmuBDgHaD4?pid=Api&r

collins.jpg

And so I suppose my "life lesson" in THIS case was that good girls can be sexy as hell TOO sometimes, AND a good thing to know when you're an inexperienced teenager with massive amounts of hormones raging through your body, and 'cause bad girls will usually only get you into a lot of trouble in the long run.

(...yep, THERE'S ya a "life lesson" alright...some guys never learn this, ya know)  ;)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Blue dresses on Bonanza. Don't wear.

I didn't really notice the color of their dresses, but any woman who was about in marry a Cartwright

was in big trouble. If I recall correctly, Little Joe actually did get married and was working on a house

for his new bride.......well, let's just say the honeymoon was cut short by murder.